home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #11
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC DAD View Post
Are you sure they can do this? If there is no availability at the 60 day mark I wouldn't think they would let you reallocate points in that way.
I have never had to deal with holding points, so I can't speak from any experience, but I wondered about that as well. If the room is still available at 60 days, then I can see them reallocating points. If the room is not available at 60 days, I had assumed they wouldn't reallocate.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

My DVC Caste: Happy to be a Donald!
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #12
littlelulu01
Studio

Thought I would come back and report outcome. I was able to cancel reservation and points went into holding good for current use year, non bankable and able to use within 60 days. Daughter's boyfriend is due home this weekend and so they pushed their vacation out a week. The negative was that the following week point values for Aulani jumped quite a bit per night/different season. The good news was that they did have a room available. The only availability was for a one bedroom ocean view and so it ate the holding points plus plus. I'm still happy they get to go, I don't need to mess around with holding points and they should have a fabulous time.

Aulani's point seasons are very strange. Not sure how they reasoned the reallocation of the seasons - perhaps it has to do with Japanese holidays but it is obvious from looking at availability calendar that the weekends sure go fast and there's a lot of mid week availability. There is no point increase for weekend stays and wonder if another point reallocation will be necessary in the future.

Edit to add: Alaska Airlines was super about rearranging the flights. There was no change fee and they also let me use the companion fare when it clearly states no changes are allowed. They did ask for some verification of deployment last min extension.

Last edited by littlelulu01; 04-20-2017 at 05:21 PM.
littlelulu01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #13
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelulu01 View Post
Thought I would come back and report outcome. I was able to cancel reservation and points went into holding good for current use year, non bankable and able to use within 60 days. Daughter's boyfriend is due home this weekend and so they pushed their vacation out a week. The negative was that the following week point values for Aulani jumped quite a bit per night/different season. The good news was that they did have a room available. The only availability was for a one bedroom ocean view and so it ate the holding points plus plus. I'm still happy they get to go, I don't need to mess around with holding points and they should have a fabulous time.

Aulani's point seasons are very strange. Not sure how they reasoned the reallocation of the seasons - perhaps it has to do with Japanese holidays but it is obvious from looking at availability calendar that the weekends sure go fast and there's a lot of mid week availability. There is no point increase for weekend stays and wonder if another point reallocation will be necessary in the future.

Edit to add: Alaska Airlines was super about rearranging the flights. There was no change fee and they also let me use the companion fare when it clearly states no changes are allowed. They did ask for some verification of deployment last min extension.

Glad everything worked out for you. Hope they enjoy!
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #14
MouseOfCards
Two Bedroom

Quote:

Thanks for reporting back. Happy to hear that thing everything turned out OK.
MouseOfCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #15
flypwm
One Bedroom

Quote:
Alaska's reps are fairly well empowered to use discretion and override policies, at least compared to the legacies. They've done me some favors over the years.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:44 AM   #16
anne122679
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC DAD View Post
Are you sure they can do this? If there is no availability at the 60 day mark I wouldn't think they would let you reallocate points in that way.
We were able to do this earlier this year. I might have just lucked out with a super helpful CM though. We had booked a trip for someone, but that person lost their job within the 30 day cancellation period, so those points went into holding. I called member services, and a super helpful woman put me on a hold a couple of times, but she was able to take the holding points and swamp them out with points we had used to book a trip that we were less than 60 days away from taking.
anne122679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:41 AM   #17
Jasonv1
Two Bedroom

Call and explain, you have a good shot at getting them taken out of holding. CM's seem to be able to do just about anything as experienced by me last month:

My wife needed to have unexpected surgery a few weeks ahead of a planned trip earlier this month and not only did they restore the points to "regular" status the CM even "unborrowed" them, which I did not even ask for. I was only hoping to get them taken out of holding so I could book SSR more than 30 days out.

Let's be honest, is a CM really going to hesitate to help you out given it is related to the military? I wouldn't.

Just be nice, say thank you, etc.

DVC properties I've tried: VWL-BRV (owner), AUL (owner), SSR (owner), VB, VGF, BWV, PVB, BLT, AKV
Jasonv1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #18
littlelulu01
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonv1 View Post
Call and explain, you have a good shot at getting them taken out of holding. CM's seem to be able to do just about anything as experienced by me last month:

My wife needed to have unexpected surgery a few weeks ahead of a planned trip earlier this month and not only did they restore the points to "regular" status the CM even "unborrowed" them, which I did not even ask for. I was only hoping to get them taken out of holding so I could book SSR more than 30 days out.

Let's be honest, is a CM really going to hesitate to help you out given it is related to the military? I wouldn't.

Just be nice, say thank you, etc.
It actually worked out fine. He is on his way back now and so they pushed out their trip a week. The only issue was available rooms. I was lucky in that a room at Aulani was available for their new last minute dates but the new dates are just in a higher point season and they're now in a one bedroom ocean view so more than doubled points use. I'm a plan ahead person and so Dvc works great but with someone in the military not so much. Im trying to plan a family trip, including him, 7 months out right now and I know that there's a chance he might not be able to come. It's difficult with Dvc once the kids are grown because planning for something big like a week in a 3 bedroom could potentially be a huge waste of points. I was very impressed with the airline who totally squared them away with no charge. With Dvc it's not that I even needed to deal with the holding points- they got gobbled up with the rescheduled dates and I had to use a bunch more to get them a room.
littlelulu01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #19
Jasonv1
Two Bedroom

Good to hear it worked out at least.

Those more expensive seasons at Aulani are definitely brutal with points costs. I actually bought there last year to ensure that I had access to priority booking during the "cheaper" first 3 weeks of June as I'm not sure I would make the trip otherwise (for us Hawaii has to be a 2 week trip to justify the airfare from the east coast).

Quote:
It actually worked out fine. He is on his way back now and so they pushed out their trip a week. The only issue was available rooms. I was lucky in that a room at Aulani was available for their new last minute dates but the new dates are just in a higher point season and they're now in a one bedroom ocean view so more than doubled points use. I'm a plan ahead person and so Dvc works great but with someone in the military not so much. Im trying to plan a family trip, including him, 7 months out right now and I know that there's a chance he might not be able to come. It's difficult with Dvc once the kids are grown because planning for something big like a week in a 3 bedroom could potentially be a huge waste of points. I was very impressed with the airline who totally squared them away with no charge. With Dvc it's not that I even needed to deal with the holding points- they got gobbled up with the rescheduled dates and I had to use a bunch more to get them a room.

DVC properties I've tried: VWL-BRV (owner), AUL (owner), SSR (owner), VB, VGF, BWV, PVB, BLT, AKV
Jasonv1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #20
Tryntje57
One Bedroom

Thanks for posting the update, and so happy it worked out, even with the extra points you had to use.

As someone who is incredibly grateful to our armed forces and understands the hardship of deployment, it truly has to mean a lot to them that you've done this. What a great Mom you are!
Tryntje57 is offline   Reply With Quote