home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 06:32 AM   #71
melk
Grand Villa

Keep up the great trip report! While I love going to WDW with our kids, we've enjoyed a couple of childless trips in the last three years.

I think I'll look into going to the Yachtsman for dinner on our next visit. We've never been there and DH does love his steak.
melk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:34 AM   #72
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Your husband is still cracking me up! Thanks for the thoughts on Yachtsman's. I go back and forth on wanting to eat there as well for the exact same reasons (Midwestern people know their steaks)! We have not decided to try it yet though. We've had a lot of just okay steaks at Disney but not quite worth the price they charge. Do you think it's worth it to go again for you? Or would it be worth it for someone who knows and loves steaks from this neck of the woods to go?
Old 04-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #73
MamaB24
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Your husband is still cracking me up! Thanks for the thoughts on Yachtsman's. I go back and forth on wanting to eat there as well for the exact same reasons (Midwestern people know their steaks)! We have not decided to try it yet though. We've had a lot of just okay steaks at Disney but not quite worth the price they charge. Do you think it's worth it to go again for you? Or would it be worth it for someone who knows and loves steaks from this neck of the woods to go?
Personally I would look for somewhere else to try because once I got past the choose your steak it was not phenomenal. I could most likely go to another type of restaurant on the same level and not only get as good of a steak but have an option for more interesting selections. I will remember the beef I had at Cali Grill more than this steak...

I posed the question to DH thinking his opinion may differ, but we are in agreement. He too would try somewhere else. Hope that helps!

OKW since 2016
"Tricky fish! Tricky fish!"
MamaB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:48 PM   #74
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaB24 View Post
Personally I would look for somewhere else to try because once I got past the choose your steak it was not phenomenal. I could most likely go to another type of restaurant on the same level and not only get as good of a steak but have an option for more interesting selections. I will remember the beef I had at Cali Grill more than this steak...

I posed the question to DH thinking his opinion may differ, but we are in agreement. He too would try somewhere else. Hope that helps!
Thank you - totally helpful! I think we'll just leave it be. Reminds me of how we feel about Le Cellier. My husband forgot we ate there. Though honestly the steak at Grand Floridian Cafť for the Disney price it was, wasn't bad my husband said. To the point that my husband got it a second time. Not amazing mind you, but a good piece of meat for what Disney charges.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #75
MamaB24
One Bedroom

Default Last Day at Disney...

I'm posting this as we are at Universal today, so it will be in parts.

Our last morning at Magic Kingdom was an early riser. We had 7:30 BOG reservations and DH had a yet unknown scavenger hunt to complete.

We arrived at the park just before the posted 7am EMH, and I found it interesting that they held us at the main entrance. We never experienced the new early morning procedures. Once they let us in, most of the masses went to the right off the hub where they scanned MBs to enter Fantasyland. We had some time before breakfast, so we hopped on Peter Pan. After that we headed to check in for breakfast.

At check-in, we were the first ones there, and they handed us a surprise guest for breakfast.

Not sure why we were so lucky, but we had some fun photo ops while waiting for the doors to open.

OKW since 2016
Old 04-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #76
MamaB24
One Bedroom

We went through the pre-order line and were greeted by a manager. Another first. She told us she would show us our table....? This is what we found.

They seated us in the main ballroom next to the windows with snow. Folded rose napkins, place settings and best wishes for our anniversary. A moment t of Disney magic.

Breakfast was typical fare. We enjoyed the special attention. The manager took our picture as well and brought us a cupcake after we finished eating. Nothing like grey stuff for breakfast.

We walked around the different rooms for a bit and grabbed some photos.

When we were ready to leave, the manager had us place Lumiere in his place of honor.

The plan when we headed out was to take a page from Fmer55 and tour starting in Frontierland. We had no FP for splash or btmr, so we were banking on the lower lines.

OKW since 2016
Old 04-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #77
MamaB24
One Bedroom

Default Scavenger Hunt

We left BOG and ran into Anastasia and Drizella. Grabbed a pic.

We then headed to Frontierland, rode BTMR and Splash. Both were still essentially walk-on. I cannot remember the last time I rode BTMR via the normal queue.

By the time we exited Splash, it was about 9:15. I had arranged for DH's "surprise" to start at 10. The pixie dust must have been flowing, because I was not worried at all about timing. We had a starting point near the castle, and I wanted to ride Haunted Mansion, so we meandered through the pin trading shop in Frontierland, made a Photopass stop

...and then headed to HM. The wait was 10 minutes, so we were on quickly. I had been texting my magical helper with updates to our location, so she would make sure everything was ready on time. I let her know we were exiting HM, and she gave the all clear.

I don't want to share all of the details because I would hate to ruin the surprise for anyone else who may be interested in using this for future trips. However, I will say that we started at Cinderella's wishing well, which I told DH I had never seen (the truth!) and wanted to try to get a pic. I took his pic at the well, and then I told him to try to photobomb the pic (Thanks for the idea and help!) from a nearby topiary. (I had seen his magical scroll lying in the topiary.) Here is his response:

His first words, "How do they know????" Well, he was ready, and we were off!

The hunt took us all over Frontierland, Fantasyland and Adventureland. It involved using one of our FP+. Some things were easier to find than others. It was so much fun to watch.

When all was said and done, I had arranged for him to receive a gift at the end. I know it is very non-Disney, but I had pre-purchased (with the help of my magical helper) Gringotts cash because our next few days were going to be at Universal. He was so happy not only for the fun of the event but for the thoughtfulness of me putting it together for him.

We were all finished around 11:30, just in time for our Jungle Cruise FP. We ran to grab some coffee and some ears for our friends we have the privilege of bringing in September for their first visit.

From there it was off to Space Mountain with a FP. Since we had the Express transportation, we decided to park hop on a whim to Epcot. It was our last day in the parks, and there were some Blood Orange Margaritas awaiting us.

I had moved a dining reservation around, and we decided to try Biergarten. Typical German fare, pretty on par with Schmidt's Sausage Haus which is a favorite of ours. I really enjoyed the theme inside as well as the entertainment.

Sadly, from Germany we worked our way back to BCV to gather our luggage from bell services and load it into the car. We are headed to HGVC Parc Soleil for the next four nights.

Bye Bye Beach Club

OKW since 2016
Old 04-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #78
disneycrazy
Add-on Aficionado

Maybe you have already said, but who did you use for the scavenger hunt? I'd like to do some investigating.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:07 PM   #79
MamaB24
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazy View Post
Maybe you have already said, but who did you use for the scavenger hunt? I'd like to do some investigating.
Gifts of a Lifetime

Jane is the owner, and she was in the park the whole time monitoring us in case we missed something. Communication was excellent. If I need to come up with another special add-on for a kiddo, I'd look at doing this again.

OKW since 2016
Old 04-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #80
disneycrazy
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaB24 View Post
Gifts of a Lifetime

Jane is the owner, and she was in the park the whole time monitoring us in case we missed something. Communication was excellent. If I need to come up with another special add-on for a kiddo, I'd look at doing this again.
Thanks