home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #21
MamaB24
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
The smaller 3 wheel scooter with the extra battery folds up and lightens with the seat and battery removed. Best part is that you can leave the scooter in the vehicle and just carry the battery to the room for charging. The extra battery can travel on the platform behind your heels if needed but I find that a lunch break charge gives enough top off for the day especially since the parks open later/close earlier.
Thank you! This helps...I cannot remember which one we rented for my mom at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
The smaller scooters for rent are typically the Go-Go Elites and came in both 3 wheel and 4 wheel versions. The 3 wheel versions have a tighter turning radius but are a little more prone to tip if making sharp turns.

In some cases for the Go-Go Elite, the charging port for the battery is on the steering column so you can not just bring in the battery to charge in but need the whole scooter. In other cases, the charging port is on the battery so you just need the battery (and the charging brick of course ).
I will have to take a look and maybe call to see which one different vendors offer. Not that it is a huge deal to take the whole thing inside, but I'm all about ease here. And I will mind my corners lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I go thru the ECV debate with Robin several times a year, depending on where she is with her treatments. When she is nearing the end cycle of her treatments, I push hard for her to get wheels. I see how day-o-day stuff is wearing her down and know that 1 or 2 days in the parks will kill her. The point is, if you are wearing down now doing routine tasks, the parks are going to suck everything out of you fast.

I try to balance the use of wheels during the day, letting her walk some and ride some. You need to take care of you.
Thanks Tom. I remember you and Robin telling me about this when we met. I really don't mind the ECV, but I do lol. I had not honestly thought about how much I may wear down. In my mind it's just a HR issue, but the reality is I am as out of shape right now as if I have never run a day in my life. While I can put in my steps each day at work, they are controlled and not nearly the mileage we typically put in at the parks. Even slow, they are still more steps.

Quote:
An ECV is an automatic social distancing tool and you get to ride to and from the gates.
I love the diversity of Disney but I am past the age and health issues of trying to force myself to keep up with my DH in a scooter and suffer spinal pain and blisters during vacation (it's my vacation, too!). I am still working full time and DH has been on disability retirement for 20+ years; it is time to slow down.
We can always stroll around the resort or bus to Disney Springs for dinner once in a while if we need to stretch our legs.
I love the social distancing aspect. I know there is much argument of the restrictions, but I am living the truth right now. It stinks. I should have both my COVID antibodies and my first shot by travel day....maybe even my second as I have been waiting for clearance before getting in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreamingDisney View Post
Plus you’ll be wearing a mask which may cause you more HR issues. I know there are days that the walking is exhausting when you’re breathing your own air in 80+ humidity levels!

Also, if you get the DAS you won’t need to explain your issue at every ride but just the once at the beginning of the day!
The heat and the mask are both great points. This just tipped the scales. I'm sure, barring any major improvement (for which I still hope!), this will impact how I feel and how my body responds. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi from RI View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles always like your trip reports. Best of luck to you and agree take care of you- as a fellow nurses sometimes we are not the best patients and are hard on ourselves!
Truth spoken for sure. I tell my friends I know just enough to be dangerous. I'm sure I should have been in the ER much sooner than I was, but it put me in tears to think of it. I am grateful that this is all I am dealing with as we watch so many sad stories unfold in the hospital. However, it is also a warning to me and my family of how this impacts even the healthy in ways we do not yet understand. Our friend's son has been referred to a cardiologist at another hospital because of his issues. Our own large children's hospital could not help him. He is a high school multi-sport athlete who cannot pass a stress test right now.

OKW since 2016
"Tricky fish! Tricky fish!"
MamaB24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:20 AM   #22
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

I hope you continue to improve. It's never easy to deal with complicated health issues especially when they change all of life in a split second.
Eeyorelover22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #23
jflatto
Grand Villa

The Victory/Pride scooters are the typical larger scooter rented by companies while the GoGo Elites are the smaller scooters typically rented I prefer the GoGo Elite as it is smaller, lighter, and has a tighter turning radius than the Victory/Pride scooters. The GoGo Elites are also easier to park on the buses (about the only parallel parking I do). The Victory/Pride scooters are bigger, more comfortable, more stable, and have a longer battery range.

I am not sure of the brand rented inside the parks other than calling them "tanks" but they tend to be more expensive and rent by the day and can not be removed from the parks (e.g., Epcot).

I also carried some ponchos with me as well as the charger in the pocket behind the seat. I have some charging spots inside the park, favorite was the land in Epcot. I typically charged because I could, not because the scooter would die if I didn't charge it. The ponchos in case it rained.

As others have said, if the scooter makes the trip more enjoyable, get one. Don't worry about what others might think. It is not like you will know them or every see them again.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV; Christmas 2019 - RR and BLT

Last edited by jflatto; 02-23-2021 at 12:07 PM.
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:19 PM   #24
MamaB24
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyorelover22 View Post
I hope you continue to improve. It's never easy to deal with complicated health issues especially when they change all of life in a split second.
Thank you. It is my hope as well. Today is a bit rough. The silver lining is I went almost four days this time without feeling rough. I'll take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
The Victory/Pride scooters are the typical larger scooter rented by companies while the GoGo Elites are the smaller scooters typically rented I prefer the GoGo Elite as it is smaller, lighter, and has a tighter turning radius than the Victory/Pride scooters. The GoGo Elites are also easier to park on the buses (about the only parallel parking I do). The Victory/Pride scooters are bigger, more comfortable, more stable, and have a longer battery range.

I am not sure of the brand rented inside the parks other than calling them "tanks" but they tend to be more expensive and rent by the day and can not be removed from the parks (e.g., Epcot).

I also carried some ponchos with me as well as the charger in the pocket behind the seat. I have some charging spots inside the park, favorite was the land in Epcot. I typically charged because I could, not because the scooter would die if I didn't charge it. The ponchos in case it rained.

As others have said, if the scooter makes the trip more enjoyable, get one. Don't worry about what others might think. It is not like you will know them or every see them again.
I see many rental companies have the gogo elite. I will look for that one, and thank you for the tips. I think with proper planning it will make this more enjoyable.

OKW since 2016
Old 02-23-2021, 07:30 PM   #25
Wonderdog4
One Bedroom

We have had to get an ECV for my wife for the last couple of trips. She is ambulatory but excessive walking wipes her out due to a neurological problem. We rented a Pride Go-Go Sport from Gold Mobility, (shameless plug). It is fairly easy to transport. I moved it a number of times during our last trip. The heaviest piece is about 40 pounds. It will run all day on one battery. The cost is $150 for the week. It is some of the smartest money that I've spent at WDW.
Wonderdog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:37 AM   #26
MamaB24
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog4 View Post
We have had to get an ECV for my wife for the last couple of trips. She is ambulatory but excessive walking wipes her out due to a neurological problem. We rented a Pride Go-Go Sport from Gold Mobility, (shameless plug). It is fairly easy to transport. I moved it a number of times during our last trip. The heaviest piece is about 40 pounds. It will run all day on one battery. The cost is $150 for the week. It is some of the smartest money that I've spent at WDW.
Thank you. Did you rent a 3 or 4 wheeled? I'm looking at the three...

My next question is has anyone used one who is tall? I'm 6'1", and sitting in an uncomfortable chair (which most are, as they are not built for tall or long waisted individuals) does not sound fun either. I looked at pics, and I wonder if the seat will dig in my back and if my knees will fit. Any others' experience is greatly appreciated.

OKW since 2016
Old 02-24-2021, 01:23 AM   #27
MouseOfCards
Two Bedroom

Quote:
My DH has his own that we take on the plane and I rent one from Scooterbug who gives a 10% discount to DVC members.
Do you mind sharing which brand/model your DH owns and what you folks think of it? If you own one, is it better to bring your own or to rent one?
MouseOfCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:48 AM   #28
JanszLoveOswald
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I hope you are feeling better. If you do need an ECV.....

I do not recommend using the WDW scooters in the parks unless you only need it for one day. We have a family member that often needs a scooter. On a trip earlier this year, they just used the WDW scooters.

WDW has reduced the overall speed of these scooters and they are now toooo slooooow. We had one in Epcot and I swear it almost didn't make it up the hill from England into France (and it was fully charged). And it's impossible to keep up with your other family members if they are walking at a normal speed.

Rent one from any of the numberable rental companies that deliver to WDW.

Good Luck!
JanszLoveOswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #29
Wonderdog4
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaB24 View Post
Thank you. Did you rent a 3 or 4 wheeled? I'm looking at the three...

My next question is has anyone used one who is tall? I'm 6'1", and sitting in an uncomfortable chair (which most are, as they are not built for tall or long waisted individuals) does not sound fun either. I looked at pics, and I wonder if the seat will dig in my back and if my knees will fit. Any others' experience is greatly appreciated.
We rented the four wheel scooter. My wife was more concerned with stability than maneuverability although the four wheeler seemed to maneuver just fine. She felt that the seat was comfortable. Another advantage of having a partner who is using a scooter is that you can carry things like water, ponchos, etc. in the baskets.
Wonderdog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #30
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaB24 View Post

I often use Robin's ECV when she needs a break. I am about your height and have never had an issue with being uncomfortable. We always us the 3-wheel version, make for a better ride. I also ride her ECV when boarding the buses, Robin is not comfortable riding up/down the ramps and parking on the bus. Honestly, there is more room on the ECV that Robin rents then half the rides at WDW.

Last edited by tomandrobin; 02-24-2021 at 01:03 PM.
tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote