home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-21-2021, 09:14 AM   #21
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridge View Post
Wonder what DCL's approach will be given that their cruises are so family heavy and the vaccines have not been approved for the pediatric population yet.

They may elect for a testing strategy, but that has proven pretty flawed.
The could require vaccination for all eligible populations. Right now, those under 16 aren't eligible. However, I'm not sure that would be a safe strategy as children and teens can both get and carry COVID.

I've really come to the place that cruising (or any confined vacation grouping) simply can't happen until the pandemic is effectively over.

Smaller ships with more homogenous populations (such as Crystal, and primarily adults) can have more flexibility.

I would be willing to cruise with a vaccination policy in place, but it's still way too early in the vaccination process to be confident in that possibility.

Right now, I'm not even sure how the mega ships could even vaccinate their multi-national crews, most of whom don't qualify for the current level of vaccine offerings.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #22
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

Right now, I'm not even sure how the mega ships could even vaccinate their multi-national crews, most of whom don't qualify for the current level of vaccine offerings.

Dirk
Exactly!

In the FAQs, Crystal say that although their policy is that all crew members will be vaccinated, this might not actually be the case.
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:21 PM   #23
meeskamooska
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I'm assuming that,not too long from now, it will shift from mandatory testing to mandatory proof of vaccination. It is well-known that the tests are very inaccurate as a predictor of whether one is infected when getting on the plane and can spread the virus. There is increasing evidence, however, that this is the case with vaccination. And proof of vaccination is free.

Cheers.
I agree and hope this comes about sooner rather than later. The current guidelines do say that vaccinated people no should longer need to quarantine if exposed, Iím hoping with just a little more time and research, vaccination will replace the need for frequent testing.
meeskamooska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:47 AM   #24
broganmc
Grand Villa

Well this thread at least gives a snapshot on what people think about the risk of cruising.

I have a friend who works for Carnival as a specialty agent. One of the few who didn't get laid off in the pandemic. They've devised numerous strategies for getting back to cruising and start dates that had to be pushed back. I'm convinced "fear of COVID" is a bigger barrier to cruising than actual COVID, vaccinations or testing. Amazing since we never feared Norovirus, Ebola or H1N1 this much.

Brave hearts everyone. Vaccinations are coming along better than the news suggests. This thing will be over a lot sooner than you think.

Johns Hopkins did a really interesting online symposium on the subject last week. You may find the vaccine breakout session interesting. Here's the video: https://usprod22-webapp.spotme.com/4...2-a01c3aa337e8

As for me, personally I expect restrictions to be lifted within nations this year but international restrictions to take until next year.

Upcoming:

October 17-November 13, 2021
December 27-January 2, 2021-22

Not until Disney Execs recover their brain cells
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:16 PM   #25
jrm1504
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridge View Post
Wonder what DCL's approach will be given that their cruises are so family heavy and the vaccines have not been approved for the pediatric population yet.

They may elect for a testing strategy, but that has proven pretty flawed.
I think this is going to be a big deal/problem for all reopening, whether it be cruises, travel, concerts, football games, etc.

Pfizer, Moderna and JnJ are just now enrolling 12-18 year old kids for studies. After that, the plan is 5-12. If all goes well, that would should mean authorization for 5-18 y/o sometime Q4 of 2021.

Current population estimates put the number of people in the USA/Canada aged 5-19 at 66 million, 119 million in Europe. Soooo, how long is going to take for the children of the industrialized world to get vaccinated?
2007 DW All Star Sports
2011 DW Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 DW Dolphin
2013 DW BCV (our wedding)
2015 DW BLT (son's 1st b'day)
2015 VWL
2016 DL Grand Cal
2018 BLT and BWV

jrm1504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #26
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Given the very low risk for kids from this virus, how necessary is this? if the adults are all vaccinated (can't get it and iikely can't transmit) would it work even if younger kids might be vaccinated?

Asking this from pure curiosity of thought and as someone without kids.

Cheers.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:23 PM   #27
flypwm
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Given the very low risk for kids from this virus, how necessary is this? if the adults are all vaccinated (can't get it and iikely can't transmit) would it work even if younger kids might be vaccinated?

Asking this from pure curiosity of thought and as someone without kids.

Cheers.
I'm not an expert, but as much as I've been able to find says we just don't know that much about how this affects kids other than very few of them are dying from it. I'm not sure that we know whether kids are asymptomatic carriers, and if there are long term effects. I'd like to know this before signing myself/my kid up for a cruise, but we, like you, also have low interest in cruising anyhow.

FWIW, this is part of the core dispute with SFUSD reopening schools. The teachers aren't yet vaccinated, and some are concerned that even if so, they might bring it home to their family via classroom (kid) exposure.

I think a lot of this isn't going away until everyone is vaccinated, kids included, or we have more data to say kids don't need vaccination if the adult population go past a certain %.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:29 AM   #28
jrm1504
Two Bedroom

I'm not sure risk to children is an appropriate standard to use. Risk of being sued if a child does get sick on the other hand....

Decisions in the USA I fear will be guided more by attorneys weighing legal/financial risk than scientists weighing epidemiological risks.
2007 DW All Star Sports
2011 DW Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 DW Dolphin
2013 DW BCV (our wedding)
2015 DW BLT (son's 1st b'day)
2015 VWL
2016 DL Grand Cal
2018 BLT and BWV

jrm1504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:22 PM   #29
flypwm
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm1504 View Post
Decisions in the USA I fear will be guided more by attorneys weighing legal/financial risk than scientists weighing epidemiological risks.
Well, the US spent the first 9 months of this pandemic ignoring the science, so you're probably right.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:19 PM   #30
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm1504 View Post
I think this is going to be a big deal/problem for all reopening, whether it be cruises, travel, concerts, football games, etc.

Pfizer, Moderna and JnJ are just now enrolling 12-18 year old kids for studies. After that, the plan is 5-12. If all goes well, that would should mean authorization for 5-18 y/o sometime Q4 of 2021.

Current population estimates put the number of people in the USA/Canada aged 5-19 at 66 million, 119 million in Europe. Soooo, how long is going to take for the children of the industrialized world to get vaccinated?
Pfizer-BioNTech is no longer enrolling for 12-17 as they were fully enrolled a month ago. They expect data for adolescents about mid 2021 and approval after. It will be separate from the sub 12 group. More of an FYI. They were enrolling in September or October here. Done in stages I would hope year end if we need it. Teens likely by fall for school