home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-22-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Default Got me thinking

There was a recent post about a MO who was not eligible for the ticket promotion because not enough of the days were booked on Blue card points.

This just got me thinking...if you transfer in points to complete a reservation do you need to make sure they are blue card points or if you don't have a blue card and transfer in blue card points are you now eligible for blue card specials during that stay (ticket promotions ect)
Disney has implemented so many changes since I first purchased in 09 that I am not sure how they keep track of things.
But I am now curious how this affects transfer points in terms of eligibility for special events or do the points assume the new person's status?
But it seems transfer points have their own category, if so, could someone even purchase an AP from transferred Blue points?
Random thoughts, but the whole problem with amount of blue points for the ticket promotion got me thinking....
Old 02-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #2
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh bears mom View Post
There was a recent post about a MO who was not eligible for the ticket promotion because not enough of the days were booked on Blue card points.

This just got me thinking...if you transfer in points to complete a reservation do you need to make sure they are blue card points or if you don't have a blue card and transfer in blue card points are you now eligible for blue card specials during that stay (ticket promotions ect)
Disney has implemented so many changes since I first purchased in 09 that I am not sure how they keep track of things.
But I am now curious how this affects transfer points in terms of eligibility for special events or do the points assume the new person's status?
But it seems transfer points have their own category, if so, could someone even purchase an AP from transferred Blue points?
Random thoughts, but the whole problem with amount of blue points for the ticket promotion got me thinking....
This got me thinking.....this promotion is being advertised on TV right now for people staying on cash reservations. How can they restrict a DVC member staying on restricted resale points? Am I missing something?
Old 02-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #3
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

And on the member website all it states is that the member must be eligible, not that the stay must be completely on qualified points which has tended to only mean anything for where you can book. Perks have gone with the member. I still believe that some CM's are just confused an applying rules incorrectly.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:40 PM   #4
fuzzylogic
Two Bedroom

Quote:
The issue wasn't the points. The issue was he booked half a split stay on his member account and half on a non-member account. He could transfer from one to the other, which would work fine... However the non-member res had a hard-to-get room that didn't make sense to risk rebooking, so that wouldn't be a good risk for just an ok deal.

Quote:
If you transfer in points to complete a reservation do you need to make sure they are blue card points or if you don't have a blue card and transfer in blue card points are you now eligible for blue card specials during that stay
From what I gather, what matters is the account you book it on. If the account you transfer into is not a member account, then any stay booked on it will not qualify.
On the flip side, if the account you book it on is a member account, then anything you transfer into that account and book on that account would be fine.

Quote:
"Points" don't have a category. Your account does. It doesn't gain or lose status by transferring in points. If your account qualifies you to buy an AP, then it does. If it does not, you cannot transfer in points from someone's member account and have that change your AP qualification.

ETA... The latest updates do give points a new meaning, in that supposedly specific points do matter if trying to book the Riviera or other new resort with new resale points...
**If anyone has transferred in new resale original-13 points and tried to use those to book Riviera I'd be interested to know if those retain their limited use status after transfer!

Last edited by fuzzylogic; 02-22-2021 at 11:11 PM.
fuzzylogic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:10 AM   #5
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
The issue wasn't the points. The issue was he booked half a split stay on his member account and half on a non-member account. He could transfer from one to the other, which would work fine... However the non-member res had a hard-to-get room that didn't make sense to risk rebooking, so that wouldn't be a good risk for just an ok deal.

From what I gather, what matters is the account you book it on. If the account you transfer into is not a member account, then any stay booked on it will not qualify.
Except that isn't how it works. If you are a qualified member then you are a qualified member until such time as you sell the points that made you a qualified member. Period. Very poor implementation by DVC.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #6
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Except that isn't how it works. If you are a qualified member then you are a qualified member until such time as you sell the points that made you a qualified member. Period. Very poor implementation by DVC.
I agree but that qualified member/op did not qualify because their split stay was a 3 night stay and did not meet the 4 night stay required for the offer under their qualified membership. Had they booked 4 nights under the qualified membership they would have been eligible for the offer. So definitely a lot going on with that particular case.
DVCQUEEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:25 PM   #7
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

No, to activate the AP you would need to have a Blue Membership card. I do not believe that the type of points for the stay is tied to the ability to buy an AP.

Where I'm Going 2020:
Aulani - Sunday, December 20 - Friday, January 1, 2021
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:06 PM   #8
FessParker1
Grand Villa

It was not an annual pass but the 4 day get 2 free. I had an AK value studio booked for 2 nights on qualifying membership, 4 nights booked on non qualifying membership. All my points for the year were booked with both memberships. I keep looking and the days became available. I was able to drop part of my OKW reservation on qualifying points and book the AK value studio. I then went back and booked the OKW with AK points as both are just over the 7 month mark. It was a "pita" but it worked out. I was going to transfer the points if I needed to but it didn't come to that. Totally ridiculous that this situation even existed. Shame on you greedy mouse.