home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #11
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanylove View Post
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.
We have not decided where we're staying overnight.
I am hoping for close to airport since we get in so late for kids, but my husband seems to want to stay near the port.
I was also wondering whether it's an option to stay at near the airport hotel and go back to airport on the Cruise day to take Disney transportation.
Does anyone know whether it's an option?
Thank you.
You donít want to stay by Hobby airport. This is coming from a Houstonian. Iím sure itís fine, but you need to get out of the city during non-traffic times. You could stay in clear lake which is on the way to Galveston. Pick a hotel right on I-45. Our traffic can be really bad. Also, they have a bad habit of shutting down the interstate when thereís a bad wreck farther out from Houston. I used to work in Galveston county, and it can be a nightmare. Iíd recommend at least going as far as Clear Lake if you donít want to drive all the way to Galveston. There are a bunch of hotels and restaurants there for when you wake up.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:55 PM   #12
Spears2008
Studio

Also as a Houstonian, I would second TexasChick. The hobby airport area is not a good area of town. I would not want to stay in that area, a few miles south will be much nicer/safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
You donít want to stay by Hobby airport. This is coming from a Houstonian. Iím sure itís fine, but you need to get out of the city during non-traffic times. You could stay in clear lake which is on the way to Galveston. Pick a hotel right on I-45. Our traffic can be really bad. Also, they have a bad habit of shutting down the interstate when thereís a bad wreck farther out from Houston. I used to work in Galveston county, and it can be a nightmare. Iíd recommend at least going as far as Clear Lake if you donít want to drive all the way to Galveston. There are a bunch of hotels and restaurants there for when you wake up.
Spears2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #13
dvf_diva
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
last I checked, Uber didn't have the carseat option in Houston.
Boooo! Oh well.

Oct 2018 POP/BWV/BLT
Feb 2019 VGF
May 2019 VGF
June 2019 BLT
August 2019 Celebrity Eclipse
October 2019 Disney Magic DVC Member Cruise??
dvf_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #14
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spears2008 View Post
Also as a Houstonian, I would second TexasChick. The hobby airport area is not a good area of town. I would not want to stay in that area, a few miles south will be much nicer/safer.
you don't like the plethora of "dancing entertainment" options just off the airport grounds?
mustinjourney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #15
Aurora
Two Bedroom

Does Disney offer a shuttle? We are looking at next winter too and I wondered how we would get from the airport to the cruise port.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:42 PM   #16
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanylove View Post
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.
We have not decided where we're staying overnight.
I am hoping for close to airport since we get in so late for kids, but my husband seems to want to stay near the port.
I was also wondering whether it's an option to stay at near the airport hotel and go back to airport on the Cruise day to take Disney transportation.
Does anyone know whether it's an option?
Thank you.
I think it would depend on the timing of the transport down to Galveston. The area around Hobby may not be very nice, but if you just need a place to sleep for the night and then off to Galveston in the AM, then I'd stay at an airport hotel. If you're arriving after 11, then I imagine all you'll be doing is sleeping. If you have a lot more time the next day to relax or hang around, then somewhere in between could be good. There are more hotel and dining options south of the airport, but nothing really to see - like you would have if you went all the way to Galveston .Of course, then you're looking at needing transportation on two days rather than one (plus whatever seating is needed for the kids).