home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
ggatorgirl
Two Bedroom

Default Disney+ and Comcast

I am terribly confused. From what I have read, I cannot access Disney+ thru my cable provider, Comcast. Is that true?

Some articles I have read tell me that I must purchase a Roku device to get Disney+ on the TV, but I can access Disney+ on my smartphone, Ipad, or laptop. What about my desktop?

I have searched diligently and cannot find a definitive answer any where from Disney.

Anybody know for sure?

Thanks.
ggatorgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

I have Roku and dont see the app available yet. Has anyone else been able to down load the Disney+ app yet?
Old 11-02-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

It's my understanding that you can't get Disney+ through any cable or Satellite TV provider.

You should be able to get it on Roku, Apple TV, computer, Ipad, etc..several other devices. It's a streaming app.

I've looked for the app on my Roku, and it's not showing up yet. It may not show up until Nov 12, when the service begins in the US.
Nov 2017 BWV/BRV/AKV
Dec 2016, POR
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #4
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
It's my understanding that you can't get Disney+ through any cable or Satellite TV provider.

You should be able to get it on Roku, Apple TV, computer, Ipad, etc..several other devices. It's a streaming app.

I've looked for the app on my Roku, and it's not showing up yet. It may not show up until Nov 12, when the service begins in the US.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
ggatorgirl
Two Bedroom

Thanks. Looks like I will be buying a Roku something next week. Any suggestions on what to get?
ggatorgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Walmart has the basic roku on sale for $24. I ditched the cable boxes and added these to all our TVs instead of the $10 a month the cable company charges for renting a box. I have the premier for one of them to be able to use headphones. That one was about $50
Old 11-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

I have the roku stick. I think there are a couple of " sticks". Get the more expensive one.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #8
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Here are all the devices Disney+ will support at launch.

Apple (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV, and fully integrated with the Apple TV app; customers can subscribe to Disney+ via in-app purchase);
Google (Android phones, Android TV devices, Google Chromecast and Chromecast built-in devices);
Microsoft (Xbox One);
Sony / Sony Interactive Entertainment (PlayStation®4 and all Android based Sony TVs);
Roku (Roku® streaming players and Roku TV™ models)

Also Windows and Mac desktops and laptops via the internet browser.

Also remember that many recent tv's have this functionality built in, most notably Google and Roku. You don't need a separate streaming device if you have a smart tv running one of those platforms. You'll just be able to download the app on to your tv.

Another thing to consider- I have often heard that the most stable way of watching streaming content on a tv is to stream it to a comupter and then send it to the tv. Computers have much bigger processors and memory to be able to buffer and process the incoming data so you may get better picture and less disruptions. So if your tv has the ability to connect to your computer over wifi, you may want to give that a go before buying a different device. I will say that I have done this to watch the MK July 4th fireworks and it is indeed much better than going through an internet browser on the tv or streaming device.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #9
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
Here are all the devices Disney+ will support at launch.

Apple (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV, and fully integrated with the Apple TV app; customers can subscribe to Disney+ via in-app purchase);
Google (Android phones, Android TV devices, Google Chromecast and Chromecast built-in devices);
Microsoft (Xbox One);
Sony / Sony Interactive Entertainment (PlayStation®4 and all Android based Sony TVs);
Roku (Roku® streaming players and Roku TV™ models)

Also Windows and Mac desktops and laptops via the internet browser.

Also remember that many recent tv's have this functionality built in, most notably Google and Roku. You don't need a separate streaming device if you have a smart tv running one of those platforms. You'll just be able to download the app on to your tv.

Another thing to consider- I have often heard that the most stable way of watching streaming content on a tv is to stream it to a comupter and then send it to the tv. Computers have much bigger processors and memory to be able to buffer and process the incoming data so you may get better picture and less disruptions. So if your tv has the ability to connect to your computer over wifi, you may want to give that a go before buying a different device. I will say that I have done this to watch the MK July 4th fireworks and it is indeed much better than going through an internet browser on the tv or streaming device.
Watching it through AppleTV, Roku streaming device will do the same thing. Dont need a computer.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #10
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
Watching it through AppleTV, Roku streaming device will do the same thing. Dont need a computer.
Correct, they will do the same thing. The point was that they reportedly don't do it as well. I have both a 5th Gen Apple TV 4K and the expensive 4K Roku stick. Streaming quality using the AT&T TV (Formerly Directv Now) app far exceeds either of those on my laptop, to the point that I watch tv on my laptop at work rather than the tv. I'm not exactly sure why as it's the same content streaming over the same wireless internet signal. My guess is it's that the computer has a higher processing speed and is running through a browser that is dedicated to the OS rather than an app from a third party. So I have heard that streaming tv is better if you stream through a computer and send it to the tv via another device or direct video cable (like Airplay on an Apple TV). I haven't tried it yet, so I can't be sure if it's correct.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote