home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 10:44 PM   #101
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Oh, I agree. And I also wasn't referring to actual pain. I was referring to impact on the wallet which can have a "hurt" in the same way for some, not for others. It's a tradeoff. One can almost always get "more" for whatever they're doing, but there are costs associated with that.

I'd say that, with rare exception, none of us are ever filling the pocketbook as much as we could by doing something else, so that's definitely true. Without the context of costs, though, I'm not sure it's meaningful.

Cheers.
Very true although in this instance it's the going rate from several years ago and there are a lot of owners renting who are getting more than the poster expressed they were charging and happy with. It really wouldn't be anything more than changing the number they typed up in the ad and on the contract. I haven't scrolled back to look but I think it was identical to what they would get if they worked thru David's. Might just as well go that route and not have to type up the contract.

Or a different take on it - charging the prevailing rate would pay for a glass or two or three of wine.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #102
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post

Or a different take on it - charging the prevailing rate would pay for a glass or two or three of wine.
OK. Now you've got me!

(Although I'm drinking Cameron Hughes at this instant, so on the higher quality/lower price side of things).

Cheers.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:56 PM   #103
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
Sorry, wrong thread....
FYI, if you Edit your post you can simply delete it... (and I can then delete this

Cheers.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:24 AM   #104
broganmc
Grand Villa

Quote:
I meant to comment on your last trip report that I actually caught a glimpse of you as you whizzed past us going from the AK buses to the park! Can't recall that day - maybe the 31st? We were there a couple of days.
Probably January 2. I was racing over to DHS for a ride on Slinky Dog before hopping over to MK for my last goodbye. But you're not the first person who told me they saw me whiz past. Hope I didn't look like too much of a maniac. I do so love open pathways and rollercoasters.

Quote:
On the pricing - we have another family trip planned for April. I was looking at ticket prices just 2 nights ago and cringing a bit wondering at what point the family might decide it's too much.
I pay the annual ransom... sorry I mean Annual Pass fee every October. I justify it as a birthday present to myself. Now for the kids... I try not to think about it. After all, I do love them, don't I?

But yes, it is very hard for a lot of people to justify Disney ticket prices these days. Then again, I'll take a good economy and growing 401K over Recession and cheap tickets.

As for rental, I've purchased transferred points but only ever rented them to a family member. I'm not going to charge them top dollar because that's not why I bought the points to begin with. If I recoup enough to cover maintenance fees for the year, I'm content. I put myself in the place of the renter too much. I'm not sure I would ever pay $20 per point to rent. But then I wouldn't pay Disney's rack rate either. I just wouldn't stay onsite. Makes me glad I am a DVC owner and Marriott owner. I don't have to face that choice.

Upcoming:

March 29-April 3 (SSR), Oct 18-Nov 14 (BLT, SSR, Cypress Harbour, Family & Friends Birthday Blowout)

Completed: NYE Dec 29-Jan 3 (BLT) Me + 4 Gen Ys, Florida Sep 29- Nov 2 (B-day trip), Florida March 3-23 (Cypress Harbour 3-16, Bay Lake 17-23), Williamsburg with the family, June 21-28, 2019
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #105
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I meant to comment on your last trip report that I actually caught a glimpse of you as you whizzed past us going from the AK buses to the park! Can't recall that day - maybe the 31st? We were there a couple of days.

On the pricing - we have another family trip planned for April. I was looking at ticket prices just 2 nights ago and cringing a bit wondering at what point the family might decide it's too much.
I think single family trips will suffer faster than those doing APs at this time. I am shocked as how much 8 day PHs will cost my friend joining us. Our renewal APs are close to the same cost. My DH lost some vacation time with a buy out, so he's barely breaking even, but with 2 trips for my son and I it was fine to renew his really. We budget for it.

They will hit and probably have for some to decide elsewhere.

This thread was *ahem* interesting at times. I don't think someone is right or wrong to do as they wish with renting. I only rented to a friend of a friend a decade ago when vacation time was gone for my DH due to job switching. Also to my dad once. If I did it again my time is valuable so at this moment I would consider David's.

I have read a lot over the years about what to do as a renter and it seems far more complicated now than it was when I did it lol. Or it could be some are just more strict than I would be
Old 02-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #106
zafiro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by broganmc View Post
But yes, it is very hard for a lot of people to justify Disney ticket prices these days. Then again, I'll take a good economy and growing 401K over Recession and cheap tickets.

If I recoup enough to cover maintenance fees for the year, I'm content. I put myself in the place of the renter too much. I'm not sure I would ever pay $20 per point to rent. But then I wouldn't pay Disney's rack rate either. I just wouldn't stay onsite. Makes me glad I am a DVC owner and Marriott owner. I don't have to face that choice.
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote