home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #11
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
I hope that emoji drinking coffee used almond milk!!!
Not a chance. Had my coffee (with cream) with a side of eggs and sausage and thought of Leaf (Joaquin) as I enjoyed it. LOL.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): May 28- June 4 SSR/AKV & Jan 5-9, 2021 BWV
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam, Oct 31 Carnival Sunshine & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #12
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
I really enjoyed Parasite -- but I do wonder if it got a bump from the voters simply b/c it was a foreign film.

If we know anything, Academy voters love to pat themselves on the back and congratulate themselves for being progressive -- or at the very least -- they want to appear to be progressive.

Question I have: If EVERYTHING about the movie was exactly the same, but set in Silicone Valley, and had a bunch of white actors/actresses, would it have even been nominated for best picture?

Is its story stronger than say Saw? THAT movie was on another level and got nothing outside of horror awards.
I was just very happy to read a movie that I actually thought was good won. The last several years have given awards to movies that I do not think deserved them. I hope they didn’t just give this one because it was a foreign language film, since I really think that takes away from how good the movie was. It was an entertaining story on its own, foreign language or not. I hate when they praise that it’s so unique that it won because it’s a foreign language film. How about the fact that it was the best film of all the nominees?!? It was so refreshing to see an original story that was well acted versus something like OUATIH. That movie was hard to watch because it was soooo long and boring, and I actually like a lot of Tarantino films. This was not his best work and didn’t deserve the nom IMO.

ETA: My annoyance is directed at the media and Hollywood and no poster on MO.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #13
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
I really enjoyed Parasite -- but I do wonder if it got a bump from the voters simply b/c it was a foreign film.

If we know anything, Academy voters love to pat themselves on the back and congratulate themselves for being progressive -- or at the very least -- they want to appear to be progressive.

Question I have: If EVERYTHING about the movie was exactly the same, but set in Silicone Valley, and had a bunch of white actors/actresses, would it have even been nominated for best picture?

Is its story stronger than say Saw? THAT movie was on another level and got nothing outside of horror awards.
I think it was a relatively weak year for Oscar caliber movies. I haven't seen Parasite yet, but when the best foreign film to come around in a while is placed against a weak crop of domestic films, being the foreign film is going to get the edge.

I don't think it's Saw level of horror/gore. If anything, I'd equate to 2017's Get Out. That was highly acclaimed by the critics and Jordan Peele won for Best Screenplay. But there was a lot of refusal of Academy members to accept that a horror film was Oscar worthy (much like the superhero film, The Dark Knight) and refused to even watch it, even though it was nominated for Best Picture. So that makes me wonder, was Parasite that much better than Get Out? Was the competition worse this year than 2018? Did the small controversy from Get Out cause voters to overcompensate? Or was it really just a case of back patting to say they voted for a Foreign Film. Was it a combination of all that and more?

Oh, and not just 10 Elsa's, but 3 Elphaba's as well. In fact, one of them is often regarded as the best, and it's not Idina.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:51 PM   #14
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
I was just very happy to read a movie that I actually thought was good won. The last several years have given awards to movies that I do not think deserved them. I hope they didnít just give this one because it was a foreign language film, since I really think that takes away from how good the movie was. It was an entertaining story on its own, foreign language or not. I hate when they praise that itís so unique that it won because itís a foreign language film. How about the fact that it was the best film of all the nominees?!? It was so refreshing to see an original story that was well acted versus something like OUATIH. That movie was hard to watch because it was soooo long and boring, and I actually like a lot of Tarantino films. This was not his best work and didnít deserve the nom IMO.

ETA: My annoyance is directed at the media and Hollywood and no poster on MO.
I watched that movie about a month ago. Totally agree that it was way too long and slow at points. I actually started reading the synopsis on wiki and then fast forwarded parts of the movie until the end.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #15
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
I think it was a relatively weak year for Oscar caliber movies. I haven't seen Parasite yet, but when the best foreign film to come around in a while is placed against a weak crop of domestic films, being the foreign film is going to get the edge.

I don't think it's Saw level of horror/gore. If anything, I'd equate to 2017's Get Out. That was highly acclaimed by the critics and Jordan Peele won for Best Screenplay. But there was a lot of refusal of Academy members to accept that a horror film was Oscar worthy (much like the superhero film, The Dark Knight) and refused to even watch it, even though it was nominated for Best Picture. So that makes me wonder, was Parasite that much better than Get Out? Was the competition worse this year than 2018? Did the small controversy from Get Out cause voters to overcompensate? Or was it really just a case of back patting to say they voted for a Foreign Film. Was it a combination of all that and more?

Oh, and not just 10 Elsa's, but 3 Elphaba's as well. In fact, one of them is often regarded as the best, and it's not Idina.
Yeah- I was also thinking about get out as well. Iíve watched both. Thought both were really good. But havenít watched either a second time. Might need to watch them again to decide if there was an over-correction made.

Watched Joker last month and that performance haunted my dreams. Holy cow. Phoenix really got into that role. He apparently lost like 50 or 60 lbs in 3 months.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote