home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Bibbity Bobbity Buying
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #131
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks everyone! I'll keep posting updates throughout this process as long as others are interested. I may also write this up as a post on my blog then link that back here, as it is easier to embed both video & pics on my blog. I value your input/feedback - I may not respond to all the comments, but many of the comments here have caused us to back up & think differently. Really, sincerely - thank you to everyone who keeps taking the time out to offer thoughts.

After doing our walk through this weekend, we asked for two small things from the house inspection. Sellers immediately agreed verbally & sent the signed agreement back within the hour. The sellers also followed up with a message they would be happy to close earlier if we wanted. So maybe we should have asked for more????

Thinking back to the time at the resort this weekend, I really enjoyed the pool and clubhouse amenities. It feels almost like a combination of Beach Club & Saratoga. The pool area is top notch. The kids pool, slide, hot tub, lazy river along with volleyball area with stage for live performances and the kids play equipment...it is not at Storm Away Bay levels, but it is certainly as nice or better than the Hilton Palace at Disney Springs that I really like.

The clubhouse area includes a restaurant, which I thought was just okay after trying it for lunch. Not bad, but not incredible. There is also an ice cream shoppe (shades of beaches & cream!) and rather large arcade, complete with a nice indoor climbing play area for kids. The one thing we did not check out was the onsite spa. That is high on my list for the next visit!

The Saratoga Springs reference is to the size of the resort. There are about 600 units and they all look the same from the outside. One nice thing is that because these are townhomes, each unit has 3 dedicated parking spots right at the front door. And much like Saratoga has some nice relaxing areas tucked here & there, Regal Palms has a few spots by little ponds with shaded picnic areas with tables and grills.

In our unit, I will say there is considerably more cosmetic work than I anticipated. All rooms have small holes (think screws/nails, not fist in wall), scruffs/dings/splatter and need to be redone. So since we are going to be doing a complete ceiling to floor repaint, it will be a great opportunity to refresh colors. Also disappointing was the furniture. I'd hoped to be able to reuse some of the pieces. Yeah, that's not going to happen. Kitchen cabinets & drawers are bare, so in addition to the furniture we will need to kit the kitchen. The sellers have to know the shape of the unit. So I'm guessing that after advertising the unit as fully furnished, this might be why they were willing to take the deal at almost 10% less than listed price. Anyway, we have a firm budget for this so I'm guessing we will be shopping for some gently used items at consignment/facebook rather than all new furniture.

On the positive side, we asked to look at some other units for sale at the property to get a sense of how others were decorating. That did not work out, due to a combination of those units being rented and 2 of them selling last week.

We also have several projects slated over the next 5 years. These are improvements, mostly around our preferences. For example, there is a odd sized tub in the master bathroom. Over time, we may change that to a really nice, high end, tiled walk in shower. That leaves two other bathrooms with tubs, so we are thinking this would be a switch that improves our experience on vacation without hurting the home value.

So, lots to do!!

Amy's MouseOwner Trip Report List

Amy's Author Page - A Year of Disney, Camping Disney & Building Awesome Vacations

Amy's Blog
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #132
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

It's been a busy week for the townhouse. The underwriters gave approval on the loan, the appraisal came back at $161 against the sales price of $157 (yeah!) and I've been working hard on the design plan - at least pulling together concepts into one file. We still look really good to close as planned the first of March. Current thought is to try a mix of different themed rooms, mostly with soft goods than can be replaced fairly easily over time. Lots of pics in that design plan link. So far, DH and MiL have completely opposite opinions on this, so either that means it is about right on the mark or I am way off.

Samantha's spring break is the week of March 16. She and I will be in Orlando enjoying the townhouse, as I already bought the tickets for our flights. The plan was for Craig to go a couple of weeks early for closing + to start work on updating the place. But something has come up that may delay him, so this may be a private vacation home a little longer than I hoped. Ah well. I wish we were there now, drifting on the lazy river.

DH's input on design plan is to make it both less themed and more specific. (spousal advice is sometimes contradictory) What he meant was use the Hogwarts dragons for the dragon room. Then we could use the colors of 3 of the houses for those beds, maybe even carve or burn the house symbol into the bed, which he is now thinking of painting the same color as Hogwarts castle. So ditch the generic dragons & go for more general bedding in there.

Similar thinking for pirate room - don't attempt to use full walls as canvas like Legoland hotel does. Instead, use the same triple bunk w/ couch but look for red/white striped blankets & some pirate pillows. Then walls can be neutral. I also like that because it makes the room a better option for all ages while Lego pirates is less likely to appeal to teens. I think. Maybe. Not so sure because legos seem to still be our thing in our 40s.

Amy's MouseOwner Trip Report List

Amy's Author Page - A Year of Disney, Camping Disney & Building Awesome Vacations

Amy's Blog

Last edited by MinnieMomofOne; 02-09-2020 at 04:24 PM.
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:57 PM   #133
cali09
Two Bedroom

I love the design plan!

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:29 PM   #134
MouseOfCards
Two Bedroom

Thanks for sharing your journey with us (will have to come back and review this thread if we ever consider something like this). And congratulations!
MouseOfCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #135
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Very exciting!

Thank you for sharing and taking us along!!! Definitely a great reference thread.

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote