home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What was the worse misinformation you were ever given st wdw
The Christmas Party’s are not crowded 7 10.14%
Don’t worry about crowds 2 2.90%
Go during slow times 3 4.35%
Get the dining pan . You will save tons of money 25 36.23%
You can do a park a day , no problem 4 5.80%
Forget about adrs and fast passes . Just have fun 4 5.80%
Don’t get park hoppers 1 1.45%
Parking is easy 0 0%
No wait for buses . 6 8.70%
Portions are huge at WDW meals 1 1.45%
The cast member are always so nice and friendly 2 2.90%
Wdw is the cleanest place you will ever see 0 0%
Safest place in the word for kids 0 0%
Always magical 5 7.25%
Other. I am sure I have not covered most of them 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #41
inadaisyworld
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Our kids are currently 2 and 4. We've done 3 trips with our kids:
Trip 1: 4 mo old DS
Trip 2: DS2 and DD 4 mo.
Trip 3: DS4 and DD2.

Friends and family have told me not to go with them that young because they "won't remember anything so what's the point." We have had SO much fun and our 4 year old this past trip in December is still beaming over how magical everything was. It has brought us SO much joy going with them and seeing their faces light up. Also no park tickets or buffet charges for kiddos under 3 years old has made character meals and buffets much easier! (we love chef mickeys and buffets LOL).
Old 01-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #42
eandjmom
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadaisyworld View Post

Friends and family have told me not to go with them that young because they "won't remember anything so what's the point." We have had SO much fun and our 4 year old this past trip in December is still beaming over how magical everything was. It has brought us SO much joy going with them and seeing their faces light up. Also no park tickets or buffet charges for kiddos under 3 years old has made character meals and buffets much easier! (we love chef mickeys and buffets LOL).
Completely agree with you!! Our first trip DD was 5 and DS was 2 1/2. He still talks about memories from that trip. Also, with him being free, the trip was much less expensive!!
eandjmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #43
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:

I always tell Family and Friends to take the little ones for their free trip!
If nothing else the photos are awesome and they love to play in the pools.
Plus those preschool years fly by pretty quick and then they are on a schedule.
So I highly recommend a pre 3 trip to WDW.
I know a family that is going next month with their 2 year old Daughter and they booked Chef Mickeys only. No parks, but they will get to see the characters with her and take pics.
DVCQUEEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #44
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

I selected 'always magical' because we often hear that while WDW is expensive, and cost always on the rise, that it is cleanest, safest and best service with most fabulous entertainment in the vacay industry (thus magical)....that you basically get what you're paying for. I have to say it was true when we first started going (2003 as an adult) but not so true anymore.

As far as worse DVC lie...that is 2 fold...1 was that dues would only go up about 3-4% each year and 2 was that point totals for calendar had to come out same each year so if they raised points somewhere, they had to lower them somewhere else. Part 1 was my bad as it clearly states in the rules (whatever that book is called) that dues can go up as much as 15%. But part 2 was sworn and sworn and sworn by everyone to be against the rules.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
2019 DVC trip(s): May 20-22 SSR / Sept 27-Oct 5 BWV / Dec 19-21 CCV cabin & Dec 21-28 Vistana
Next cruise(s): June 22, 2020 CCL Sunshine/ Sept 4, 2021 NCL Pride of America
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #45
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:

I used to be one of those people. But then I had a kid and I also wanted to go to Disney World so I said, whatever, and went. You're exactly right about their joy of being there. I've never seen my son more excited than he was to meet the characters. I doubt he'll remember these early trips when he's older, but I will. Oh, and yes, when they're free it's even better.

That being said, traveling with little kids is no picnic so it's obviously not for everyone. And if it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip, then it probably makes sense to wait until they're older and can do more things. I'm glad to have been able to go when they're little, though.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #46
bakerworld
Grand Villa

I purposely waited to visit WDW until everyone could walk on their own and not have melt downs. Consequently, I've always felt a bit guilty because my oldest couldn't wait to go and she had to wait until she was 9 or 10 yo (can't remember which). By the time we went she was taller than I and we had to buy an autograph book for the characters to 'see' she was a kid because they kept ignoring her and going to the younger ones - which, once they did, they were wonderful with her. Conversely, I enjoyed no diapers or melt downs.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #47
Sephorin
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
I purposely waited to visit WDW until everyone could walk on their own and not have melt downs.
Double checking the topic of this thread.

'Kay. Of course, each parent and child is different. What works for me may not work for you. I took my daughter for her first trip when she was one year old. I took her again last week when she was almost two. We go again in December.

For me, this is the main reason I bought into DVC. I want to take her every year until she can't stand me anymore. It's been amazing (and challenging) so far. I look forward to many good years to come!

And as an aside: if I waited until my family members stop having melt downs, then I would never go with them to Disney World or on any vacation.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #48
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
I purposely waited to visit WDW until everyone could walk on their own and not have melt downs. Consequently, I've always felt a bit guilty because my oldest couldn't wait to go and she had to wait until she was 9 or 10 yo (can't remember which). By the time we went she was taller than I and we had to buy an autograph book for the characters to 'see' she was a kid because they kept ignoring her and going to the younger ones - which, once they did, they were wonderful with her. Conversely, I enjoyed no diapers or melt downs.
Kids stop having meltdowns?

Kidding... that is seriously horrible that she was ignored more simply because she was older.

We bought DVC while we were still DINKs, so we took ours early and often. I do tell people if doing it once to wait until the kids are a little older but try for the 5-7 range.