home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #21
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
Yes, there is. But going in with a group is another way to make it more affordable. Put it in a business name and each person (or couple) in the group uses a fraction of the points.
So a timeshare for a timeshare.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #22
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

I think the prices are outrages. Not sure how desirable it is anymore. I would rather purchase a vacation home than spend $$$$$ on a timeshare I will not own in 50 years. Riviera cannot be over 200, it is not tied to a park, yes it has the gondola, but it shares the gondola with the value resorts. Riveria should come in around 150 IMO given todays prices, but...what do I know???
Old 01-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #23
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

who do you know in your circle that has $86k to plunk down on a timeshare (for the example of 400 points) for the next 50 years, even without the mf's of $4k+ annually and all the other expenses of actually making a trip to wdw.

i don't know anyone who has this amount of money lying around other than very old retired folks with this in "life savings" or income-producing assets (and i am "upper" middle class). based on what i read, very few people have savings anywhere near this amount.

some folks may be willing to spend $10k for 50 "new" points, but what will that get them, not much. with a resale purchase, that $10k gets them 100 or "old" points for (still) a really long time.

i bought new once, in 1993, less than $10k got me 150 okw points and free tickets for everyone in room for about five years. it was a pretty sweet slurge then.

today...what is disney's expectation regarding who is the target market and how many points they'll buy at riviera?

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Shorty, and Chippy )
Old 01-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #24
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
in 15 years, $100 will be about $40 in today's money...would be a bargain to own resort with ten years left. good lord, 15 years is a llllloooooonnnnnnnggggg time to deal with dvc and mf's imo.
So our paperwork for the OKW extension has been lost. We're technically on the hook for the $25 per point to get 15 years. I have a feeling we're going to be willing to pay for it if we're still going to Disney as much then
Old 01-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #25
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
who do you know in your circle that has $86k to plunk down on a timeshare (for the example of 400 points) for the next 50 years, even without the mf's of $4k+ annually and all the other expenses of actually making a trip to wdw.

i don't know anyone who has this amount of money lying around other than very old retired folks with this in "life savings" or income-producing assets (and i am "upper" middle class). based on what i read, very few people have savings anywhere near this amount.

some folks may be willing to spend $10k for 50 "new" points, but what will that get them, not much. with a resale purchase, that $10k gets them 100 or "old" points for (still) a really long time.

i bought new once, in 1993, less than $10k got me 150 okw points and free tickets for everyone in room for about five years. it was a pretty sweet slurge then.

today...what is disney's expectation regarding who is the target market and how many points they'll buy at riviera?
People do take loans. Does it makes sense to take a loan, no. Do people take loans, yes - all the time for their DVC purchases.

You're at the end of your DVC lifecycle Barb. Others buying at new resorts are at the beginning of their DVC lifecycle, and their beginning will be at a higher price than when you bought in to DVC or when I bought in to DVC.

I agree with you it seems outrageous at $200+ per point. I thought I was crazy buying at $150pp at VGF. My add-on days are over (and your's are for sure), but I have every confidence DVC will continue to flourish.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

Old 01-16-2018, 05:57 PM   #26
GrumpyInPhilly
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I still believe that as the 2042 contracts begin their death spiral, that DVC will restrict the points at those resorts.
I own @ BCV. Would you be so kind as to explain what you mean by this statement?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #27
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

In my mind it continues to be a simple calculation on Disney's part - the more they are charging for rooms at Disney resorts, the more they can charge for DVC and have it look like a deal. Resale has always been a deal when compared to direct. But, as long as they can say that you will save xxx dollars by buying DVC (which they can, because resort prices have increased as well), people will buy. Add in a booming economy, Pandora opening, TSL coming, new rides at Epcot and MK on the way...and it is not a hard time for DVC to sell. I could sell our SSR points for a 20-25% profit over what we paid 10 years ago if I wanted - the demand is everywhere.

As for the lingering terminus of contracts, my bet is that they will offer extensions as they did for OKW, watch the resale market fall on those that don't purchase the extensions, snap those up through ROFR and sell them with the extension, to new buyers, at a 300-400% mark-up.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:15 PM   #28
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
People do take loans. Does it makes sense to take a loan, no. Do people take loans, yes - all the time for their DVC purchases.

You're at the end of your DVC lifecycle Barb. Others buying at new resorts are at the beginning of their DVC lifecycle, and their beginning will be at a higher price than when you bought in to DVC or when I bought in to DVC.

I agree with you it seems outrageous at $200+ per point. I thought I was crazy buying at $150pp at VGF. My add-on days are over (and your's are for sure), but I have every confidence DVC will continue to flourish.
i understand all this. still provides no insight into who is the target market and how many points they are expected to buy.

dvc began and flourished with the (mid to upper) middle class (slowing disappearing?). let's say $30k to buy 150 points today compared to $9k in 1993. who has $30k lying around to put in a timeshare...very few middle to upper class people. and who will take out a loan for $30k for 150 points...fewer still. we all know that large contracts are typically slow to sell because of the large upfront cost.

i'm a marketing person, always have been. i'd like to understand who is the target market now in terms of demographics, socioeconomic variables and on average and/or the mode number of points these folks are expected to buy at the riviera. will they pay cash, finance at 10% or such, or what. and what will those 150 points get them, maybe a studio a week for a year during relatively low season.

maybe disney will offer free tickets, free financing (i doubt either). waving a magic wand won't make this work for their previous (upper) middle class market. i see those folks as going resale, to marriott timeshares, to nice hotels, to the beach (with talk of "disney is a money grabbing ripoff that requires more planning than the moon landing"...i think many young adults could care less), etc.

When it comes to saving money, Americans could be doing better. According to a 2017 GoBankingRates survey, 57 percent of Americans have less than $1,000 in their savings accounts, and 39 percent have no savings at all.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Shorty, and Chippy )

Last edited by DVCERSINCEDAY1; 01-16-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #29
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
So our paperwork for the OKW extension has been lost. We're technically on the hook for the $25 per point to get 15 years. I have a feeling we're going to be willing to pay for it if we're still going to Disney as much then
I think there will be a lot of people in your position doing the same thing. My .02 on the "problem" with the OKW extension is that they offered it too soon, and in many cases to the wrong set of owners. The closer we get to 2042, the better that extension is going to look.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

Old 01-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #30
choosymom
Two Bedroom

Maybe they are reaching for the Stars, in order to prepare for the fall out. It will happen at some point. The economy always goes down. Get it while the getting is good.

Closed Thread