home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 05:12 PM   #151
Commish
Studio

Original post was a summary look at the consolidated results of a massive Company that is under pressure - when that happens, they will squeeze every bit of revenue, & operating margin they can - thus price increases at Parks and absurd pricing on DVC.

ESPN is hurting Disney and they need to compensate for the earnings drain (evidently people don't like Politics mixed in with their Sports - who would have thought?)
Old 01-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #152
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
What I was trying to point out is that WDW is not doing well and the +14% was misleading in having people think that all is well at Disney World.
i'm glad you made this clear for us. i don't keep up with all this stuff, but have to think that wdw is fairly stagnant for many reasons.

i know the rental market has been deteriorating with mostly requests for primo resorts for a few nights within seven months at $15/point or less...pitiful.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:18 PM   #153
fkj2
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
i'm glad you made this clear for us. i don't keep up with all this stuff, but have to think that wdw is fairly stagnant for many reasons.
That's so surprising. I was last there about a year ago and the parks were sometimes so crowded I sometimes left during the day. I didn't see how many more people could be jammed into the parks.

It used to be that mid-November was an ideal time to go. Low crowds, the opportunity to enjoy the Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving. I went a few years back and waited for over a half hour to get into the quick service restaurant behind the Castle in Liberty Square. Okay, granted it was after the parade, but still.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #154
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkj2 View Post
That's so surprising. I was last there about a year ago and the parks were sometimes so crowded I sometimes left during the day. I didn't see how many more people could be jammed into the parks.

It used to be that mid-November was an ideal time to go. Low crowds, the opportunity to enjoy the Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving. I went a few years back and waited for over a half hour to get into the quick service restaurant behind the Castle in Liberty Square. Okay, granted it was after the parade, but still.
stagnant growth is due in large part to guests squeezed in like sardines already most of the year.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #155
fkj2
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
stagnant growth is due in large part to guests squeezed in like sardines already most of the year.
I see. Hadn't considered it quite like that before.

Well, I have to admit those crowded conditions are a deterrent for me.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #156
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Suspended

Quote:
I see. Hadn't considered it quite like that before.

Well, I have to admit those crowded conditions are a deterrent for me.
one of the key things that has just ruined wdw for me. i used to love the first week in december for its low crowds and fresh christmas decorations.....now zillions of folks come this week (low season for dvc).
Old 01-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #157
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
2017 year end from Disney

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/wal...s-fiscal-2017/

The decrease in operating income at our domestic operations was driven by lower results at Walt Disney World Resort, partially offset by an increase at our cruise line, growth at Disneyland Resort and higher sales of vacation club units.

Lower results at Walt Disney World Resort were driven by higher costs and fewer occupied room nights, partially offset by growth in guest spending and attendance, although both were negatively impacted by Hurricane Irma. Higher costs were primarily due to increases in labor and employee benefits, depreciation and marketing. Guest spending growth was due to increased food and beverage spending and higher average daily hotel room rates. Available hotel room nights were lower due to refurbishments and conversions to vacation club units.
You are pulling this quote for just the fourth quarter, not the whole year. Irma was big factor for fourth quarter. For the whole year I think WDW killed it.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #158
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:

A lot of the crowding in my opinion is the result of two things: the new FastPass system that creates lines for attractions that never before had long lines, and Disney value engineering that reduces staff costs by only partially opening rides.

I think that the result makes it seem like more people are in the parks when this may not be the case.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:53 PM   #159
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

Quote:
nobody goes to WDW anymore, it's too crowded
Old 01-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #160
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

Quote:
i just checked the cumulative inflation rate from the bureau of labor statistics from 1992-2017...about 70%. seems to me that disneyworld and dvc has some 'splainin' to do.
so you don't think Disney has expanded/added value to its product since 1992 that would justify an increase in cost beyond inflation?