home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-12-2017, 10:52 AM   #21
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisephillips View Post
Don't get me wrong. I still love my home resort, especially being right on the golf course and just across for Disney Springs. At our last stay we just had a very worn studio. (Stains on the seating/bedding and carpeting, thick mold in caulking of bathrooms, thick mold growing in bathroom vent, heavily discolored/stained grout in the bathroom floor, discoloration/mildew on bottom of bathroom mirrors, stained ring in tub, badly peeling paint on studio door, leaking drinking fountain near the room.)

Other stays have been just fine. Would gladly stay there if I was able for our upcoming trip Christmas week. Was just upset to see them let one of our resort rooms fall into that much disrepair/wear. Mentioned the issues to the desk, hopefully they were addressed for the next owner/guest.

I am sure I will long for a DVC room at Christmas but I am just happy and grateful to be able to make it there for Christmas week.

Others have mentioned the same recently. Seems they need to up the soft refurb schedule. The issues you encountered are definately unacceptable at any resort. Mildew ew. Stains on the furniture seems to be a issue at many resorts, something they need to address on replacement or something more durable.
Enjoy Christmas week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
We stay in 1-bedrooms and they are still looking pretty good, or at least the units we stayed in.
Since studios usually are the most popular to be booked, they get more wear and tear. They should be on a different schedule than less used rooms.

Imho a schedule for soft and hard refurbs is great but in between they need to refresh the rooms that need it.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:52 AM   #22
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
I still love my home resort, especially being right on the golf course and just across for Disney Springs.
Ditto! SSR still ranks at the top for us.

Quote:
I am sure I will long for a DVC room at Christmas but I am just happy and grateful to be able to make it there for Christmas week.
We are not making it to WDW this Christmas and I am longing to be there period.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #23
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Even though it is our home resort, we've not stayed at SSR in about 7-8 years. We've stayed elsewhere as we continue to try to see different resorts. Just this summer we were saying that we need to get back and stay there again. Not sure when our next point stay will be (might be a few years), but now we will likely hold our return to SSR until after this. It will be good to see!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #24
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney54us View Post
Since studios usually are the most popular to be booked, they get more wear and tear. They should be on a different schedule than less used rooms.

Imho a schedule for soft and hard refurbs is great but in between they need to refresh the rooms that need it.
Here is the problem with studios.......

Its not because they are the cheapest to book and the most utilized unit choice, they are the most crowded room type. Families consistently have 4-5 people in those small rooms for their stays.

All DVC resorts run at 97%-100% usage all year long. So its not that studios are booked more, they are not......they book the fastest. The problem is the density of people, luggage and things that are destroying the studios faster then the larger room types.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #25
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Wouldn't it be something if they were really going to get into it and reconfig the maze of doors for the bathroom?

Not going to happen I'm sure but I still marvel at that layout.
We call them the "Magic Doors".
Old 12-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #26
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Will be interesting to see what they do.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #27
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Here is the problem with studios.......

Its not because they are the cheapest to book and the most utilized unit choice, they are the most crowded room type. Families consistently have 4-5 people in those small rooms for their stays.

All DVC resorts run at 97%-100% usage all year long. So its not that studios are booked more, they are not......they book the fastest. The problem is the density of people, luggage and things that are destroying the studios faster then the larger room types.
Yes more people and things in a smaller space will destroy them quicker. They should probably be on a different timeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubster View Post
We call them the "Magic Doors".
What is it about the doors? I stayed in a 2 bedroom and the layout was what is now the norm for other DVC resorts. Is this in the studio set up?
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #28
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland5 View Post
If you could change one thing within the SSR rooms during the refurb, what would it be?
i think I would change theming. IMHO, that seems to be what most don’t like about SSR. But, that said, most of the other refurbs have been more towards the generic side. So this refurb will be interesting to see.

Other than theming, I would change
-color of walls/carpeting to be a bit lighter. Living rooms are so dark and seem smaller because of it.
-that bathroom door configuration
-did I say theming?

We love the location and peacefulness of SSR....so I can’t wait to see what they do to hopefully make me like the rooms better..

ME DH DS20 DD17
disneymomof2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #29
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

I wonder if they will add the flip down TV to the 1BR unlike all other 1BR....and maybe to the studios as well. Could have 10 in a 2BR???? They could shorten the counter that has the sink and DW and move it over in the corner more so that it opens up more and then put in the flip down TV bed thing and it would be very different. I, personally, am not stoked about sleeping more and more people. But that seems to be the trend.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2018- Oct 5-6 at CCV before Oct 6-14 CCL Horizon cruise and Oct 14-15 at HHI then Dec 19-24 at BLT/BWV
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS and Jan 18-21 HHI
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #30
LOVINDVC
Grand Villa

We have two 2BR units reserved for this summer. Hoping to see the new mock-ups! Also hoping not to run into the icky room conditions some have posted here. It will have been two years since our last SSR stay...

SSR OWNERS SINCE 2004
LOVINDVC is offline   Reply With Quote