home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #391
Shauna1ee
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaTal View Post
Just to update , we heard on 5th August that we have passed ROFR on the BWV, really pleased about it , took about 26 days . Just waiting on the poly contract now !
Congrats! The family just bought direct but we are looking to buy resale in the future. Its nice to know how the process works. What resale site did you use?

Shauna
-------------
DVC OKW '16
Shauna1ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:39 PM   #392
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWNorm View Post
Passed ROFR today!!
great price! Congrats!
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #393
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryntje57 View Post
This is heartening. I've made a couple of offers that were higher than those being mentioned and the sellers rejected because I balked at paying MF on stripped contracts. Maybe I'm not looking at the right resales site.
The sellers balked at you paying the MFs on the points they used? Glad you are smarter than that. Keep looking you'll find the right contract. It just takes patience and persistence to find the right one.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #394
esiqu001

Anyone have a link to a spreadsheet on how to calculate the longterm value for the resort?

Or if someone can provide the example of why SSR is the best value?
esiqu001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:55 PM   #395
T1lersm0m
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by esiqu001 View Post
Anyone have a link to a spreadsheet on how to calculate the longterm value for the resort?

Or if someone can provide the example of why SSR is the best value?

It's considered a good value because it has nearly 40 years left on the contract, a lower buy in price and one of the lowest maintenance fees.

Beach Club Villas is a very popular resort because of it's proximity to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios, and also it's pool, Stormalong Bay. But it only has about 24 years left on the contract and is priced higher than Saratoga Springs.

If you know where you want to stay and can book more than 7 months in advance, then it may be best to buy where you want to stay. If you are limited to booking at 7 months or less, than buy where it's most economical, like SSR. If you think that Disney is magical and don't care where you stay (like me), buy where it's most economical.

FW Feb 2001
FW March 2004
AKL August 2004
DL July 2005
PC September 2006
All Star Sports September 2007
PC December 2009
POFQ January 2011 (cold year!)
Offsite March 2012
CS November 2012
Offsite November/December 2013
OKW December 2014
AKV November 2015
HHI December 2016 (one night only)
SSR December 2016
T1lersm0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #396
esiqu001

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1lersm0m View Post
It's considered a good value because it has nearly 40 years left on the contract, a lower buy in price and one of the lowest maintenance fees.

Beach Club Villas is a very popular resort because of it's proximity to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios, and also it's pool, Stormalong Bay. But it only has about 24 years left on the contract and is priced higher than Saratoga Springs.

If you know where you want to stay and can book more than 7 months in advance, then it may be best to buy where you want to stay. If you are limited to booking at 7 months or less, than buy where it's most economical, like SSR. If you think that Disney is magical and don't care where you stay (like me), buy where it's most economical.

Yea I was just wondering if someone did the math for it. I am not sure if this is worth it and I said this in another thread but i will say here to. We will probably stay at Aulani either every other year or 2 out of three years. However, when we book there it probably wont be 7 months in advance. We usually go during October or sometime during an off season. Most like the "adventure or choice" season as they would put it.

However when we do go to WDW and if we go for a special occassion say new years/Christmas/ fourth of july we would probably plan 11 months ahead and the resort we would like to do that is BLT. BLT fits our style with the contemporary look and watching the firework show from the room seems really cool.

However, this would be once in a blue moon or after we start a family, but kids probably won't happen for another 4-5 years and given they need to age to enjoy WDW probably 8-9 years.

So the dilemma is maybe get SSR for now since most of our trips will be planned 7 months or less or get BLT now and not worry about it if we want to plan an 11 month trip.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #397
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

Buy where you want to stay and you won't regret it. It may not matter 9 months out of the year, but if the difference is a few grand in up front costs and a hundred or two a year in maint fees you may regret it if you can't swing that hard to get reservation for a special trip. This assumes you can afford the extra money.

Me? I'd rather give up a few things and get the contract I want rather than buy just to get points. I didn't have to buy at Aulani, but I knew our trips would be weeks 2-3 of June and spring break and Aulani can be a bear to book during peak periods (trust me I know). I wasn't going to buy unsubsidized, but I knew I wanted to own there.

My personal opinion of BLT (I'm there now): Gorgeous, wonderfully placed, but very much has a "hotel room" feel (albeit a fancy one). I head to my home resort tomorrow (VWL) and while I'll be a boat ride rather than a walk away from MK, I'm excited to get back to the lodge as it has a lot more "character", so to speak.

Remember per point resale price are a drop in the bucket if you plan to hold your points. When you start comparing number of years left in the contract the prices from one contract to the next are closer than you think. In my opinion it comes down to preferred resort and if you can afford the maintenance fees.

Now depending on your age the number of years left may not matter. I'm 41, so a 2042 resort like VWL is just fine with me. I also own Aulani (yeah subsidized!), which would end when I'm 88, but I had no option there.

BLT is very popular because of where it sits. If you love it, and can afford it, you'll regret not getting that tough to get holiday booking. Unless of course those bookings are few and far between in which case renting points for those trips *may* be the way to go (if money is a concern).

Quote:
Originally Posted by esiqu001 View Post
Yea I was just wondering if someone did the math for it. I am not sure if this is worth it and I said this in another thread but i will say here to. We will probably stay at Aulani either every other year or 2 out of three years. However, when we book there it probably wont be 7 months in advance. We usually go during October or sometime during an off season. Most like the "adventure or choice" season as they would put it.

However when we do go to WDW and if we go for a special occassion say new years/Christmas/ fourth of july we would probably plan 11 months ahead and the resort we would like to do that is BLT. BLT fits our style with the contemporary look and watching the firework show from the room seems really cool.

However, this would be once in a blue moon or after we start a family, but kids probably won't happen for another 4-5 years and given they need to age to enjoy WDW probably 8-9 years.

So the dilemma is maybe get SSR for now since most of our trips will be planned 7 months or less or get BLT now and not worry about it if we want to plan an 11 month trip.

My DVC homes: BLT, BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #398
WalleandEve

As for Saratoga Springs. If you are not worried about which resort you stay in, and if you are not going at premium times and really want to stay at a particular resort, the SS not only now has the lowest dues, but the rate of dues increase over the years has been far lower than any other resort. I believe this is due to the sheer number of units there, and that there are not amenities (Animal Kingdom, Boardwalk & such) that need to be paid for. The bulk of our points are SS, but we often go in the off-season, and we don't mind staying at AK or such. Then again, my wife also bought 100 Bay Lake points this year!
WalleandEve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #399
T1lersm0m
Grand Villa

Based on your situation, I'd say buy SSR today and buy BLT later when you start having kids and they are getting older.

If you want to start staying at BLT soon, then buy BLT now, but it sounds like you don't plan to start staying there until after you have kids and they get older you can get more points.

Just my two cents At the end of the day you need to do what is best for your family.

Funny story, I've owned SSR since 2014. This is our first trip staying there and I kind of feel bad I booked the trip somewhat last minute (only about 3 months out) so SSR was the only availability and I felt like I was going to let my family down staying there. But then I realized its still a deluxe resort and we are going to Disney World! So even though we HAVE to stay at SSR, its still going to be a great trip

I guess I've become somewhat a Disney snob. SO if you consider yourself a snob, or a Disney snob, then I highly recommend buying where you want to stay.

Again, if I was in your shoes, I'd buy SSR now and BLT later. That's just me.

FW Feb 2001
FW March 2004
AKL August 2004
DL July 2005
PC September 2006
All Star Sports September 2007
PC December 2009
POFQ January 2011 (cold year!)
Offsite March 2012
CS November 2012
Offsite November/December 2013
OKW December 2014
AKV November 2015
HHI December 2016 (one night only)
SSR December 2016
T1lersm0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #400
esiqu001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonv1 View Post
Buy where you want to stay and you won't regret it. It may not matter 9 months out of the year, but if the difference is a few grand in up front costs and a hundred or two a year in maint fees you may regret it if you can't swing that hard to get reservation for a special trip. This assumes you can afford the extra money.

Me? I'd rather give up a few things and get the contract I want rather than buy just to get points. I didn't have to buy at Aulani, but I knew our trips would be weeks 2-3 of June and spring break and Aulani can be a bear to book during peak periods (trust me I know). I wasn't going to buy unsubsidized, but I knew I wanted to own there.

My personal opinion of BLT (I'm there now): Gorgeous, wonderfully placed, but very much has a "hotel room" feel (albeit a fancy one). I head to my home resort tomorrow (VWL) and while I'll be a boat ride rather than a walk away from MK, I'm excited to get back to the lodge as it has a lot more "character", so to speak.

Remember per point resale price are a drop in the bucket if you plan to hold your points. When you start comparing number of years left in the contract the prices from one contract to the next are closer than you think. In my opinion it comes down to preferred resort and if you can afford the maintenance fees.

Now depending on your age the number of years left may not matter. I'm 41, so a 2042 resort like VWL is just fine with me. I also own Aulani (yeah subsidized!), which would end when I'm 88, but I had no option there.

BLT is very popular because of where it sits. If you love it, and can afford it, you'll regret not getting that tough to get holiday booking. Unless of course those bookings are few and far between in which case renting points for those trips *may* be the way to go (if money is a concern).
Do you mind sharing the info of your AUL(sub) contract? I asked my partner and she definitely wants BLT or AUL. However AUL(sub) is what I would be looking for.

The funny thing is - We were literally a day away from signing retail 150 points for around $28k. I am not sure why I am min/maxing on a few thousand dollars when I am already saving 6k-10k. I guess I get the same way when i buy other things just liking to do research and making the best choice.

and thanks!!