home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #391
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseOfCards View Post
Are closing costs much higher only for CCV? If so, what is the reason for this?
The estimates given by Disney for Poly are also higher than what I've heard people report or buying direct in the past. They aren't too far off from what the various brokers list in their estimates either.
rowrbazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:00 PM   #392
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
The estimates given by Disney for Poly are also higher than what I've heard people report or buying direct in the past. They aren't too far off from what the various brokers list in their estimates either.
So it's like Disney is taking a title agent fee now - nice.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #393
flypwm
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicriseg View Post
Thanks! Got the call that my purchase went through a bit earlier and I just finished the web setup.

I won't lie, if I see a 50 pointer appear tomorrow in all of the resale alerts I have set up, I'm going to have just a little bit of buyers remorse on the direct part. However, the fact that we have an existing BC booking (at the hotel) in December really helped me offset the premium mentally. Over those same dates on that booking alone, I'll save 1.5x the direct premium I paid on those points.

But otherwise, I think it was worth it to get what we really wanted. One thing that really surprised me was how easy it was - at no point did anyone try to talk me into a different actively sold resort or enforce any kind of minimum buy-in. And those Chase UR points I just earned will cover a piece of the airfare.
I'm going to reply to my own post and just say that my buyers remorse over going direct is gone. It was nagging me that I kept seeing AKL 100 point resale listings for roughly what I paid for 50 direct at BCV. We like AKL - and our daughter's favorite park is AK, but we really like BCV and its proximity to Epcot, HS and the Boardwalk, and is nearly always where we choose to stay. Being walking distance to two parks improves what we find to be the most stressful part of Disney, the crowded busses. We paid a little more to get exactly what we want by going direct, but I'm happy with it today.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #394
DVCjj
Two Bedroom

Quote:
I'm going to reply to my own post and just say that my buyers remorse over going direct is gone. It was nagging me that I kept seeing AKL 100 point resale listings for roughly what I paid for 50 direct at BCV. We like AKL - and our daughter's favorite park is AK, but we really like BCV and its proximity to Epcot, HS and the Boardwalk, and is nearly always where we choose to stay. Being walking distance to two parks improves what we find to be the most stressful part of Disney, the crowded busses. We paid a little more to get exactly what we want by going direct, but I'm happy with it today.
Don't even think about it anymore. You made a great decision for you and your family. The next time you literally roll out of bed and you're at the International Gateway, you'll be thankful it's all done and over with instead of constantly trying to find exactly what you want at exactly the same UY and exactly the price you want to pay...and tapping your foot waiting for acceptance and ROFL.

My first purchase was 'membership benefits' BCV resale (didn't know anything about UY's) but second purchase was Poly Direct. If there's an older resort next purchase of most likely BLT or BWV, it will be Direct for sure. And I'm not beating myself up on it. (and I'm usually a Buyer's Remorse Queen).
DVCjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #395
flypwm
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCjj View Post
Don't even think about it anymore. You made a great decision for you and your family. The next time you literally roll out of bed and you're at the International Gateway, you'll be thankful it's all done and over with instead of constantly trying to find exactly what you want at exactly the same UY and exactly the price you want to pay...and tapping your foot waiting for acceptance and ROFL.

My first purchase was 'membership benefits' BCV resale (didn't know anything about UY's) but second purchase was Poly Direct. If there's an older resort next purchase of most likely BLT or BWV, it will be Direct for sure. And I'm not beating myself up on it. (and I'm usually a Buyer's Remorse Queen).
Thanks. That describes what I'm thinking exactly!

Actually, I just had an awful thought. If we mostly stick to school vacation weeks, I'm going to need more points!

Starting small at least was definitely the right move. I want to be able to go every other year or every 3rd year during a vacation week, and we can do that with banking and borrowing. I forgot that I actually amended my purchase to 55 points since 110 every 2 years got us the options we wanted for timing.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #396
DVCjj
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Thanks. That describes what I'm thinking exactly!

Actually, I just had an awful thought. If we mostly stick to school vacation weeks, I'm going to need more points!

Starting small at least was definitely the right move. I want to be able to go every other year or every 3rd year during a vacation week, and we can do that with banking and borrowing. I forgot that I actually amended my purchase to 55 points since 110 every 2 years got us the options we wanted for timing.
Oh silly you...to think you wouldn't catch our Addonitis disease....
You NEVER have enough points.

Transferring in points is a wonderful way to not add to Maintenance Fees.
I'm very grateful for that service.
DVCjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #397
flypwm
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCjj View Post
Oh silly you...to think you wouldn't catch our Addonitis disease....
You NEVER have enough points.

Transferring in points is a wonderful way to not add to Maintenance Fees.
I'm very grateful for that service.
I was only in denial. I knew I'd get addon-itis, I just didn't want to admit it

I hadn't explored transfers, but that's a good point. For those years that we need extra points, that's a good route.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:53 AM   #398
Maddismom
One Bedroom

Addonitis virus spread to me and I went shopping and made an offer. Now how long does it take to hear whether the offer is accepted or declined or do they counter??? I tried to research this here and on the resale sites but only see the details on timing and process for ROFR but not acceptance...
Can you tell I'm a little anxious???
Maddismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #399
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

I've seen owners be a little slow in responding just to see if any better offers come in. In my case it was between 12 and 24 hours, which isn't too bad.

Remember until you have signed anything you are free to move on without penalty. Unless you found a contract you *really* like never hesitate to bid on something else. My last contract was for a decent price and the use year I wanted so I was willing to suffer the additional wait time caused by having an foreign seller (which to be honest wasn't that much longer, maybe an additional week total).

Right now is "seller" season since it is between MF payments and it being summer and all (not to mention Pandora just opened). I bought all my contracts in late fall/early winter when people (sometimes) seem a little more eager to sell, so your experience may vary slightly from mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddismom View Post
Addonitis virus spread to me and I went shopping and made an offer. Now how long does it take to hear whether the offer is accepted or declined or do they counter??? I tried to research this here and on the resale sites but only see the details on timing and process for ROFR but not acceptance...
Can you tell I'm a little anxious???

My DVC homes: BLT, BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:39 PM   #400
VLOrsa
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default New DVC owner

Hi all. Just purchased two small contracts, 50 pts. each, BCV and BWV, direct from DVC. I appreciated that these contracts had end dates of 2042, which some people may not agree with, but I did not want to be financially 'tied into' DVC forever since I am nearing 50 and if you do a spreadsheet with today's buy-in cost, and MFs compounded with increases, the 50 year contracts (on new home resorts) run over $125K once you have completed the deed!

I appreciate that both BCV and BWV are near Epcot. Our kids are teens so we are not tied to MK and Epcot is my personal favorite (it is all about the food!) 100 points in total is not a lot, but I would like to get my feet wet and see how it goes from there. Bought direct because it was easier to get smaller contracts, fully loaded. Also, we plan on traveling in the future with the direct DVC perks (Concierge, etc.) since my family already travels out of the US annually.

First trip is already booked for April 2018 (a high point cost but kids have off), and I split the stay (2 nights each) between the 2 home resorts. 2 nights in a studio at BCV and 2 nights in a 1 bedroom at BWV. This way we can get a real feeling of what the difference is between the two room offerings and the kids can use the BCV pool, which I hear is great.

Appreciate all the info on this site.
VLOrsa is offline   Reply With Quote