home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #381
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul30 View Post
Is it the same whenever one owner purchases a one-time transfer of points from another owner? Are the booking windows tied to the contract from which the points originated? Sorry, definitely a noob here!
Correct. Points never lose their home resort tie, even when transferred, so if you're looking at booking a particular place during the 11 months window it needs to be the resort you're looking to book. Only at 7 months is a point a point and can be used anywhere.

And that's also why some people will decide being a qualified member isn't worth the additional cost of direct if that cost is going to be at a high premium.

BTW - your already a member for the best reason - discounted deluxe rooms onsite. DVC can't take that away. I can understand the pull but I think there also has to be a reasonable expectation to take advantage of the benefits that resale currently doesn't have.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #382
Eagle-co94
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

If you're wanting to buy direct I'd say go for Copper Creek. They'll definitely have what you want and how cool would it be to get in on the latest resort the first week they have been for sale?

I bought my first contract direct at the Polynesian at 50 points as I live in FL and have already been to one DVC party with more planned. I like relaxing in the EPCOT lounge on a long (or even short) day in the parks.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #383
taccol
Two Bedroom

Awesome Post!!! Thank you for taking the time to create this. We feel absolutely blessed to have found Shontell during our initial inquiry into DVC ownership. RESALE IS THE BEST!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 11:48 PM   #384
lespaul30
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Correct. Points never lose their home resort tie, even when transferred, so if you're looking at booking a particular place during the 11 months window it needs to be the resort you're looking to book. Only at 7 months is a point a point and can be used anywhere.

And that's also why some people will decide being a qualified member isn't worth the additional cost of direct if that cost is going to be at a high premium.

BTW - your already a member for the best reason - discounted deluxe rooms onsite. DVC can't take that away. I can understand the pull but I think there also has to be a reasonable expectation to take advantage of the benefits that resale currently doesn't have.
Thanks for all the great insight! There are a lot of variables to consider which makes this forum invaluable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-co94 View Post
If you're wanting to buy direct I'd say go for Copper Creek. They'll definitely have what you want and how cool would it be to get in on the latest resort the first week they have been for sale?

I bought my first contract direct at the Polynesian at 50 points as I live in FL and have already been to one DVC party with more planned. I like relaxing in the EPCOT lounge on a long (or even short) day in the parks.
CCV is definitely enticing but I just can't get pass those MFs!
lespaul30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:14 AM   #385
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul30 View Post
Thanks for all the great insight! There are a lot of variables to consider which makes this forum invaluable.

CCV is definitely enticing but I just can't get pass those MFs!
As you recognize there's lots of variables to consider. Another is the number of points required to stay at a resort and PVB is high. CCV matches up with BRV which is a lower point requirement so the dues are not spread out over as many points as at PVB. What does that mean? That the MF's to stay in a room are actually less in total than PVB because it takes fewer points for the same length of stay. Here's a post from earlier today show some of the differences at a handful of the DVC resorts.

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=27
Old 03-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #386
flypwm
Two Bedroom

tl;dr Put in a request today for 50 BCV for an initial buy in. Proceeding to justify my impatience with resale availability

Well, today I sucked it up and put in a direct request for 50 points at BCV for an initial buy-in. I think it came down to the financials still working out in our favor, just with a little less margin, with the positive end being that we got the use year we wanted and in time for a currently planned trip at BC that we would otherwise pay for in cash.

It came down to either I could wait indefinitely for something that fit some narrow parameters and then add on 25 points direct, or go with 50 direct now and still keep waiting for that other 50 on the resale market. The difference boiled down to the price difference of direct vs resale on the 25 points that I would not have purchased direct, which is probably in the $1100 range. I was going to buy some amount direct regardless since the discounts are appealing to me - the gold AP for sure on years where we do two short stays (like 2016 where we did Feb and Dec) and we also hit dining pretty hard, most of our favorites being DVC discounted now.

Given that I can immediately borrow next year's points to book and cancel the $2300 reservation we have over the same time period later this year, that seemed acceptable to me even if I'm not maximizing the IRR (which is a factor in my decision to buy DVC). There's a chance that it works out that it covers the entire premium, but it's hard to measure as it involves the hypothetical closing on a resold 50 point BCV contract, too many variables there.

Couple more factors that I'm not exactly putting into the financials, but Disney's closing costs are low - under $150 in my case. And you can pay for the whole thing on a credit card, which for me was an effective rebate of 2.25% (1.5 points per dollar at points that I value at 1.5 cents each, but if you prefer cash, there are 2% CB options out there). For the other points and miles junkies out there, to the best of my knowledge, the MCC is not coded as travel or entertainment like a regular purchase at WDW would be - so no category bonuses to hit that I know of.

I should hear back today whether we're all set. I got a good guide assigned right off the bat, at least I'm fairly impressed. No issue doing a <100 point initial buy, and they did have the points. It's first come first serve, so we'll find out if someone got in ahead of us.

Just throwing this out there for two reasons: 1. You can all give me a hard time about buying direct I guess I do assign some value to certainty; and 2. You can indeed buy in initially at a resort not being actively sold and with less than 50 points.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #387
MouseOfCards
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicriseg View Post
Couple more factors that I'm not exactly putting into the financials, but Disney's closing costs are low - under $150 in my case. And you can pay for the whole thing on a credit card, which for me was an effective rebate of 2.25% (1.5 points per dollar at points that I value at 1.5 cents each, but if you prefer cash, there are 2% CB options out there). For the other points and miles junkies out there, to the best of my knowledge, the MCC is not coded as travel or entertainment like a regular purchase at WDW would be - so no category bonuses to hit that I know of.
Are closing costs much higher only for CCV? If so, what is the reason for this?
MouseOfCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #388
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicriseg View Post
Well, today I sucked it up and put in a direct request for 50 points at BCV for an initial buy-in.

Just throwing this out there for two reasons: 1. You can all give me a hard time about buying direct I guess I do assign some value to certainty; and 2. You can indeed buy in initially at a resort not being actively sold and with less than 50 points.
congrats!!!

You are following my #1 rule of timeshares, buy where you want to stay.

#2 rule is buy resale, where possible.....in your case, there really isn't much of a 50pt BCV resale market. And the price difference over the life of your membership is not that much.

And the credit card to maximize your purchase is icing on the cake!
Old 03-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #389
flypwm
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseOfCards View Post
Are closing costs much higher only for CCV? If so, what is the reason for this?
Good question, but keep in mind that I only bought 50 points, and they're being resold even if I'm buying direct. With CCV, Disney might be passing on some of the costs related to all of the master condo recording? I don't know, just a very wild guess. The closing costs I just paid are probably a straight passthrough of the documentation and recording fees since they really aren't incurring anything else.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:25 PM   #390
flypwm
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
congrats!!!

You are following my #1 rule of timeshares, buy where you want to stay.

#2 rule is buy resale, where possible.....in your case, there really isn't much of a 50pt BCV resale market. And the price difference over the life of your membership is not that much.

And the credit card to maximize your purchase is icing on the cake!
Thanks! Got the call that my purchase went through a bit earlier and I just finished the web setup.

I won't lie, if I see a 50 pointer appear tomorrow in all of the resale alerts I have set up, I'm going to have just a little bit of buyers remorse on the direct part. However, the fact that we have an existing BC booking (at the hotel) in December really helped me offset the premium mentally. Over those same dates on that booking alone, I'll save 1.5x the direct premium I paid on those points.

But otherwise, I think it was worth it to get what we really wanted. One thing that really surprised me was how easy it was - at no point did anyone try to talk me into a different actively sold resort or enforce any kind of minimum buy-in. And those Chase UR points I just earned will cover a piece of the airfare.