home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #71
flypwm
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudieHopps View Post
This will be the first time in a while we have not booked for first week of December. Home Resort BC or AK (Planning Aukani for December @7 months)
We have never had trouble booking home resort at 11.
But maybe this is it?
I booked a BCV studio for the first week of December (1-8). For some reason, it occurred to me to do it on Jan 1, but I didn't get to it until about noon EST. I recall last year that this time, there might have been some availability closer to the 7 month mark! I could be misremembering though.

We usually go the 2nd week of December, but this year I booked the 1st to get an extra trip on the APs we bought - 2nd week Dec 2017. We're not normally AP buyers, but did because of the promo. I wonder if a bunch of people are squeezing in an extra trip on their APs that normally wouldn't?

It's not like DVC can oversell points or anything. The crunch here means availability some other time of year, and if it continues they'll rebalance the point chart and make Dec 1-15 more expensive, right?
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:41 AM   #72
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
It did happen at 7 months, which surprised me. I booked my Thanksgiving week dates at 9 months without a problem, but I could see dates were already getting tight. At 7 months, preferred was booked. At 6 months 2 weeks, standard was booked. We had friends who bought into PVB at 7 months (also fully booked!) and were going to stay with us at SSR. They didn't commit until 6+ months and had to waitlist. It came through, but not for a few months.

Dirk
MS told me that SSR availability is tighter now than OKW because of the split categories.
Close to HH at OKW was only a small number of villas but SSR split was almost 40-50% of villas. I noticed it at 7 months as well. The 2 bedroom villas were gone 12/25-1 and I had to book member cash.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #73
bostonRob
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
I don't think you should ever expect to have a reservation at a traditionally busy time (for DVC bookings) be "easy peasy lemon squeezy" In this case you were competing for 1 of 30 rooms out of a potential pool of 20,000 people that could want the same room.

In the end, I'm glad that it all worked out, and you have your reservation. Enjoy your trip.
Im not sure I can agree with you on this one. As you Ive been here a few years and dont forget these points are big money. They were then and they are now. There should be some reasonable expectation that others are playing by the rules and if they were, I would bet everyone who was looking to book at 11 mos out would get what they want on the first try.

as you said, im happy, I got what I wanted this time but the last two years I did not. I do plan on writing a letter to Disney about it. im sure it will get filed away like all the others but WTH right? The squeeky wheel..
Old 01-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #74
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonRob View Post
Im not sure I can agree with you on this one. As you Ive been here a few years and dont forget these points are big money. They were then and they are now. There should be some reasonable expectation that others are playing by the rules and if they were, I would bet everyone who was looking to book at 11 mos out would get what they want on the first try.

as you said, im happy, I got what I wanted this time but the last two years I did not. I do plan on writing a letter to Disney about it. im sure it will get filed away like all the others but WTH right? The squeeky wheel..
We can definitely agree bostonRob that Disney IT SUCKS, and that you should [and we all should] complain about the shortcomings of their systems. Squeaky wheel The fact that your reservation was there and was lost during the transaction wasn't cool (to use Dirk's word).

I will also say that IMO DVC wasn't designed to work seamlessly with multiple UYs. I'm not saying it can't be managed and it is done by many owners. But, I read many, many stories here on the board of people who struggle when making reservations where they needs to share UY contracts to fulfill a reservation. It always seems like a bit of a headache to me. Disney could do a better job with their IT to help folks who have multiple UYs, but I'm not sure it is a priority for them. They want you to buy direct and if you buy direct they push you to keep the same UY.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #75
flypwm
Two Bedroom

Quote:

I'm new to this, and so far haven't run into issues, so please don't take this question as condescending. I'm asking genuinely - what rules do you think are being broken or bent by some?
Old 01-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #76
bostonRob
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypwm View Post
I'm new to this, and so far haven't run into issues, so please don't take this question as condescending. I'm asking genuinely - what rules do you think are being broken or bent by some?

Ive been arguing walking reservations is against the rules.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #77
flypwm
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Ive been arguing walking reservations is against the rules.
Yeah, I can see both sides of that. The other side to me is that you still have to secure the reservation in the first place, and then be on the phone right at 8am to have a rep walk it, right? Or does two browsers work?

I think it would be perfectly fair to make everything cancel and rebook, or limit date changes in some way (1 per reservation, then must cancel and rebook; date changes ok, but only to today+11mos-1; etc). If it were me, I'd do cancel and rebook, but to be quite honest with you I would also have absolutely no trouble automating the browser activity to cancel and rebook. The real solution would probably be to provide 1-3 date changes per reservation, then require cancel and rebook, with some kind of delay (2 hours?) on the points reposting to your account.

Full disclosure: I've never walked a reservation and will likely always be too lazy to ever do it. That includes automating it. But the fastest way to get the rules changed might be for someone to build the automation tool and let other people use it. It'll get worse before it gets better, but you know Disney will change the walk rules then. Before anyone gets on me, I'm not going to do this
Old 01-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #78
FessParker1
One Bedroom

There are only 30 SV one bedrooms available at BLT. That seems to be where the problem is. Studio and 1 bed are also all lock offs. There are 11 weeks in the adventure season, the studio, 1 bedroom, (2 bedroom Lock-off combination) account for a little over 97,680pts over the 11 weeks or 1.65% of all the points at the resort. There are almost 6 million points out at BLT. So 98.35% of the resort is for 2 bedroom, GV or studio and 1 bedroom during higher seasons or point categories.
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote