home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Default Disney Brag Thread

I am starting this thread in the hope of hearing interesting accomplishments, facts, and stories from the rest of you. And of course also to...brag. All of the following are totally true!

I was once the proofreader for the Unofficial Guide.

After a couple Disney trips and buying DVC I really got into planning and learning as much as I could. I had read the Birnbaum guidebook and I started looking for others. I soon found the Unofficial Guide Walt Disney World, and began reading it cover to cover. Every once in a while I would see something I knew wasn't right, so I got in the habit of reading with my red pen handy, and marking things that seemed to be wrong. After I finished the book, I figured I might as well send the list of errors I had compiled, so I did.

I heard back from Len Testa thanking me, and offering to send a PDF of the next edition before it went into print. I said sure I'll do it, and for a few years I would check each edition for errors before it was printed. I enjoyed being able to contribute in that way. But when Facebook became a thing, they put out a general call for proofreaders and got quite a few responses. That year I ended up proofreading just a short section, and I decide to stop as it wasn't fun anymore.

The good part is that I did get to meet Len in person and had lunch with him a couple times. But it's been a few years since I've had any contact with him.

I was the first customer at Spice Road Table.

I was staying at BCV in January 2014, and one afternoon ran into Mike Scopa and his girlfriend in the Beach Club Solarium. I knew him from the old WDW Today podcast and had talked to him in person at MouseFest several times. It was common knowledge that Spice Road Table would be opening soon in Epcot, but he told me it was going to open the next day! (Saturday Jan 11) So I decided to go try it out. I was there at the World Showcase rope drop in France, but wasn’t thinking about being first. It just kind of happened, since I am naturally a fast walker and likely only a handful of guests knew it was opening. I walked directly there and into the restaurant. They made a big deal about me being the first customer! There were photos, and talking to the manager, and writing a brief note in a fancy notebook for them. Plus of course my meal was free. I’m not sure what evidence remains with them or with me, but it is a great memory.

I stayed at the Polynesian Resort Lake View Club Level for $199/night.

These days it costs $1000-$1500 per night to stay in those rooms! But our first family trip was in December 2001, and because of 9/11 air travel was not very popular. Disney dropped prices dramatically to get guests into the resorts. We would have gone in any case but I was happy to accept the great price they offered, and also happy to upgrade to club level (then called “concierge”) for $20 a night!

I have taken a Magic Kingdom tour led and narrated by Jim Korkis.

I the early years of this century there was an event called MouseFest organized by Disney-related webmasters and podcasters, led by Deb Wills of AllEars, that took place in early December each year. The first of these was in 2003, and one of the events was a tour of MK led by Jim Korkis. If you don’t know who he is, you should! He knows more about Disney-related topics than anyone alive and is a delightful man to meet and listen to. He writes regularly for the Allears newsletter (email), and has authored a number of books on Disney World, Disneyland, and Disney-related topics. On this occasion he led us through much of Magic Kingdom describing in detail more things than I can remember; the one the sticks in my mind was the changing architecture as you moved from Adventureland up to Liberty Square and its relation to American history — truly amazing.

I know what the P stands for in “P Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney”

This is just a joke, but yes I do know, and I'm sure a number of you do as well.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

PS: The Jim Korkis MK tour included being admitted into MK at 8AM, an hour before any other guests!

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #3
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

Great idea for a thread! I'm interested to read what people come up with...
fuzzylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

No bragging.....Just love my "Disney Magic" when it happens.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Very cool, indeed!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Not a brag really, but just felt lucky for it to happen. Right Place, Right Time...

Before Enchanted Tales Will Belle was open I was walking back by what would be the new Fantasyland Expansion with my then 5 year old daughter. The rest of the family had went to grab a bite to eat but we were not hungry and she was restless. I want to say it was October 2012, about a month before the show opened.

As we were walking by the scrim a cast member stepped out of the door and asked if we would like to get a special showing of Enchanted Tales With Belle.

They were testing story lines and staff roles and tourist roles.

So, we got to visit Enchanted Tales before final script was complete and before it was open. Still a memory for me. Much more time with Belle at end than the current version!

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
Nickys
Grand Villa

Last trip I had booked the World Showcase Discovery Tour (I think it’s called DestiNations Uncovered or something slightly punny like that) for New Year’s Day for DS(21) and myself.

Staying at Bay Lake, we asked if the Epcot monorail,was running and was told it either would be or there would be buses running from the TTC. Got to the TTC and they were doing the final checks. Most of the people wanting to go to Epcot went off to the buses but DS and I decided to board the monorail. We were the first ones on that day, so the first to ride to Epcot in 2017.

Then when we checked in for the tour, our guide introduced herself. She apologised that she had stepped in to take the tour as the person scheduled had been working at the park the night before. But she was the co-creator of the tour! Totally amazing wealth of knowledge.

And picking up on the Undercover Guide that Eric mentioned. I can claim to have helped create the new style maps they use on Touring Plans and in the Guide. They asked us to critique two main versions of the maps first, and we then made all sorts of suggestions for colour coding, labelling, and style. At least a couple of other MOs were involved too!
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #8
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Not really bragging but...

One rainy evening, I drank at every bar around Crescent Lake, from the Beach Club, YC, Swan, Dolphin, ADH, and ended up at Jelly Rolls, slightly schwasted. I vaguely recall a hot tub at 3am in my clothes.

I stayed at SSR one night for free. I had a falling out with the person I was supposed to be staying with and when I went to book a room, I had no points available till the next day, my contract anniversary date. So the managing CM, let me slide for one night. The only time I wasn't overcharged at SSR.

I have been to every F&W festival since 2002.

I renewed my 20th wedding vows in the Rose Garden at MK and my 30th on a terrace at BLT.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #9
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

I went to Disneyland in 1956. It mainly gives away my age but it is my only brag.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #10
BLTMouse
Studio

I saw all 4 Pavilions that Walt created at the New York World's Fair!
BLTMouse is online now   Reply With Quote