home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #21
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

I own at VGF and CCV and love them both for different reasons. I don't think you can go wrong with either resort. However, these two resorts are not the where the bulk of my points are located. Since you are looking for a week long stay, I would go with CCV where the point spread gets you much further, especially coming from CA, I think you might want to maximize your points at the resort. Since CCV is a smaller resort, you could try to change your points with one who owns at VGF sometimes. Just a thought
Old 11-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #22
The.disney.couple
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
Based on your information, if you want to buy now, I would go with AKV. I also think you might want to consider waiting for Riveria.

If you don't know about room sizes, there is a chart here that will help:
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=91901

VGF - We absolutely love VGF. However, you already own Poly. As you visit more often and as your kids get older I think you might find that having home resort priority in a different area of WDW would be more appealing than owning at 2 resorts that are within walking distance of each other.

CCV - My husband and I just stayed there in Sept. It is a fantastic resort, but again, you already own a MK area resort. Also, the studios there are very small. They have made good use of the space, and it looks good just to walk through, but after staying there for 4 nights we really noticed some things that were awkward because of the size. It may only be 30 sq ft smaller than AKV studio, but you feel every missing square inch when staying there. Even the hall ways are very narrow. It was fine for the two of us, but I would not want to stay there with 2 kids. If you go with CCV, I would say plan for the 1 BR.

BLT - We have never stayed there, so my comments are just based on visiting the resort and other things I know about it. First, again, you already own a MK area resort. Second, the studios at BLT are also very small. I hear that they are designed well (BLT was planned as DVC whereas with CCV they went into some of the smallest hotel rooms on property and converted them to DVC), but they are small. I think you might find yourself in a 1 BR there a lot sooner than you think.

AKV - An awesome resort with a completely different feel from anything else. It's a much better value in terms of buy in price and point requirements, the studios are larger than CCV or BLT so it gives you longer before you have to bump up into a 1 BR. It is only bus transportation, but we find the buses there to be quite good.

Riveria - you didn't mention this, but you might want to think about it. We don't have any details on Riveria yet as far as rooms, but the location is going to be great. I assume your kids are fairly young now, but as they get older they may get more interested in HS with the planned changes coming to HS. Also, there are a lot of new things in the works for EPCOT that will make it more appealing. You said October is a likely visiting time for you - you might enjoy the convenience to EPCOT for F&W. Riveria might be a great location for a second home resort priority. It will also have gondolas as an alternate transportation option.
My original plan maybe a year ago was to wait and save for Riviera for the reason you mentioned of having a great second location home priority window. As time has gone by the price per point direct has gone up a lot and I'm worried that we will be priced out once it opens. I really think it will be 199 per point or higher. A guide at WDW told me he was hearing $210 being thrown around. I just see everything climbing and would like to get something now before it gets too high for us. Also, I don't know how high the points per night will cost either. It's too risky for me I guess.

I think were ok with having a second resort on the loop. TBH we'll probably go to WDW for the resort, relaxing and dining as a priority and the parks will be second. We like Disneyland and DCA far better than MK and HS as far as attractions go. Unless they end up with a sweet DVC deal for the Premier annual pass (both coasts) we'll probably never have an annual pass at WDW so well always be park commandos, open to close without going back and forth to the resort, and only going to 2-3 parks per visit. We go too often here in Anaheim to make the parks a priority. Things could change but that's how we see it now. If were going to a park at WDW were going all day.

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #23
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

So, I'm going to now throw out BWV or BCV. I know you were firm in not wanting a 2042 resort but that is still a long way off. You could buy something new in 2042...if you're still doing Disney. It's 23 years away. And both are killer locations especially with Star Wars stuff opening next year. Both sleep 5 in studios. Great pools and a lot going on. And multiple signatures within walking distance (add in Swan Dolpin's and Epcot's and Studios'). You could book a split stay between your POly and this and have easy access to 3 parks (walk to 2). We have BWV and CCV for this reason. Our OKW is the 7 month points where we try for other resorts and go with best available. BWV and BCV have nice lobbies and, for the most part, are pretty connected (not like Poly and walking far from lobby to Tokelau...same at OKW and SSR).

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT, May 31- June 4 HHI and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:19 PM   #24
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Our favorite resort is BC but we're older so the short contract length isn't an issue for us.

IMO, you should definitely purchase where you would enjoy hanging so that removes BL off your table.

We enjoy AK. We've stayed at Kidani once. Our preference is the Jambo values where in May and the Fall into December a 1 BR value for a week is less points than a standard studio at BL. We stayed AK VS 6 nights in December for 67 points and we're staying in May for 5 nights for 50 points. So yes, the dues are higher but the value accommodations even the table. The bus is a con. When we stay there we pretty much only go to AK park and DS. It's a big spring training location for us. Our youngest will be staying in May so I am curious to see her reaction to the location. She's big on DS and that bus ride is long.

Our oldest prefers the BW and finds the buses annoying. DH dislikes GF and I love the Poly but find it a 'point eater' plus we own at BL so we can get the SV's. One of these days I want to try CCV because we enjoy staying in the main hotels with the impressive lobby. The Territory Lounge is a plus also.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #25
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
So, I'm going to now throw out BWV or BCV. I know you were firm in not wanting a 2042 resort but that is still a long way off. You could buy something new in 2042...if you're still doing Disney. It's 23 years away. And both are killer locations especially with Star Wars stuff opening next year. Both sleep 5 in studios. Great pools and a lot going on. And multiple signatures within walking distance (add in Swan Dolpin's and Epcot's and Studios'). You could book a split stay between your POly and this and have easy access to 3 parks (walk to 2). We have BWV and CCV for this reason. Our OKW is the 7 month points where we try for other resorts and go with best available. BWV and BCV have nice lobbies and, for the most part, are pretty connected (not like Poly and walking far from lobby to Tokelau...same at OKW and SSR).
1/3 of all TS restaurants at WDW are within walking distance of BCV and BWV.
As an owner at both BCV and Poly I can vouch for that being a nice combo.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:17 PM   #26
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
1/3 of all TS restaurants at WDW are within walking distance of BCV and BWV.
As an owner at both BCV and Poly I can vouch for that being a nice combo.
We are retired and really do not care about expiration date. Already own at BLT, BCV and SSR. My brain says to add on at SSR, my heart says BCV but DH LOVES BWV. Seriously, he just loves it. He feels similarly about OKW but does not desire to own there.

Ownership at either Epcot resort cannot be underestimated. They are that special.

Edited to say that Poly is also that special but OP already owns there. If you are looking for something equally desirous I believe that would be BWV/BCV. Cannot speak for VGF because we have never been fortunate enough to stay there yet but it is a point hog. I'm sure it's lovely though.

Last edited by bubster; 11-08-2018 at 11:28 PM.
bubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:32 AM   #27
The.disney.couple
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Something to think about for the future:
If you are not a compulsive planner, you may not want to have contracts at more than two resorts. Juggling the points from 3-5 resorts would be some people's idea of a good time, but for others it would become a nuisance after a couple years. Only you can decide which you are!
Definitely a compulsive planner, lol. Would rather juggle multiple resorts (same use year of course) and lock it in at 11 months than hoping to get what I want at 7 months, especially when dates aren't flexible.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:07 AM   #28
The.disney.couple
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseKayC View Post
If choosing between VGF and CCV our family would go with CCV (note, we own BRV, but have stayed in BRV, VGF, CCV, Poly, and BLT).

A couple of main reasons we would prefer CCV over VGF to own. We do stay at VGF as part of our yearly rotation amongst the various MK resorts

- Believe it or not, we've actually found the CCV transportation to be better than staying at VGF. Even though you're on the monorail, getting to Epcot via monorail loop is long and taking the bus from CCV is actually shorter than taking monorail from VGF.

- CCV is more compact than VGF. You're much closer to the quick service and both pools.

- The point charts per night are much less at CCV.

- As stated previously, the CCV maintenance fees may be coming down, or at least they should...at a minimum they shouldn't go up anytime soon.
Thanks for your thoughts! Good to hear about the transportation not being too bad from CCV. That's a concern for us. We had thought that if we wanted to go to Epcot we would do it staying at Poly on the monorail. Both pools looked really good and the CCV pool was very close. We also loved Geyser Point, the view the food the atmosphere was awesome. We could hand there all day although we'd go broke! lol. And yes the point charts are great almost the entire year.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:14 AM   #29
The.disney.couple
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrspepe View Post
If I were in your situation, I would choose AKV or wait for Riveria. We own at BWV, AKV and BLT. I really enjoy the flexibility of staying in different locations. AKV is a great resort for kids...we also prefer Jambo.

Riveria will offer access to Epcot and the Studios, tons of dining options. Poly already offers you access to MK. AKV is just an amazing, unique experience that offers signature dining.

Your visits will change over the years. When our kids were little, we spent most of our time at MK. Now, we prefer Epcot and AK. Think short and long term.

Wherever you buy, you can always utilize the 7 month window to stay elsewhere. But, it is getting harder and harder to get what you want at that time.
Thank you for your thoughts! We liked AKL but not sure we'd want to stay there long term, plus its pretty easy now at 7 months.

I really wanted Riviera but the lack in info and rise in prices has me feeling we'll be priced out when sales open.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:19 AM   #30
scottalex
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Great post, I'm in practically exact same situation. First Bought Poly (before visiting as well), looking to add 100 points or so, plan to primarily travel in October, Family of 4 in mid 30s...

Resorts I'm looking at are

AKL - Different resort location, affordable resale and decent maint fees, wow factor with savannas, club level options, nice dinning, diverse point charts

Riviera - Holding out for this one as really would like something with great access to Epcot, but like yourself struggle with 2042 resorts and value there. Also would be excuse to splurge on direct to get full member benefits as our Poly purchase was resale. Hard to pay direct premium when there are resale options out there :P. Hoping roof top dining and dedicated DVC amenities will wow me all with diverse and reasonable point charts.... We'll see.

OKWE - generous point charts, very affordable resale and maint fees, wow factor with room size (nice for eventual extended family trips), seems like (never been) might have more relaxed resort vibe, Disney Springs convenience may be nice as kids age out of WDW a bit. Extended not all that available on resale but should become more so as contracts are ROFR, resold as OKWE, and then again offered for resale..
scottalex is offline   Reply With Quote