home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #21
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by legenza99 View Post
Ironically I have the exact same question as the poster but I don't have the restaurant short list figured out. We will be at WDW in May staying at Poly and I'm trying to decide where to go for a somewhat special dinner for our 20th anniversary. I say somewhat special because we will have our 13 year old with us so not exactly a romantic dinner for two and the husband is a fairly picky eater so places with really exotic menus are off the list. I also don't want to spend a ton of money for mediocre food. I'd rather go less fancy (then I don't have to pack fancy clothes either!) but have decent food, service, atmosphere, etc. We are only planning on hitting one park, Epcot, during this trip so that excludes restaurants at the other parks. We ate at Yachtsman a few years ago and thought it was just OK so not looking to go back there. We rarely ever eat at any of the table service restaurants when we visit WDW and aren't really foodies. I'd love to hear suggestions for the best places at Epcot ( though I'm not sure I want to take up my time at Epcot with a sit down dinner) or the resorts. We don't have the dining plan so that isn't a restriction. Any input is appreciated!
Try the Wave. We really like the food there although we generally eat at the bar, so I can't comment on the dining room experience. But the prices are reasonable and we have always liked our dinners there.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #22
mhycki
One Bedroom

Turf club was a surprise in a good way. Nice atmosphere and good selection and service was good every time we went. We now make it a point to eat there every visit.

Mike
Old 11-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #23
GrumpyInPhilly
Studio

We had dinner at Ale & Compass two weeks ago. I had pizza & my wife had a burger. Both were cooked perfectly. For that type of food I would highly recommend it.
GrumpyInPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #24
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Turf Club...Best kept secret! Food is excellent and atmosphere quiet.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #25
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Another fan of Grand Floridian Cafe here. Dine there just about every trip.

Of the selection, I’d vote for Ale & Compass if near Epcot / Hollywood Studios, Turf Club otherwise. I’ve found both enjoyable though not a must-do for me.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #26
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdkrenek View Post
You guys/gals are really giving me some great info! We are looking at Cape May, The Turf Club, or Ale & Compass, because of the steak and seafood options also they are all one table service. Disney Springs is already on our list with a dinner at Ragland Road on another night. The Disney Springs Italian and Mexican food places were just ok a few years ago, so we wanted to try something different.

We are open to other resort/park locations if ya'll have other suggestions. Thanks!
The Boathouse at Disney Springs is excellent and offers both steak and seafood. They are 2 table service credits, butworth it, IMO. Or pay cash and use your credits elsewhere. You can possible combine your tab so that you pay cash for one person and use 2 TS credit for the other person, cutting your cash outlay in half and keeping your credit usage to 2.

For an anniversary meal, I would rather enjoy the meal than maximize dining credits. However, if budget is tight, then I would probably take Turf Club if the menu appeals to you. It's not super special, but I would recommend it over Ale & Compass, and certainly over Cape May.

Another thought would be to look at the steak and seafood options at other 1 TS menus to see what appeals. Every place will have a steak and a fish dish. For shellfish, your options are more limited.

There is always something. The Wave at the Contemporary is pretty good, too.

Dirk
Old 11-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #27
nrspepe
Two Bedroom

Also like the Wave. We think it’s one of the best resort table service options. Setting and service is just a notch above the others. Food has always been good.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #28
teachmusic
One Bedroom

My husband and I stay at SSR often and we enjoy eating at the Turf Club. Quiet restaurant compared with many others and good food as well.
teachmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #29
Miki
Studio

Chiming in here with another vote for the Turf Club out of the three you are looking at. We will always have a meal here when staying at SSR.
We ate at Ale and Compass last week. It was just ok. Much better than it used to be when it was Captain’s Grill IMO. However, not fabulous. Cape May, not going back there. For value, atmosphere, and food quality, WAY over priced. Not relaxing at all.
As others have said, the Turf Club is a bit quieter, the food is good, you can have a relaxed meal.
As some others have said, The Boathouse is very good, perhaps one of our favorites.
Also, Grand Floridian Cafe is very good. We often will eat here when I want to soak up the Grand Floridian atmosphere but not pay the price for Citrico’s or Narccssee’s, both of which we love.
Enjoy and Happy Anniversary!

Home resorts: BLT, BWV, and VWL
Miki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #30
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I really liked Turf Club for lunch and would have lunch there at least once every time we stayed at SSR. We had dinner there twice. The food was good, but very heavy for a hot summer night when we were there. It was also plentiful - so I definitely think TC is quality for the money in relative Disney terms.

Given its dinner club decor, it also has a casual elegance this is nice (and what you certainly wouldn't get at Cape May).

As much as I would have liked to enjoy Captain's Grille and now Ale & Compass, it seems Disney never puts any effort in establishing a great restaurant at YC/BC. CM is fine for what it is (characters at a seafood buffet), but I also thank YC is over-rated and over-priced, especially now that there are several steak places at DS.

Beaches & Cream is fun, but it's just a burger joint/ice cream bar. Yummy, but that's all it is - and it's way under-sourced in terms of space! And there's no standard quick service to serve the place. I would argue YC/BC needs a complete dining overhaul.

Dirk