home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-29-2018, 07:40 AM   #11
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

I think it's hilarious that in the list of posts this one shows as
"How to Have a "No-Park-Day" at Animal Kingdom..."
I came here just to find out how to do that! (And of course was a little disappointed)

ETA: Rats. Looks like they fixed it.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)

Last edited by erikthewise; 10-29-2018 at 09:23 AM.
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #12
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh bears mom View Post
Are these activities open to resort guests staying at other resorts?
Yes, they are. When I went to the sunset story telling, there were people talking about how to get back to CBR afterwards. The only time I've been asked for my room # is when I did ceramics painting. Then they needed 48 hours and would return it to my room. Also, it was a paid activity and they charged my room. But free activities are open to anyone. I've had non-AKL guests on the free Boma/Jiko tour.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #13
Jillybean315
One Bedroom

Thanks so much for sharing this! The family and I have been debating for a couple of years about whether an AKL stay would be a good fit for us, and I think this might help. The primary reason for the debate is transportation. The fact that every time we have used the buses to and from AKL they have been HORRIBLY SLOW and that AKL is so much further removed than the other resorts, the idea of being there without a vehicle just hasn't been very appealing to us. We very seldom drive to FL (almost 1,800 miles one way is a little time consuming), so when we fly in we simply use Disney Transportation. (Full disclosure: in the beginning- first 3 trips- we rented a car once we arrived at MCO; we would be okay until our GPS wouldn't work properly due to cell reception issues; and our car rides would ultimately result in an argument. So now, we just use the Disney Transportation System because it causes less stress (most of the time), and it is much cheaper.) Knowing how many extra activities there are to choose from, I think this might be a great place to try on a future visit!

Disney Trips:
POR-Riverside: June, 2011
Off Proprety: June, 2012
All Star Movies: December, 2012
All Star Sports: June, 2013
Wilderness Lodge: June, 2013
Coronado Springs: December, 2013
Coronado Springs: December, 2014
Boardwalk Villas: January, 2016
Beach Club Villas: September, 2016
POR-Riverside: October, 2016
Polynesian Villas:June, 2017 (Split Stay)
Bay Lake Tower: June, 2017 (Split Stay)
Old Key West: January, 2018

Upcoming: Saratoga Springs: June, 2019

(Me) (DH) (DS age 13) (DD age 11)

Jillybean315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #14
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillybean315 View Post
Thanks so much for sharing this! The family and I have been debating for a couple of years about whether an AKL stay would be a good fit for us, and I think this might help. The primary reason for the debate is transportation. The fact that every time we have used the buses to and from AKL they have been HORRIBLY SLOW and that AKL is so much further removed than the other resorts, the idea of being there without a vehicle just hasn't been very appealing to us. We very seldom drive to FL (almost 1,800 miles one way is a little time consuming), so when we fly in we simply use Disney Transportation. (Full disclosure: in the beginning- first 3 trips- we rented a car once we arrived at MCO; we would be okay until our GPS wouldn't work properly due to cell reception issues; and our car rides would ultimately result in an argument. So now, we just use the Disney Transportation System because it causes less stress (most of the time), and it is much cheaper.) Knowing how many extra activities there are to choose from, I think this might be a great place to try on a future visit!
It has always been my opinion that the uniqueness of AK makes it worth the extra time it takes to get to the parks. Plus, now that we are DVC members and go almost every year [if not more] I no longer feel pushed to spend every minute in the park and I can relax and enjoy the many other things [like great resorts] So...if it takes longer to get to the park, i am ok with that. Hope you try it and love it as much as we do.... I cant stand doing the parks in the hot summer so we are planning a 3 day AK visit just to lounge by the pool, watch the animals, have zebra domes [dessert cakes]eat at Boma , etc....

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS21 DD15

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:16 AM   #15
Redhead58
Two Bedroom

I love AKL, even with no kids. . It is a beautiful and well themed resort with great pools and getting up to see a giraffe standing outside your room is just completely awesome! I love just hanging out there and enjoying their activities.

Yeah, itís a longer bus ride from MK, but I donít mind that either if I do want a park, and AK is really close. With DVC I too feel I donít have to try to do everything when visiting and can have a more relaxing trip and enjoy the resort.