home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #181
OttawaWendy
DVC Board Guide

Congratulations Dirk (and to Jim too). OK, so to summarize... CCC over BRV because you preferred the rooms and being in the main lodge, and because the additional years don't matter (that was a question I had, knowing neither of you had kids and you aren't 25). CCC over Poly because you wanted the freedom to book 1 bedrooms sometimes. CCC over SSR because you wanted to be in the MK area and have always rentable points.

Did I miss anything? Wait, why didn't you buy resale?

I've always loved the VWL theming very much. If we had all the money in the world I'd buy there and at AKV.

OttawaBoy's birth announcement and hospital support thread - good to read if you need a cry
OttawaWendy's views on "buy where you want to stay" versus "buy where it's cheapest"
Previous trip reports:
December 2009 - AKV and SSR; March 2010 - HHI; December 2010 - Kidani; January 2013 - Boardwalk Villa (OB = 19 months); November 2013 - AKL (OB = 31 months)
OttawaWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #182
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaWendy View Post
I've always loved the VWL theming very much. If we had all the money in the world I'd buy there and at AKV.
If someone is selling CCV already, I would wonder WTF was going on. Our board sponsor does show a couple listings, but frankly they're not that much cheaper than buying direct.

Old joke:
Child: "Daddy, if you had all the money in the world, what would you do?"
Father: "I'd apply it against my debts as far as it would go!"

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #183
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
If someone is selling CCV already, I would wonder WTF was going on. Our board sponsor does show a couple listings, but frankly they're not that much cheaper than buying direct.

Old joke:
Especially if you add in the usual better deals on a cruise vs elsewhere for buying. I looked at the resales once, and realized that with closings and such if we wanted CCV, it would be better to just do direct. Faster too
Old 10-24-2018, 02:14 PM   #184
OttawaWendy
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post

Old joke:
Yeah, I think I meant resale Poly or SSR, since it would be so much cheaper than CCV direct.

To be clear, I'm not criticizing. I get frustrated when people make what I consider stupid purchasing decisions, not when they make emotional ones. Buying Grand Floridian because "we want to own the best" when you can only make plans 2-3 months in advance - that's stupid. Buying CCV because you love the resort is fine.

ETA - when people resell right after buying, I think one of two things: lost job or divorce. Never a good story.

OttawaBoy's birth announcement and hospital support thread - good to read if you need a cry
OttawaWendy's views on "buy where you want to stay" versus "buy where it's cheapest"
Previous trip reports:
December 2009 - AKV and SSR; March 2010 - HHI; December 2010 - Kidani; January 2013 - Boardwalk Villa (OB = 19 months); November 2013 - AKL (OB = 31 months)
Old 10-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #185
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaWendy View Post
Congratulations Dirk (and to Jim too). OK, so to summarize... CCC over BRV because you preferred the rooms and being in the main lodge, and because the additional years don't matter (that was a question I had, knowing neither of you had kids and you aren't 25). CCC over Poly because you wanted the freedom to book 1 bedrooms sometimes. CCC over SSR because you wanted to be in the MK area and have always rentable points.

SSR was $154 a point and CCV came in at at $173 a point. That's not a huge price gap for what we're getting.

I wouldn't mind owning at PVB because we will stay in studios happily, but at other resorts, studios sell out before 1 bedrooms so I want a large enough pool of points to cover a studio or a 1 bedroom wherever we want to stay. Reality is, some trips will be longer or more frequent studio stays, and some will be less frequent 1 bedroom stays. I believe PVB resale is about the same as CCV direct with the onboard discount we got.

We both definitely like CCV over BRV. Given the size of CCV and its location, I also expect to be able to recoup my investment via resale if we decide to downsize in a few years. The same wouldn't be true of SSR resale from Disney, most likely.

To be honest, the decision was more emotional than financially logical, but I don't think we made a dumb financial decision, and we did decide based on other factors. The important thing to me is to have the points I need at a price we can afford. The important thing to Jim was to be at CCC.

Dirk
Old 10-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #186
pdude81
Grand Villa

The point cost for a 1BR at CCV is great too. We stayed there this past summer in 1BR because that was the only option as a non-owner, and would be happy to pick up a contract there in the future to be able to reserve studios.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #187
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
The point cost for a 1BR at CCV is great too. We stayed there this past summer in 1BR because that was the only option as a non-owner, and would be happy to pick up a contract there in the future to be able to reserve studios.
I forgot to mention that - the point charts match BRV/Old VWL so they are really good in comparison to the Monorail resorts, and certainly better than the Polynesian. I don't know that I get anything better in a PVB Studio than a CCV studio since they included two nightstands and a walk-in show in the CCV studios!

On balance, CCV may be the best deal from DVC in awhile given the point charts.

Dirk
Old 10-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #188
OttawaWendy
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
I didn't know that. You're right, that makes it all much more attractive.

Previous trip reports: