home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #11
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
lots of clueless folks, i mean really clueless, like after booking/sending cashier's check for christmas bwv studio within one week, they want to change reservation to first week in january..."it's showing up on the site."

lots of really short-stay requests (e.g., 1-2 nights)

lots of requests to break up already short spec ressie ("i just need1-2 nights...will you split").

lots of short-window requests (e.g., tonights, next week, next month)

bwv standard and bcv studios commanding highest rental prices...all you have to do owners is ask. $19-22+ (spec or custom)

fb is where many newbies land

"brokers have same reservation cheaper, just trying to help you" (no clue about availability issues...just go and plug in nights to get price)

want to use a charge card

want to make payments

want "what if i have to cancel"...even when offering one rebook option - want to assume virtually no risk.

ebay is dead

redweek is dead

prices/interest are generally stagnant, even here on mo. i look at the "for rent" board often and see mostly bumps by op...unless they are offering ridiculously low prices on distressed points; then there are lots of unfillable requests.

"i'm already booked at AOA...looking for a better deal, want to pay less than $200/night." (no matter the resort or season).

it's a pita...more so than ever before. i'm spending as much time if not more renting 1/2 the points as a few years back.
This just makes me crazy. In fact it makes me vow to continue to use each and every point we own ourselves or gift them to family when we can’t. Our family understands the constraints of DVC and know not to be too picky.

When renting from another owner I always looked at confirmed reservations and if something fit our timeframe it was great but have adjusted our plans to fit the reservation. I realize we are fortunate to have the flexibility to do that.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #12
Joeli
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Your experiences make me second guess my plans to rent out some points. We found ourselves having lots of extra points next year (much fewer WDW trips). Maybe it would be better to splurge and rent something that needs lots of points than to rent out points!

Or find someone on MO that you "know" that may be willing to make a deal. Something that works for both of you. Just my two cents.

Upcoming:
2020 (Jan - Swan, Feb - BWV, Mar - PVB, Apr - PVB, May - AKV, AKV, Jun - PVB, Jul - PVB, Sept - DCL Fantasy)

Done:
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sept, Oct, Dec) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan, BWV, BLT, BWV, RCCL - Allure of the Seas
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:08 PM   #13
cali09
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
lots of clueless folks, i mean really clueless, like after booking/sending cashier's check for christmas bwv studio within one week, they want to change reservation to first week in january..."it's showing up on the site."

lots of really short-stay requests (e.g., 1-2 nights)

lots of requests to break up already short spec ressie ("i just need1-2 nights...will you split").

lots of short-window requests (e.g., tonights, next week, next month)

bwv standard and bcv studios commanding highest rental prices...all you have to do owners is ask. $19-22+ (spec or custom)

fb is where many newbies land

"brokers have same reservation cheaper, just trying to help you" (no clue about availability issues...just go and plug in nights to get price)

want to use a charge card

want to make payments

want "what if i have to cancel"...even when offering one rebook option - want to assume virtually no risk.

ebay is dead

redweek is dead

prices/interest are generally stagnant, even here on mo. i look at the "for rent" board often and see mostly bumps by op...unless they are offering ridiculously low prices on distressed points; then there are lots of unfillable requests.

"i'm already booked at AOA...looking for a better deal, want to pay less than $200/night." (no matter the resort or season).
Agreed.

I have seen all of this from multiple fb rental groups.

A LOT of last minute requests, only want one or two nights, only want studios, want to pay $12 per point or looking for "distressed" points

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #14
sawickipedia
One Bedroom

Renting anything is never easy - that's why friends of mine who rent out an old house or condo vs just selling it I tend to look at as if they are crazy. Renting is work.
sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:19 PM   #15
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

In other words, "This job would be great if it wasn't for the f'n customers".

Honestly the requests above aren't that unreasonable. I'd say they're part of the normal travel experience everyday people expect when they book anything else.

Last edited by fuzzylogic; 11-11-2019 at 09:45 PM.
fuzzylogic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #16
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Damn shame. Oh well, I personally couldn’t care less. Though hopefully seen by all the potential “clueless” customers so they know who/what they’re dealing with...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:39 PM   #17
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I spent the last two weeks vetting ads while Kim is away. I was surprised at the number of “I want prime location at peak time next week” ads that showed up, as well as a few “Willing to only pay so much so if you’ve got distressed points I’m here to do you a favor.”

Hey, no harm in asking, but it does seem to be more than I remember from the past.

I don’t know if its cluelessness, or people are being crafty and gambling that distressed points might be available.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:44 PM   #18
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post
I am only renting to friends I know or people I am comfortable with from this site. simply too much work and worry otherwise.
My approach as well with my non-DVC points for which we have excess. No plans to rent DVC and, even if I did, I'd follow the same approach.

Also, if we have excess other points, we can rent them to friends and family at our cost to eat up some of the MFs. No need to make money at this in those cases. Definitely wouldn't spend a lot of time making a business of it for these modest returns.

Cheers.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:09 PM   #19
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I spent the last two weeks vetting ads while Kim is away. I was surprised at the number of “I want prime location at peak time next week” ads that showed up, as well as a few “Willing to only pay so much so if you’ve got distressed points I’m here to do you a favor.”

Hey, no harm in asking, but it does seem to be more than I remember from the past.

I don’t know if its cluelessness, or people are being crafty and gambling that distressed points might be available.

Dirk
I don’t know. I work for a large Home Improvement company and it seems more this year than ever people want to bargain down the price.

“ I have spent over $10,000 here at this store, can I get a 50% discount?” “ Um, no, there is no sale .” OR “ I see a small scratch on this door frame, how about a discount?” It’s all day, every day. Back in the day I never dreamed of asking for a lower price on a non sale item.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:12 PM   #20
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post

“ I have spent over $10,000 here at this store, can I get a 50% discount?” “ Um, no, there is no sale .” OR “ I see a small scratch on this door frame, how about a discount?” It’s all day, every day. Back in the day I never dreamed of asking for a lower price on a non sale item.
I wonder how much of this mentality comes from the transparency that came into car buying some years back where people knew exactly what was invoice and could bargain with that knowledge and generally get a better deal. maybe this is carrying over into other areas?

Cheers.