home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-31-2019, 09:57 AM   #21
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great3 View Post
Thanks for answering Brian5581.

So, this begs another question. If I can transfer future use year's points, how far in advance can you transfer. I presume since it's 2019 today, you can transfer 2018 use years (for those folks with later 2018 use years with points not yet expired), 2019 use years, and you are now also saying, I can also tranfer 2020 use years.

I am assuming, in my example, you can't yet transfer Feb. 2021 use years points today, or can you? So, how far in advance?

Thanks,
Great3
If you have a June UY, for example, you are currently in your 2018 UY. You can transfer your 2018 and 2019 points right now. You cannot transfer your 2020 points until June 1st, 2019.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:58 AM   #22
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks for answering Brian5581.

So, this begs another question. If I can transfer future use year's points, how far in advance can you transfer. I presume since it's 2019 today, you can transfer 2018 use years (for those folks with later 2018 use years with points not yet expired), 2019 use years, and you are now also saying, I can also tranfer 2020 use years.

I am assuming, in my example, you can't yet transfer Feb. 2021 use years points today, or can you? So, how far in advance?

Thanks,
Great3
You can transfer current UY points and the next year's points.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #23
Great3
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
If you have a June UY, for example, you are currently in your 2018 UY. You can transfer your 2018 and 2019 points right now. You cannot transfer your 2020 points until June 1st, 2019.
Awe, perfect example. That makes even more sense, it's not that you can transfer 2020 points in 2019, but rather that you can only transfer 2020 points once you hit your 2019 use year. It may be that it is 2019 today, but if you are in your 2018 use year, you can't transfer 2020 points yet. Got it. Thanks Again all.

Great3
Great3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:08 PM   #24
sawickipedia
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Awe, perfect example. That makes even more sense, it's not that you can transfer 2020 points in 2019, but rather that you can only transfer 2020 points once you hit your 2019 use year. It may be that it is 2019 today, but if you are in your 2018 use year, you can't transfer 2020 points yet. Got it. Thanks Again all.

Great3
Finally makes sense
sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:03 PM   #25
Great3
Studio

Default More Points Transfer questions

So, I actually ended getting another Aulani 200 points contract, Feb UY, in addition to my 100 points, June UY contract. I am finally done buying. I did book my first Aulani vacation for Dec. this year, excited about that!!!

Now, back to the questions. Since my two contracts are different UY years at the same Aulani resort, I have 2 different membership ID numbers.

Is the points transfer once per member, or once per membership ID?

I can understand how points transfer work if it's once per membership ID.

What gets me is if it's restricted to one transfer per member per year. With different Feb and June Use years, how does that work?

I am not quite sure I understand the restrictions regarding one transfer in or out. I read the rules on DVC website and other DVC info web pages, but I can't seem to make sense of it all.

Thanks ahead of time for any clarity someone can shed on point transfer out / in restrictions.

Great3

Back Story and another side question: I had to borrow June 2020 UY points to make my reservations for Dec 2019, since it's only 100 points contract. Now that I got this new Feb UY contract with leftover Feb. 2019 UY points, I can't use it by Jan. 2020. I know I can bank it forward, but I am considering skipping Oahu for 2020 to go to Big Island (which I actually love better than Oahu), or Maui, or Kauai (which I never been and still wanting to go someday). I know once banked, I can't transfer out Feb. 2019 UY points anymore, just rent out if need be, so I am looking to transfer out remaining Feb. 2019 UY points, Feb. 2020 UY points, and remaining June 2020 UY points and not quite sure I understand the Transfer In / Out Restrictions properly.

Now the side question: Since I just got this new Feb. UY contract, will DVC let me un-borrow June 2020 UY points to substitute with the remaining Feb. 2019 UY points I just got for my current reservation. Reservation was made within 7 months window, and still have availability for what I want right now, so it can be cancel and rebook. If they can do that, than I would only have Feb. 2020 and June 2020 UY points to deal with later, and can figure all this out later if I really want to skip Oahu next year. I know usually, once borrow, points can't be returned back to the UY they came from, which I am fine with (rules are rules), I will just work with the rules we got. But I wonder if Disney will make an exception for situation like this when you just purchase another contract. But if the exception is only a once in a Lifetime exception, obviously, this not a good time to ask for that exception, and I will save that favor from DVC for when there's really no other options other than to lose points to ask for the exception. There's plenty of option on the table, I have until end of Sept. currently to make my decisions about what to do before having to bank Feb. 2019 points.

Last edited by Great3; 08-06-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:49 PM   #26
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

Quote:
Is the points transfer once per member, or once per membership ID?
Membership ID.
So you could transfer FROM your Member ID 1 (using that transfer) TO your Member ID 2 (using that transfer). Transferring between your own member IDs costs you both transfers. One from each account. Or you could transfer out of both, or into both, or to someone from one and from someone to the other. One per Member ID.

Quote:
What gets me is if it's restricted to one transfer per member per year. With different Feb and June Use years, how does that work?
It's pretty much like you'd think. If you transfer now, you're in your Feb 2019 UY and your June 2019 UY so you'd use up your 2019 from each. BUT, this is the technical read, and CMs have supposedly been able to fudge this.

Quote:
Back Story and another side question: I had to borrow June 2020 UY points to make my reservations for Dec 2019, since it's only 100 points contract. Now that I got this new Feb UY contract with leftover Feb. 2019 UY points, I can't use it by Jan. 2020.
Personally I would try to have them reallocate. Take your new Feb points that are good thru Jan 2020, have them apply those to your booked trip, thereby returning your June 2019 points to your June 2019 contract. That is if you used any June 2019 points and not all borrowed 2020 points. I would do as many as you used of regular / current June 2019 points. That way you can bank those.

Quote:
I know once banked, I can't transfer out Feb. 2019 UY points anymore, just rent out if need be, so I am looking to transfer out remaining Feb. 2019 UY points, Feb. 2020 UY points, and remaining June 2020 UY points and not quite sure I understand the Transfer In / Out Restrictions properly.
Well you're looking at, at least two transfers there. One for the Feb 2019 + Feb 2020 points and a separate one on your other Membership for the June 2020 points. So from this perspective, leaving all the 200 points in your Feb could be a good plan too, because you can transfer them all away in one chunk. But I guess I have to ask why did you buy the extra 200 if you just want to transfer them all away and have no plans for your June 2020 points either?

Quote:
Now the side question: Since I just got this new Feb. UY contract, will DVC let me un-borrow June 2020 UY points to substitute with the remaining Feb. 2019 UY points I just got
No. If you could, that would be golden. But no. Just put the June 2019 points back, because at least those can be banked. The borrowed 2020 points are as good as gone. Leave those as they are, spent on your trip.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by fuzzylogic; 08-06-2019 at 11:01 PM.
fuzzylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:02 AM   #27
Great3
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
Membership ID.
So you could transfer FROM your Member ID 1 (using that transfer) TO your Member ID 2 (using that transfer). Transferring between your own member IDs costs you both transfers. One from each account. Or you could transfer out of both, or into both, or to someone from one and from someone to the other. One per Member ID.

Okay, if it's one transfer in or out per Membership ID, than I think I understand the transfer rules. So I can have two transfers in if I really need it, one to each Membership ID. This is good to know.

Quote:
It's pretty much like you'd think. If you transfer now, you're in your Feb 2019 UY and your June 2019 UY so you'd use up your 2019 from each. BUT, this is the technical read, and CMs have supposedly been able to fudge this.
I don't have any June 2019 UY points left, but let's say that I did. From your previous answer, I understand I can make two transfers out, the remaining Feb. 2019 UY points, and the June 2019 UY points left if I did have any left. Are you saying if I were to only transfer out Feb. 2019 remaining points, that since it's in 2019 UY for both Feb and June contracts, I already used up the transfer ability for June 2019 UY too, meaning I can only do one transfer per calendar year? What do you mean CMs have to fudge this, this is the part that confused me, because if I understand the first part correctly, I can transfer out 2 times in 2019, once for Feb. 2019 UY, and once for June 2019 UY? I know I am repeating myself here, but just trying to confirm my understanding.

Quote:
Personally I would try to have them reallocate. Take your new Feb points that are good thru Jan 2020, have them apply those to your booked trip, thereby returning your June 2019 points to your June 2019 contract. That is if you used any June 2019 points and not all borrowed 2020 points. I would do as many as you used of regular / current June 2019 points. That way you can bank those.
Thanks for pointing this out, definitely didn't think about that before.

Quote:
Well you're looking at, at least two transfers there. One for the Feb 2019 + Feb 2020 points and a separate one on your other Membership for the June 2020 points. So from this perspective, leaving all the 200 points in your Feb could be a good plan too, because you can transfer them all away in one chunk. But I guess I have to ask why did you buy the extra 200 if you just want to transfer them all away and have no plans for your June 2020 points either?
Good question, why did I buy the contract now instead of waiting if I don't have plans for 2020. Because it was subsidized Aulani contract at a great price!!!, which seems harder to come by. If it wasn't subsidized, I would have been in no rush and waiting until I really needed the points.

But the actuality is, I really don't know my plans completely, I do things spontaneously all the time, although I also do plan ahead, like almost 2 years ahead somtimes. For this year originally, I wasn't planning to go back to Hawaii / Oahu, I was planning to skip it for this 2019 year, as I been there the last 4 years. But than guess what, by May 2019, I missed Hawaii so much that I am booked for Hawaii / Oahu again for almost two weeks this year . Now I am saying the same thing about 2020, and who knows what I will really do. Hint: I will probably lose my battle at skipping Hawaii for another year to go somewhere else . I guess at this time, I am just trying to understand all the rules so I can figure out all the different options I have so I can be fully informed before making any decisions / adjustments to my vacation plans. I believe I understand well enough my HGVC, WorldMark, and Silver Lake timeshare memberships, now I just trying to get the same handle on DVC.

Quote:
No. If you could, that would be golden. But no. Just put the June 2019 points back, because at least those can be banked. The borrowed 2020 points are as good as gone. Leave those as they are, spent on your trip.

Hope that helps!
Thanks again fuzzylogic for taking the time to answer. Most likely, I will just get rid of remaining Feb. 2019 UY points at first, and save Feb. 2020 UY until I truly make up my mind sometime next year. And June 2020 UY points I can use until May 2021, and definitely I know if I win my battle at finally skipping Hawaii / Oahu one year in 2020, I know I am certainly going to back by 2021 at the latest.

So all in all, this is more an exercise of the mind currently, with a bunch of what if's.

Thanks again,
Great3
Old 08-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #28
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

Quote:
I understand I can make two transfers out, the remaining Feb. 2019 UY points, and the June 2019 UY points left if I did have any left. Are you saying if I were to only transfer out Feb. 2019 remaining points, that since it's in 2019 UY for both Feb and June contracts, I already used up the transfer ability for June 2019 UY too, meaning I can only do one transfer per calendar year?
If you transfer your Feb points out now, you use up your 2019 Feb UY transfer. You still have your June account transfer left. The accounts are completely separate and doing something in one has no effect on the other.

Quote:
What do you mean CMs have to fudge this, this is the part that confused me
Fudge... I've heard they can bend the rules here. Not saying I've done it, but I've read they have done transfers that might exceed a strict reading of the rules particularly if it's for one owner on both accts. Per the rules, one transfer per Member ID per Use Year. Yes you can surely transfer out twice, once from each account per year.

Quote:
Thanks again fuzzylogic for taking the time to answer. Most likely, I will just get rid of remaining Feb. 2019 UY points at first, and save Feb. 2020 UY until I truly make up my mind sometime next year. And June 2020 UY points I can use until May 2021.
Sounds reasonable. The only urgency is to deal with your Feb 2019 points since you're already 6 mo into that UY and the banking deadline is next mo.

You're welcome!
fuzzylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #29
Great3
Studio

Default Learned Something New!!!

Quote:
Sounds reasonable. The only urgency is to deal with your Feb 2019 points since you're already 6 mo into that UY and the banking deadline is next mo.

You're welcome!
So, I found this posted somewhere else:

From Article II, paragraph 5, B, 2)

However, if a Club Member purchases an additional Ownership Interest after Borrowing Home Resort Vacation Points, that Club Member may substitute newly allocated Home Resort Vacation Points of a current Use Year for the Borrowed Home Resort Vacation Points that were used toward a future reservation, and the Borrowed Home Resort Vacation Points will be returned to their original Use Year.

Using the above rule, I decided to just call DVC and asked about the rule, and the CM went ahead and booked a new reservation using my remaining Feb. 2019 UY points along with some points borrowed from my Feb. 2020 UY to complete it. Than she cancel my original reservation, and returned the borrowed June UY 2020 points back to 2020 (but said it will still take 7-10 days), so now I don't have to deal with the remaining Feb. 2019 UY points anymore.

I hope I didn't end up using my once in a lifetime exception, that the CM did that as part of the allowed rule as I asked about above, but if I did, oh well, it's too late now. I know rules are rules, and don't expect exceptions to be handed out.

Great3

Last edited by Great3; 08-08-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #30
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
If they can do that, than I would only have Feb. 2020 and June 2020 UY points to deal with later, and can figure all this out later if I really want to skip Oahu next year. I know usually, once borrow, points can't be returned back to the UY they came from, which I am fine with (rules are rules), I will just work with the rules we got. But I wonder if Disney will make an exception for situation like this when you just purchase another contract. But if the exception is only a once in a Lifetime exception, obviously, this not a good time to ask for that exception, and I will save that favor from DVC for when there's really no other options other than to lose points to ask for the exception. There's plenty of option on the table, I have until end of Sept. currently to make my decisions about what to do before having to bank Feb. 2019 points.

MS did exactly what you want for me when I was in a similar situation. I had purchased a resale contract (DEC UY) that had 68 points that were going to expire. It was during F&W, and the only rooms I could get were 1BRs, so I ended up needing to borrow like 40 points to complete our 4 night stay.

We then bought another resale contract (APR UY), and when I called in asking to reallocate points for a different reservation -- the MS lady told me she could make it a lot easier for me by using my APR UY points and that she'd even unborrow the DEC points.

I have no idea if this is a one time exception -- she certainly didn't make it sound that way -- but I didn't ask any questions since she offered to do it.
mustinjourney is online now   Reply With Quote