home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking Just me at SSR

Quick Weekend Trip - at Saratoga Springs.

Enjoyed Shopping, Food, and Pool time

I saw 4 dogs - each panting they were so hot... and one limping - looked like paws burnt... I don't get how taking your 'emotional dog support' into such hot weather is being friendly towards them. I love pets. Just my observation that this isn't the best place to take your dog. While in DD, I had a person shout out as coming into the XMAS store, Look out - Poodle coming in. Dog hat a hat and tennis outfit on. And they we're kinda aggravated that as they sailed in, that I didn't move out of their way. But I was talking to a CM, and have bad ankle, so couldn't move as quickly as they wanted... At any rate, moving on.. Just commenting that I was suprised to see so many dogs this trip - 4 (over 2 days)... and in such hot weather.

SSR is lovely. I did however not like being so far away in Building 92 (Grandstand). I can see how some may not like how spread out it is. Glad I broke down and got a scooter. I had to do a split stay, and did first night at preferred - congress park, and loved the view, and how easy it was to get to Downtown Disney. I still like SSR, despite what all the renters say anywhere but..... And the open hallways work well for me in parking my scooter for charging.

Ate at Chef Art Smiths, and saw disgusting item in their ladies room. Someone had thrown used dirty feminine products on the floor. I let desk know, and they took care of immediately. But Wow, people are gross. I'm not usually germaphobic, but this even took my breath away.

I went to TOWL and had a great time. Ordered the chaurcuterie (Spelling - CHeese) board (but had to ask for more chips). It was yummy. At end of FW, there was big line to take elevator back down. Is there any other elevators down the hall that can be used to get down from TOWL?

Next day when I checked out I found an extra $73 charge on my room. Apparently, when you go to bar, they leave an open tab for about 2 hours. So even though I paid, tab was left open. And I guess my server put another parties tab onto my magic band account. Front desk said are you sure you didn't have..?. they read the items, and it contained several flights of vodka, which I'm sure I would have remembered and enjoyed. Front desk fixed, but glad I checked bill on way out. (So Tip, check your bill before leaving).

Oh, and magical express wasn't setup correctly. They did for my last day, and not for the evening before when I was leaving. I keep room thru Sunday evening to Monday, cause I like to shower etc and nap before flying back, but even though I had told DVC when placing the ressie, they still made my return on Monday (not Sunday when flight was scheduled). I had to call magical express directly to fix, and then go (again - haha) to concierge desk and reprint.

For engineering issues, the in room wake up call thingy (dial 2,4) didn't work. The Voice response unit works half way thru, and then craps out. I called in three times. THey never did fix, but maybe because it's the weekend. I called in via operator the place wake up call, and that worked fine.

Got Sun, Got Rest, and had a blast. Getting DDP for first day worked like a charm. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Rained every afternoon, but only half hour, so not a problem.

I wanted to see movie in the Plushy DD theater, but never found the time.

It was okay going by myself, but by end of weekend was ready to go back and see my family. I think only a few days alone work for me. Then I start to get lonely.

Oh, and the flowers and trees all looked so beautiful. SSR is really starting to mature in it's landscaping.

On Magical Bus ride back, we went to Carribean Beach. Boy building looks huge there. I am hoping there will be enough rides to support all the DVC rooms they are building. Lately, I've been only getting 3-5 rides in, and I used to do 10ish. BUt that too was rope drop, and lately I haven't been able to get up in time.

So overall a few issues, but still a wonderful break.

Goldi

Last edited by goldilocks_63; 06-04-2018 at 12:35 PM.
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post
Quick Weekend Trip - at Saratoga Springs.

Enjoyed Shopping, Food, and Pool time

I saw 4 dogs - each panting they were so hot... and one limping - looked like paws burnt... I don't get how taking your 'emotional dog support' into such hot weather is being friendly towards them. I love pets. Just my observation that this isn't the best place to take your dog. While in DD, I had a person shout out as coming into the XMAS store, Look out - Poodle coming in. Dog hat a hat and tennis outfit on. And they we're kinda aggravated that as they sailed in, that I didn't move out of their way. But I was talking to a CM, and have bad ankle, so couldn't move as quickly as they wanted... At any rate, moving on.. Just commenting that I was suprised to see so many dogs this trip - 4 (over 2 days)... and in such hot weather.

SSR is lovely. I did however not like being so far away in Building 92 (Grandstand). I can see how some may not like how spread out it is. Glad I broke down and got a scooter. I had to do a split stay, and did first night at preferred - congress park, and loved the view, and how easy it was to get to Downtown Disney. I still like SSR, despite what all the renters say anywhere but..... And the open hallways work well for me in parking my scooter for charging.

Ate at Chef Art Smiths, and saw disgusting item in their ladies room. Someone had thrown used dirty feminine products on the floor. I let desk know, and they took care of immediately. But Wow, people are gross. I'm not usually germaphobic, but this even took my breath away.

I went to TOWL and had a great time. Ordered the chaurcuterie (Spelling - CHeese) board (but had to ask for more chips). It was lovely. There was big line to take elevator back down. Is there any other elevators down the hall that can be used to get down?

But next day when I checked out I found an extra $73 charge on my room. Apparently, when you go to bar, they leave an open tab for about 2 hours. So even though I paid, tab was left open. And I guess my server put another parties tab onto my magic band account. Front desk said are you sure you didn't have..?. they read the items, and it contained several flights of vodka, which I'm sure I would have remembered and enjoyed. Front desk fixed, but glad I checked bill on way out. (So Tip, check your bill before leaving).

Oh, and magical express wasn't setup correctly. They did for my last day, and not for the evening before when I was leaving. I keep room thru Sunday evening to Monday, cause I like to shower etc and nap before flying back, but even though I had told DVC when placing the ressie, they still made my return on Monday (not Sunday when flight was scheduled). I had to call magical express directly to fix, and then go (again - haha) to concierge desk and reprint.

For engineering issues, the in room wake up call thingy (dial 2,4) didn't work. The Voice response unit works half way thru, and then craps out. I called in three times. THey never did fix, but maybe because it's the weekend. I called in via operator the place wake up call, and that worked fine.

Got Sun, Got Rest, and had a blast. Getting DDP for first day worked like a charm. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Rained every afternoon, but only half hour, so not a problem.

I wanted to see movie in the Plushy DD theater, but never found the time.

It was okay going by myself, but by end of weekend was ready to go back and see my family. I think only a few days alone work for me. Then I start to get lonely.

Oh, and the flowers and trees all looked so beautiful. SSR is really starting to mature in it's landscaping.

On Magical Bus ride back, we went to Carribean Beach. Boy building looks huge there. I am hoping there will be enough rides to support all the DVC rooms they are building. Lately, I've been only getting 3-5 rides in, and I used to do 10ish. BUt that too was rope drop, and lately I haven't been able to get up in time.

Goldi
Thank you, I enjoyed reading.
I have a solo trip booked for September to SSR.
I think itís beautifully landscaped and enjoy walking around the resort.
I have Standard Studio booked too.
I am glad the DDP worked out for you.
Did your credits transfer ok?
DVCQUEEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post
I am glad the DDP worked out for you.
Did your credits transfer ok?
I didn't need to transfer my dining credits, because I only booked for the first night (on the preferred room ressie). According to front desk, asked since I was there a few times, you have to finish up all your credit on your first ressie before starting your second ressie. Moving them over can be done, but according to CM doesn't always work.

also, forgot to add I did laundry, and there is an laundryview.com that was suggested, but I never could find saratoga springs or any other disney resort listed. Has anyone else used successfully laundryview?

oh, at MCO, Pre-tsa closes early at 9:00 p.m. The other line was around 25 minutes long by comparison.... (I just got in under the wire, as I had last flight back to Chicago at 11 p.m.).

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
dvf_diva
Grand Villa

Quote:
also, forgot to add I did laundry, and there is an laundryview.com that was suggested, but I never could find saratoga springs or any other disney resort listed. Has anyone else used successfully laundryview?
Just did a SSR stay at Grandstand villa (9323) and happy to see little bottles of toiletries still there. LOL
But I agree, that location sure does feel far from Carriage House, esp. in the rain when the walking path gets very flooded (particularly down by the trellised arch where the golf cart path runs parallel), even though it was, in reality, only a quick walk.
I found out that this was not a long walk in the scheme of things because I did laundry near the Grandstand pool on my checkout day. I was able to find SSR on Laundryview at this link: http://classic.laundryview.com/disneyworld/
I clicked on Saratoga Springs and could see how many washers & dryers available. That's how I discovered that one of the two washers had broken midcycle; it should have said 0W when I had loads in both, but it was 1W ... meaning one was not running! I was met with a machine full of soaking wet clothes, not enough time to rerun them in functioning machine. I wish they had just a rinse&spin option. Anyway, had to make more than 2 extra return trips back and forth from Comm Hall, where my son was, in order to get stuff fully dry in dryer, or at least dry enough to pack into my suitcase for the next 8 hrs (DME to MCO, thru security, flight, home). They don't have a sink in the laundry room, so I had to either wring out my wet clothing over the one drain in the floor or outside in the bushes. Very not convenient.

Quote:
I didn't need to transfer my dining credits, because I only booked for the first night (on the preferred room ressie). According to front desk, asked since I was there a few times, you have to finish up all your credit on your first ressie before starting your second ressie. Moving them over can be done, but according to CM doesn't always work.
Friends found this out too on same trip. CM needed them to use up their remaining 3 snack credits from previous QSDP before they could use their QS credit from second QSDP. Apparently, since my friends needed their QS meal, the very nice CM dipped into second QSDP for it, thus deactivating first QSDP, and then manually added three extra snacks onto second QSDP. And it still turned out to be too much food for the trip. I had same finding with my own QSDP -- too much food!

June 2018 VGF
July 2018 SSR/Dream
Oct 2018 BWV/BLT
Feb 2019 BLT&VGF

Last edited by dvf_diva; 06-04-2018 at 01:34 PM.
dvf_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Sounds like a nice trip. I'm with you and don't get the desire to bring one's dog to WDW. Not much fun for anybody, dog or human...IMO. Thanks for sharing your report.

Oh, and I wanted to add...we did split stay last Oct. We did 2 studios for us and in laws. And stayed at BWV for 4 nights before moving over to AKV for 3. We booked deluxe DP for in laws room at BWV and used the credits so all 4 of us could go to 3 signature restaurants including for Jiko at AKL on the evening we switched resorts. We checked out of BWV and into AKV and our last credits were still on in laws MB for the Jiko dinner that night. So...we were supposed to use them all before checking into AKV? No online check in?

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2018- Oct 5-6 at CCV before Oct 6-14 CCL Horizon Oct 14-15 at HHI and Dec 19-24 at BWV
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS

Last edited by Lamima; 06-04-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
cvjw
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Sounds like a nice trip. I'm with you and don't get the desire to bring one's dog to WDW. Not much fun for anybody, dog or human...IMO. Thanks for sharing your report.

Oh, and I wanted to add...we did split stay last Oct. We did 2 studios for us and in laws. And stayed at BWV for 4 nights before moving over to AKV for 3. We booked deluxe DP for in laws room at BWV and used the credits so all 4 of us could go to 3 signature restaurants including for Jiko at AKL on the evening we switched resorts. We checked out of BWV and into AKV and our last credits were still on in laws MB for the Jiko dinner that night. So...we were supposed to use them all before checking into AKV? No online check in?
You only have to use up all dining credits before starting a new dining plan at your next resort. Dining credits are good until midnight of check out day.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Oh my word Goldi, I was on a solo trip this weekend, staying at SSR. Got building 85 in Grandstand, just across from the pool. Did a little Disney dance when I saw the location.
And yes, dogs! There was this senior couple pushing one in a pink mini carriage type stroller with it zipped in that nylon. Pour thing was panting so hard. I'm still kicking myself from not stopping them and getting it out so it could breath.

Too bad I missed you. Could have joined you at TOWL for a drink!
WDWGoof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #8
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
You only have to use up all dining credits before starting a new dining plan at your next resort. Dining credits are good until midnight of check out day.
Ah, okay. Good to know for future. Thanks.

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2018- Oct 5-6 at CCV before Oct 6-14 CCL Horizon Oct 14-15 at HHI and Dec 19-24 at BWV
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #9
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Glad that you had an overall good trip.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:29 PM   #10
The.disney.couple
Studio

Sounds like you had fun! Can't wait to try TOTWL!

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote