home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #11
The.disney.couple
Banned

Ah the standard disney 3 fastpass compensation, Why am I not surprised? lol
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #12
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom

My family was evacuated at 3AM from the Wilderness Lodge about 9 years ago. Firetrucks and lots of activity as we sat on the walls and benches outside the main entrance. About an hour later they let us all return to our rooms. Will always remember our DD and DS yelling at my DH and I for not touching the door before we opened it and being chastised by my DS for not following the evacuation route on the back of the hotel door... The staircase to the right was closer...

The rumor the next day was a kitchen fire.
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #13
ffstreetdoc
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
Were you told to evacuate, or did you do it on your own?
I'm asking because in healthcare we don't evacuate until directed by the fire department. Unless, of course, there's a fire in the immediate area and the sprinkler head is going off..
This is a motel / hotel situation, not healthcare. As a firefighter on a college campus I can tell you. If the alarm goes off, get out until it is confirmed to be a false alarm. Which luckily 99.9% of these become.
ffstreetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:11 PM   #14
dvf_diva
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
Haha that is funny 3 Fastpasses; why do we allow ourselves to be so easily dismissed with Disneys 3 FP Policy. Seriously it is the responsibility of the hotel to deliver a safe night for their paying guests. I think a refund for the entire cost (one night) should be expected. Why are you paying top dollar resort fees for the construction inconveniences and the consequences? This happened at the Grand Californian when it was first built due to excessive dust from construction accumulating within smoke alarms. Another time their smoke alarms went off because of the kitchen smoke/ bacon grease.
The sound of the alarm inside the hotel hotel room is ear piercing painful and the lights become almost laser like creating a memorable migraine experience all day long for me. Three free fast passes is not what one should consider legal compensation from a corporation called Disney.
I had to call accounting but eventually did get monetary refund.
I think this is the right move but Disney won't just offer it. Worth asking for, though.

So while I don't think this happening at 5a is at all pleasant, it is nice to know that the fire alarms do, in fact, work.

Feb 2019 VGF
May 2019 VGF
June 2019 BLT
Aug 2019 Celebrity Eclipse to Alaska
Oct 2019 Disney Magic DVC Member Cruise -- waitlist
Nov 2019 AKL - tentative
Feb 2020 Disney Fantasy - tentative
dvf_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:09 PM   #15
ffstreetdoc
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
Haha that is funny 3 Fastpasses; why do we allow ourselves to be so easily dismissed with Disneys 3 FP Policy. Seriously it is the responsibility of the hotel to deliver a safe night for their paying guests. I think a refund for the entire cost (one night) should be expected. Why are you paying top dollar resort fees for the construction inconveniences and the consequences? This happened at the Grand Californian when it was first built due to excessive dust from construction accumulating within smoke alarms. Another time their smoke alarms went off because of the kitchen smoke/ bacon grease.
The sound of the alarm inside the hotel hotel room is ear piercing painful and the lights become almost laser like creating a memorable migraine experience all day long for me. Three free fast passes is not what one should consider legal compensation from a corporation called Disney.
I had to call accounting but eventually did get monetary refund.
Surely you are kidding! You are saying Disney is 100% responsible for every fire alarm no matter what the cause? Construction can cause dust that can activate the alarm system. If they disable the alarm system to keep the dust from a false alarm disturbing your time then have a fire and the alarm fails to alert guests, resulting in injury or death???

Are they responsible for an idiot that cant cook without burning their food causing an alarm that once again disturbs your precious time????

Can you imagine the liability they would face if they do not provide a fire protection system that gives everyone a chance to survive a real fire. Fire alarms are loud, obnoxious and bright for a reason. To save your life if needed.

Sorry to rant but I have been a full time firefighter for nearly 30 years and have a passion for this. Alarms are in place to save your life. There is NO WAY they will be 100% immune to false alarms. Systems have problems. People make mistakes, People pull alarm boxes just to be obnoxious.

To expect any compensation for your inconvenience an alarm system in place to save your life may have caused you is just ridiculous!!!!

Who do you look to for compensation if your home smoke detector goes off?????

Last edited by ffstreetdoc; 05-24-2018 at 10:11 PM. Reason: edit
ffstreetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:41 PM   #16
grayandry
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffstreetdoc View Post
To expect any compensation for your inconvenience an alarm system in place to save your life may have caused you is just ridiculous!!!!
I’m glad that you said it. I was beginning to think I was the only one thinking that.
grayandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:27 PM   #17
dpayne007
Studio

I was evacuated from the Grand Californian in the middle of the night on December 26th 2004. When the alarm went off at around 4:00am we all thought it was probably a false alarm but as soon as you opened the room door we knew it was real. They walked us right past the giant Christmas tree in the lobby which was completely engulfed in flames. We ended up in the conference center for the night around 6:00am. Disney brought in tons of staff and cooked us all breakfast. We did get a refund for the one night. The rooms stank of smoke when we did get back in around 11:00 am. The lobby was badly damaged and under repair for quite a while after that.
dpayne007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:59 PM   #18
Aurora
Two Bedroom

1999 the alarm went off at 2 am while we were staying at Disney’s Caribbean Beach resort. Our oldest was a baby and there was no getting him back to sleep after that. I still remember the piercing noise that went on for an hour. It was just our room and it took that long for someone to come and disable it. We were all sound asleep and it malfunctioned. We hardly got an “I’m sorry”. We never dreamed of asking for compensation. Stuff happens. That’s life.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:26 AM   #19
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffstreetdoc View Post
Surely you are kidding! You are saying Disney is 100% responsible for every fire alarm no matter what the cause? Construction can cause dust that can activate the alarm system. If they disable the alarm system to keep the dust from a false alarm disturbing your time then have a fire and the alarm fails to alert guests, resulting in injury or death???

Are they responsible for an idiot that cant cook without burning their food causing an alarm that once again disturbs your precious time????

Can you imagine the liability they would face if they do not provide a fire protection system that gives everyone a chance to survive a real fire. Fire alarms are loud, obnoxious and bright for a reason. To save your life if needed.

Sorry to rant but I have been a full time firefighter for nearly 30 years and have a passion for this. Alarms are in place to save your life. There is NO WAY they will be 100% immune to false alarms. Systems have problems. People make mistakes, People pull alarm boxes just to be obnoxious.

Who do you look to for compensation if your home smoke detector goes off?????

Extremely well said. Thank you for your service.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:40 AM   #20
teachmusic
One Bedroom

My DH and I stayed at the Grand Californian the 2nd week of April this year. The fire alarm went off at 11:30-11:45 pm time. No piercing siren, but every room had a voice announcement in English and Spanish instructing everyone to evacuate; we tried to sit on a bench at the next building, but we were told to go out front - then told to go across the drive to a parking lot. Fire trucks arrived along with paramedics - we were finally given the all clear after about 45 minutes; never smelled smoke or anything associated with an actual fire. Just a minor bump in the trip . . .
teachmusic is offline   Reply With Quote