home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
dvf_diva
Grand Villa

Welcome back! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I have to chime in since I was there recently, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
One CM at Launch Bay told us that they were oficially told that Galaxys Edge will open Fall of 2019. I bet that has been announced here somewhere, but I haven't been on for about 10 days, so wasn't sure.
They've announced to Disney Travel Agents that Galaxy's Edge is to open 2019. I have seen no new pictures/renderings or info other than that.

Quote:
When we arrived in Orlando, it was during a deluge, truly, standing water everywhere and pouring as hard as it could and it continued for several hours.
We were there in mid-May and the rain was indeed that bad. My shoes are still not fully dried from walking in the rain for five days in a row. LOL
Sounds like the same tropical storm is still pounding Central FL. I don't usually go in May, so I was surprised by so much rain. It felt like August/September!

Quote:
We were able to get a nice Ford Edge Platinum rental car-leather, navigation, all the bells and whistles, etc. for a reasonable rate and a Costco gift card will be sent to us for the rental which lowers the rate even more.
Nice score! Which rental company, Costco?

Quote:
When we arrived at SSR, it was still pouring really hard, and I let DH out to see if the room was ready even though we had not received a text. We really didn't have anything else we could do with all the rain. He went in and because we have so many Magic Bands, the CM sent him out to get mine just to make sure it would work. And because he sent DH out into the rain, he gave us a $50 credit to the room for the inconvenience.
So sweet of CM!

Quote:
I determined that the easiest place to get to for dinner that night where we might avoid the rain as much as possible was to drive to the Lime garage and take the escalator down to the Polite Pig. First time to eat there for us, and it was very good, especially the ribs. Very little fat and very tasty. When DH went to pay with his Magic Band, it would not work. The CM said it was probably because we had just checked in and were not in the system yet.

Next we went right across the way to the Disney Corner and made a purchase for our Grandson. Again, Magic Band would not work. It kept saying that "the Guest could not be found in the system." So, when we were done in there, we headed back to SSR to the Front Desk again.

The same CM that checked us in was there when we went back and we told him that the Magic Band let us in the room but could not find us to make purchases, he said he had not heard that one before. He had on a Trainer button, so I knew he had been around for a while. His suggestion was that we go to the Gift Shop and make a small purchase and let him see what it said when we went to pay. So, we went and bought a Mickey Bar and an ice cream sandwich. Still no luck with the Magic Band.

Back to the Front Desk, and he worked his magic a little bit, then back to the Gift Shop to try again. This time we got pastries for breakfast in the morning. No luck this time either with the same message.

Back to the Front Desk the three of us go. He talked to a Manager and they decided that the only thing they could do was to cancel the reservation and re-book it as a new one. He disappeared for 30-45 minutes in the back and when he came back, he said, let's go make one more purchase. This time we went and got two Rice Krispie treats and the Magic Bands worked this time.

For all the inconvenience, we got the $50 credit on our account, credit for all the purchases at the Gift Shop, which totaled about $25.00 and another $100 credit on our account. We had not asked for anything, it was all offered, and we never gave him a hard time about any of this. Things happen.

As it turns out, he also added extra Fast Passes to our MDE every day we were there and he also set it up to have daily Mousekeeping. They came in every day and made the beds, replaced the towels, straightened up and ran the dishes. Every day that is except for the last full day there as we were in the room when she came to clean, and I told her it was not necessary as we were leaving the next morning. I have to be honest, while I have never minded the fact that we do not get daily service as DVC members on points, I did truly enjoy having the bed made every day and fresh towels. etc. I have always said if I were rich, I would have fresh bed linens on a daily basis, so this was really nice.
I have Magic Band charging problems all the time, and they have never been this generous. You were really rolling in the pixie dust with nice CMs at SSR. I love how kind they were and that they acknowledged that it was a hassle that the bands were not working for you. They really went above and beyond to bring on the magic for you. See, this is why I enjoy my stays at SSR. I know there are SSR haters, and I get the inconveniences, but the staff is always so lovely.

Quote:
Lunch at Satu'li canteen, which we really enjoyed.
Ditto -- food here was surprisingly good, well flavored and well seasoned.

Quote:
First time in the DVC Member Lounge in EPCOT. Enjoyed the drinks and the rest but never saw the snack lady, even though we were in there about 45 minutes.
Oh yeah, that cart hardly ever comes around. Once, we showed up as the cart had started making it rounds but DS had to go to bathroom, so we left and came right back. Cart did not come out for another full hour, maybe 75 min later.

Quote:
The lions on the Safari were out and posing perfectly. We had never seen them like that before, usually we get their backs, etc.
It was so hot that they needed the AC jets on those rocks! LOL

Quote:
Also, when we left the Safari, right after you walk past that truck on the right hand side, there is a viewing area to the Gorillas, and it is the first time we had actually seen gorillas there, two Silverbacks. They were feeding and then went down to the stream. Never have we seen anything there before.
That's awesome! We never see those Gorillas either!

Thanks for your lovely trip notes and allowing me to relive my visit through your experiences!

Oct 2018 POP/BWV/BLT
Feb 2019 VGF
May 2019 VGF
June 2019 BLT
August 2019 Celebrity Eclipse
October 2019 Disney Magic DVC Member Cruise??
dvf_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:49 AM   #12
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvf_diva View Post
They've announced to Disney Travel Agents that Galaxy's Edge is to open 2019. I have seen no new pictures/renderings or info other than that.
Pretty sure they've announced that to everyone.

Quote:
We were there in mid-May and the rain was indeed that bad. My shoes are still not fully dried from walking in the rain for five days in a row. LOL
Sounds like the same tropical storm is still pounding Central FL. I don't usually go in May, so I was surprised by so much rain. It felt like August/September!
I was there May 8-15, and yes once it started (May 11?) it was a lot of rain every day, though a couple mornings were rain-free. I've never had rain issues in May before. I brought 4 "emergency panchos" and used 3 of them on one day! Then actually bought Disney ponchos for the first time in my life.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #13
dvf_diva
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Then actually bought Disney ponchos for the first time in my life.
What's been your experience thus far with them? All of our ripped at the seams within the hour, the last time we bought them. I felt bad having to go back to the Disney stores and asking for a replacement, but it happened more than once. I wonder if the quality has improved because I saw some really cute looking ones!

To be honest, I've had better luck with my Totes ponchos from a local TJMaxx/Marshall's for about $5. They've lasted multiple trips but definitely are not as cute a Mickey ponchos. LOL

Oct 2018 POP/BWV/BLT
Feb 2019 VGF
May 2019 VGF
June 2019 BLT
August 2019 Celebrity Eclipse
October 2019 Disney Magic DVC Member Cruise??
dvf_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:26 AM   #14
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
What's been your experience thus far with them? All of our ripped at the seams within the hour, the last time we bought them. I felt bad having to go back to the Disney stores and asking for a replacement, but it happened more than once. I wonder if the quality has improved because I saw some really cute looking ones!

To be honest, I've had better luck with my Totes ponchos from a local TJMaxx/Marshall's for about $5. They've lasted multiple trips but definitely are not as cute a Mickey ponchos. LOL
Even in the short time I used one of them, the "snaps" on the left came apart, so it was open on my left side and I had trouble keeping it on. Pretty shoddy for $10. One way or another I will bring a higher quality poncho next time.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #15
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Even in the short time I used one of them, the "snaps" on the left came apart, so it was open on my left side and I had trouble keeping it on. Pretty shoddy for $10. One way or another I will bring a higher quality poncho next time.
Donít bother with the umbrellas either. We bought two at AKL because it started raining and we had plans to be at Epcot. Before I got from the bus to the bag check at Epcot, my umbrella had already torn, and the strap broke off of Emilyís. When we got back from the park that night I took them back to the gift shop, and they promptly refunded my money. No complaints about the customer service, just the sub-par product.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #16
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Great summary and thank you for sharing.

We were also there 5/11-18. First time we ever experienced so much rain. BCV had to be evacuated one late afternoon. The thunderstorms and lightning were so bad, it set off the fire alarm (we were staying at BWV). We could not get to Blue Zoo one evening. We waited, stopped, took a chance and got caught in the downpour. We made the best of it with ponchos and umbrella.

Glad the CMs compensated you for your troubles.
May 2019 - OKW

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote