home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-18-2020, 12:47 AM   #291
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

I made the decision to give up all hope and I have cancelled all the remaining weekend stays at the VGC between now and December. I guess if DL opens and we decide we want to go the Hyatt Orange County will be getting my business. I did keep my January reservation -- can't give up all hope!

My family has shifted to a Christmas visit to Aulani. My daughter has been begging DH and I to take her there for her 18th birthday, which we'll celebrate on 12/28. Hopefully, this trip will happen, I've got a lot of points at stake that I'm trying to use, and I'm on board with using them in Hawaii over Florida. My elderly mother is joining us too on this trip. She's decided it might be the last time she has a chance to visit Hawaii, and she wants to go one last time in her lifetime. I'm hoping all goes well

Where I'm Going 2020:
All Personal Travel is Under Construction
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:45 AM   #292
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
I made the decision to give up all hope and I have cancelled all the remaining weekend stays at the VGC between now and December. I guess if DL opens and we decide we want to go the Hyatt Orange County will be getting my business. I did keep my January reservation -- can't give up all hope!

My family has shifted to a Christmas visit to Aulani. My daughter has been begging DH and I to take her there for her 18th birthday, which we'll celebrate on 12/28. Hopefully, this trip will happen, I've got a lot of points at stake that I'm trying to use, and I'm on board with using them in Hawaii over Florida. My elderly mother is joining us too on this trip. She's decided it might be the last time she has a chance to visit Hawaii, and she wants to go one last time in her lifetime. I'm hoping all goes well
I hope it happens. 💞💞
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #293
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:

Family and Hawaii, I know it's not Disney, but it sounds like it could be a very great trip! Especially with celebrating a birthday and going with a family member with a passion for Hawaii. Fingers crossed it all comes together with no more grief!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #294
heathpack
Studio

Quote:

Nice consolation prize.

Member DVC Hilton Head Island & Villas at Grand Californian
Hyatt Residence Club High Sierra Lodge, Tahoe
Hyatt Residence Club Highlands Inn, Carmel CA
Marriott Vacation Club Barony Beach Resort,Hilton Head
Marriott Vacation Club Mountainside, Park City
Vistana Signature Network Broadway Plantation, Myrtle Beach
heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #295
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyorelover22 View Post
I hope it happens. ����
Thank you for the good vibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Family and Hawaii, I know it's not Disney, but it sounds like it could be a very great trip! Especially with celebrating a birthday and going with a family member with a passion for Hawaii. Fingers crossed it all comes together with no more grief!

Dirk
I just hope everyone remains healthy! If my mom gets the virus I think my three brothers will kill me!

I feel like I'm chasing my tail in circles to use up these stupid points. I just have way too many given the current circumstances with the virus. Definitely feeling like I need to downsize -- right now I envy you and Jim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathpack View Post
Nice consolation prize.
Yes, I agree! I did a complete 180 on going to Hawaii. If Disneyland had opened we probably wouldn't be taking this trip, but all the cancellations at DL & VGC it started to add up and created major point issue for me. I'm not counting on DVC extending points for VGC owners.

There is still a fair amount of availability for 2 bdrms at Aulani, and I was able to piece together a stay with only one room change. Hoping that my 2 wait lists fill. One wait list will eliminate a room change. My second wait list is for NYE -- not feeling hopeful that will fill, so we need to make a backup plan if we decide to stay through to 1/1.

Where I'm Going 2020:
All Personal Travel is Under Construction

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 10-18-2020 at 12:41 PM. Reason: clarification
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #296
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsNiners11 View Post
I think what people often forget is that we donít really have contact tracing set up and likely never will to the extent that it is needed. Basic logic tells us there have been Disney World covid-19 spreads as well as the flights and transportation involved. Without contact tracing, Disney and the various states involved get what they want which is not tracing it back to them. Without proper contact tracing, we all get to live in ignorance and blissfully go about our lives or vacations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I fully agree on contact tracing, and suspect a more robust program would tilt the bar even further towards Disney reopening.

The interesting things we're seeing here in NJ is that spread isn't really a problem at stores, schools, or even restaurants. They have incidents, sure, but they are very local and quickly contained. The spread is happening when people let their guard down and have parties at home or gather for holiday events and disregard the rules.

If anything, I'm even more convinced that masking and social distancing go a very long way in keeping COVID manageable. I have no doubt there have been incidents at WDW, but it was probably spread from cast to cast or within a guest's group bubble since interactions between guest and CM are transient and minimal.

The number in Florida kept declining, even in Orange County, until about a week after the state decided everything could be open and capacity could be increased. Now, rates are soaring. Disney didn't take the bait and kept things the same, so they're probably an island in the storm. I only hope the storm doesn't overwhelm the island, or else California will have all it needs to say "See, it won't work out here."

Never have I been happier to have no financial entanglement with Disney than right now. I fear a bad winter and the whole enterprise falls apart.

Dirk
No question, in my mind, that tracing is horribly inadequate. And I agree that there are likely cases that can be traced back trips to Disney. The key, however, is that no major outbreaks or increases in widespread infection can be traced to Disney.

I am not sure that any operating location could suggest that they have had no cases that were transmitted on their premises. With the lack of tracing, that's a comment one simply would not be able to defend. The lack of any significant outbreaks, however, is what gives people the confidence to travel.

Frankly, at the moment, I'd feel a lot safer at WDW than I do with my kids in school and my wife at work (hospital RN) in Wisconsin!
Old 10-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #297
heathpack
Studio

Quote:
Thank you for the good vibes

I just hope everyone remains healthy! If my mom gets the virus I think my three brothers will kill me!

I feel like I'm chasing my tail in circles to use up these stupid points. I just have way too many given the current circumstances with the virus. Definitely feeling like I need to downsize -- right now I envy you and Jim!

Yes, I agree! I did a complete 180 on going to Hawaii. If Disneyland had opened we probably wouldn't be taking this trip, but all the cancellations at DL & VGC it started to add up and created major point issue for me. I'm not counting on DVC extending points for VGC owners.

There is still a fair amount of availability for 2 bdrms at Aulani, and I was able to piece together a stay with only one room change. Hoping that my 2 wait lists fill. One wait list will eliminate a room change. My second wait list is for NYE -- not feeling hopeful that will fill, so we need to make a backup plan if we decide to stay through to 1/1.
We’ve taken a few timeshare and AirBnB trips since July- Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Bryce/Park City and Moab/Sedona. All good locations for outdoor activity and social distancing. I think Aulani can similarly be a good choice- you can be outdoors all day long or in your own condo with the fam. It’s a nice choice.

I hope it goes ok with the travel and quarantine dealios. It’s been such a constantly moving target, and it requires the patience of Job at times.

Worst case scenario, you can always deposit into RCI, I think. Not tons of great exchanges for you there, but there’s a few hidden gems. Could salvage some value from your points, if it comes to that.

Member DVC Hilton Head Island & Villas at Grand Californian
Hyatt Residence Club High Sierra Lodge, Tahoe
Hyatt Residence Club Highlands Inn, Carmel CA
Marriott Vacation Club Barony Beach Resort,Hilton Head
Marriott Vacation Club Mountainside, Park City
Vistana Signature Network Broadway Plantation, Myrtle Beach
heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #298
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
All I can say is there is freedom in not seeing a monthly debit to my account and in knowing we can vacation literally anywhere, including any flavor of Disney.

Now if we could just get rid of this COVID thingy so we can actually vacation literally anywhere, including any flavor of Disney!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #299
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Quote:

You should probably start looking at testing availability sooner than later. I am going in two weeks and testing availability is still pretty limited. Many of the approved providers don't have any appointments available. Also, you can only make appointments online and you have do one appointment per person, even if everyone in your car is getting tested.

In addition, there is pretty much no rapid testing available for asymptomatic people. Regular testing can take 2-5 business days. If you land without a negative result you won't be able to rent a car and will need to quarantine in your room. No pool, no beach, no restaurants.

It is pretty frustrating. I'm flying United and will probably just go with the rapid testing available at the airport for $250/person.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:53 PM   #300
Joeli
Grand Villa

Update coming...

https://deadline.com/2020/10/disneyl...ia-1234599805/

Upcoming:
2021 (Mar - BWV, May - PVB, Jul - DCL Fantasy)
2020 (Nov - PVB, Dec/Jan - PVB/BWV)

Done:
2020 (Jan, Mar, Mar/Apr/May/May/Jun, Sept, Aug, Oct) - Swan, PVB, PVB/PVB/AKV/AKV/PVB, DCL Fantasy - (COVID-19 BOO), BCV, BWV)
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sept, Oct, Dec) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan, BWV, BLT, BWV, RCCL - Allure of the Seas
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Lion King/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote