home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #11
dvf_diva
Grand Villa

Its also a new feature on the United Mileage Plus card -- rebate up to $100 to cover TSA Precheck or Global Entry. I'm heading to my Precheck interview in a few min. I wonder how long it takes to process; we fly next Thursday. I was just hoping to have it for July trip but it would be amazing for next week, too.

June 2018 VGF
July 2018 SSR/Dream
Oct 2018 BWV/BLT
Feb 2019 BLT&VGF
dvf_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
For those living close to the Canadian border, Nexus is a better deal than TSA precheck or Global Entry. It is only $50, and includes free GE and TSA-PC.

Getting into Canada at popular border xings can be incredibly long... sometimes hours. I-5 on the west coast is one such border. I’ve never had more than a couple of cars ahead of me in the Nexus line.

There is also a program for Mexico... I think Sentri or something like that. I do not know anything about it.

/Jim
Link to various Trusted Traveller Programs: https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-programs

From the descriptions linked above I figured that Nexus did not include GE? Of course the line item "Expedited processing into U.S. or Canada following an international flight" could be identical to the GE process ... ?
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #13
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvf_diva View Post
Its also a new feature on the United Mileage Plus card -- rebate up to $100 to cover TSA Precheck or Global Entry. I'm heading to my Precheck interview in a few min. I wonder how long it takes to process; we fly next Thursday. I was just hoping to have it for July trip but it would be amazing for next week, too.
My husband received his final approval (interview) a few weeks back. It did NOT help his domestic air travel the week following. Even though he immediately updated his airline profile to include his Known Traveller ID, his boarding pass did not show TSA-Pre. So ... he went through the long line again.

I expect he'll receive his ID card in today's mail run ... but we'll see.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
JimP
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
Link to various Trusted Traveller Programs: https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-programs

From the descriptions linked above I figured that Nexus did not include GE? Of course the line item "Expedited processing into U.S. or Canada following an international flight" could be identical to the GE process ... ?
When we first signed up (back in Sept 10 when Jenn went to UBC for her masters), Global Entry was a $25 add-on. Before our cards arrived, we got a letter that GE had become complimentary. 😀

We use all 3. In order of benefit based on our travel patterns, I would rank them as:
  1. TSA Precheck
  2. Nexus
  3. Global Entry

/Jim

Look Dad, they're building a new one!!!
Quote (in jest) by: DS, DD#1, DD#2, Circa 2003

Annual pass holders since 1989
Click here to visit my family website
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #15
dvf_diva
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
My husband received his final approval (interview) a few weeks back. It did NOT help his domestic air travel the week following. Even though he immediately updated his airline profile to include his Known Traveller ID, his boarding pass did not show TSA-Pre. So ... he went through the long line again.

I expect he'll receive his ID card in today's mail run ... but we'll see.
Thanks for sharing your experience! She told me today that it would take about 30 days, and then I would have to update all my flight reservations with the Known Traveller ID and make sure that matches with the name on my tickets.

June 2018 VGF
July 2018 SSR/Dream
Oct 2018 BWV/BLT
Feb 2019 BLT&VGF
dvf_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #16
JimP
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvf_diva View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience! She told me today that it would take about 30 days, and then I would have to update all my flight reservations with the Known Traveller ID and make sure that matches with the name on my tickets.
When the name paranoia set in a few years back, my drivers license had a middle initial, but my passport had my middle name. I got my my Nexus/GE/TSA with my full name, then updated my drivers license to match.

:Jim

Look Dad, they're building a new one!!!
Quote (in jest) by: DS, DD#1, DD#2, Circa 2003

Annual pass holders since 1989
Click here to visit my family website
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote