home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #21
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
No no no! We are in the middle of a “harsh” winter down here for us. We’re used to highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s this time of year. All of this highs in the 30s and 40s and lows in the 20s and 30s is killing us. We aren’t used to this and aren’t acclimated at all!!! On Tuesday this coming week it’ll be super cold again with possible snow. Snow...Yay! Low to mid 20s...sooo cold! I’m going to put on another coat just thinking about it! It also kills a lot of our plants because it’s a lot colder than it is supposed to be. Our banana tree bit it. We literally have to wrap our lemon tree and put a heat lamp on it. I cannot lose it again! I love lemons!
My little baby lime tree may have bit it here in NC. It was potted and outside but I actually brought it in and sat it in a window while we were at WDW. Came home and the leaves are all dried and shriveled up. Just got it in July.

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2018- May 15-19 at HHI, Oct 5-6 at CCV before Oct 6-14 CCL Horizon
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS and March 3-6 at BWV & 6-9 at ???
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:18 PM   #22
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
My kids are 4 and 6 and high maintenance. Their intelligence is 99% a blessing and 1% very difficult to manage. :/ I am thankful for it, but it is exhausting as well. My juvenile inquisitive nature is 100% in my son, and I now see why my parents got so tired of answering questions all the time. Bless them!.
Lol I get that. It gets better at least. I can just give my son a look if he starts asking too much. He now can Google and too.

With kids that age, I'd do March. Better chances good weather. While we were cold last year, it wasn't as bad as a couple winter cold snaps we've come across.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:31 PM   #23
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Spring break vs Easter break. They are two different times. With Easter being late, then you will not be dealing with two breaks going on at once. Most with school age children go over Easter. Most Spring breaks are geared to college kids and they are not going in masses to Ďpartyí at Disney.
January, I have been there the end into the begining of February and the weather was fine. We had one day that was chilly jeans and sweatshirts. But I am from the NE so yes when the fridgid cold went to the forties the other day. My winter jacket was unzipped and it was almost feeling balmy, lol.
January can be iffy especially the beginning. This year was extremely unusual and they had one week of winter 1-1-18 / 1-7-18. Though I follow local weather pages and it looks like they may be dipping again in temps.
I saw a picture during marathon week of the back up of cars that some were saying was worse than Christmas week. I am not a fan of all these marathons that took what once was a nice time before or after the busy times and has made wdw a madhouse. Gone are the days you can decide to book a few days in early January and get a reservation unless you are online first thing in the morning, eleven months out.
Iíve been twice the first couple of weeks in March. That was many years ago, over twenty. We were there the week before Easter and left the Monday after Palm Sunday, when most are coming in for Easter week. It wasnít crowded to a extreme. Of course once we started going the first week of December anything seems crowded. Though I heard now thatís not exactly how it is.
We had beautiful weather both times we went in early March.
I would say go for March. Everything I have been reading marathon week has just gotten to big and itís too crowded. Add in the weather is definately a crap shoot in early January. You mentioned Flu season.spend the extra points and hope for good weather.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:38 PM   #24
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

We've stayed both months on multiple occasions, and I would recommend March for the weather alone. There have been times in January where the kids would use the pools (not because it was warm, but because they love the Keister Coaster and the Volcano Pool), but we have also been there when the pools were closed due to the cold. I love Easter at WDW, and it sounds like you will be there well before then to possibly avoid heavier crowds. My vote would be to spend the extra points!
2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; PVB; VGF; PVB; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ AS; 1980s ~ FW, Cont.
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:52 PM   #25
EeyoreLover
Studio

Another vote for March rather than January. My husband and I have taken a trip the first week in January the past 3 years and this year we are here the 2nd week of January (leaving on Monday the 15th). The parks have been very crowded this week -- seems like they are as crowded as what we experienced the 1st week of January during marathon week the past 3 years -- and the weather is very unpredictable this time of year. The high temp was 80 earlier this week but the high today was only 60 -- and the temp is supposed to drop to 40 degrees by tomorrow morning.

We have also made several trips in March the past few years (generally from about March 3rd -9th) and the weather and crowds were much nicer than January. So, if you can afford the higher points, I would recommend March.
EeyoreLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:36 AM   #26
pdude81
Grand Villa

I just went starting marathon weekend through wednesday of the the next week. It was really nice not to fry like we did in our August trip, but temps in the 30s make for a really weird theme park trip. If points are no object, I don't see the crowds at/around new years to be that much lower than spring break so I would go in april or whenever yours is. The weather should be really nice and you can spend some time in pools or at resorts after you're done with the morning rush and head back in when the crowds start to wane.

If points are an issue or anyone in the family wants to run one of the races, then of course January makes more sense. My wife works in a school so we are closely tied to the school breaks as well.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:27 AM   #27
jrm1504
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
My little baby lime tree may have bit it here in NC. It was potted and outside but I actually brought it in and sat it in a window while we were at WDW. Came home and the leaves are all dried and shriveled up. Just got it in July.
Get a knife and make a small cut into the bark...if it looks bright green, it is fine. If it looks discolored (brownish tint) your tree suffered some winter injury. If it is injured, prune it aggressively; probably in the 6-12in above the bud union range. Kill it or cure it.
2007 DW All Star Sports
2011 DW Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 DW Dolphin
2013 DW BCV (our wedding)
2015 DW BLT (son's 1st b'day)
2015 VWL
2016 DL Grand Cal
2018 BLT and BWV

jrm1504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #28
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm1504 View Post
Get a knife and make a small cut into the bark...if it looks bright green, it is fine. If it looks discolored (brownish tint) your tree suffered some winter injury. If it is injured, prune it aggressively; probably in the 6-12in above the bud union range. Kill it or cure it.
Thank you so much. Off to check now.

Edit to add...still green. Yay!

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2018- May 15-19 at HHI, Oct 5-6 at CCV before Oct 6-14 CCL Horizon
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS and March 3-6 at BWV & 6-9 at ???

Last edited by Lamima; 01-14-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #29
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Don't know how DVC-er's with young kids manage any part of January with the holidays - guess I'm just low energy .

This will be the send year in a row we'll do the end of January and I am not looking forward to the dis-decorating but I do enjoy the weather - any excuse not to pack a bathing suit . My idea of sitting by the pool is the pool bar
Old 01-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #30
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Smile Spring break for better weather

My vote is spring break for warmer weather.

But we are a in the pool family.

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote