home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #61
Boundin'
Grand Villa

DME is supposed to leave 30 minutes after the first guest boards the bus, maximum.

Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...

5/2018 BLT-Fantasy-BWV Eastern Carib
9/2018 BLT-Dream-BCV Halloween on the High Seas
BLT-BCV 12/2018 Another New Year
5/2019 ? - Fantasy - ? Western Carib

Home resorts BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #62
cali09
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
Don't mind being on the bus with multi pre-stops as much as I mind standing at the airport watching bus after bus load resorts with us just standing there waiting to be called.
THIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
DME is supposed to leave 30 minutes after the first guest boards the bus, maximum.
Quoted both since it seems they are having guests standing in line in the airport waiting to board for sometimes up to 20 minutes which means they aren't starting the "30 minutes after the first guest boards" timer until then.

Which means you can stand in the airport for 20 minutes, then be the first to board and wait up to another 30 minutes. Then add the drive time of at least 40 minutes depending on the resort and order they drop off.

Granted, this is a worst case scenario, but it has happened to us more than once.

Given that the time to grab a Lyft and then drive to WDW is around 50 minutes, we ditched MDE last December. And then ditched it again on the return to MCO when they told us they had changed the pick up time to 4 hours prior to your flight.

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #63
ajc
Two Bedroom

I get the impatience of some (especially with kids) but my "vacation" starts when I board the plane to MCO; everything prior is stressful, but I know DME is going to get me to my destination in comfort and fun trivia on screen to boot with no need to worry about where to turn, tolls, traffic, etc.
Calm down people this is vacation time we are talking about.
Even with the longer time back to MCO you are still on vacation, but I get that we are robbed of an hour to enjoy the bubble a little longer...
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #64
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread4 View Post
thx for the tip- will check them out too for comparison.
Also used Instacart for our last trip at the advice of fellow MO's (Thanks, helenabear!). Great experience and reasonably priced. We will definitelty use the service again!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #65
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali09 View Post
Quoted both since it seems they are having guests standing in line in the airport waiting to board for sometimes up to 20 minutes which means they aren't starting the "30 minutes after the first guest boards" timer until then.

Which means you can stand in the airport for 20 minutes, then be the first to board and wait up to another 30 minutes. Then add the drive time of at least 40 minutes depending on the resort and order they drop off.

Granted, this is a worst case scenario, but it has happened to us more than once.

Given that the time to grab a Lyft and then drive to WDW is around 50 minutes, we ditched MDE last December. And then ditched it again on the return to MCO when they told us they had changed the pick up time to 4 hours prior to your flight.
Actually we had an even worse case scenario. It took us just shy of 3 hours to get from MCO to our resort (BCV at the time). We were in line forever it seemed and were the last to drop off. While it usually only takes about 30 minutes or less to drive from the airport the ME buses go quite slow. I want to say the drive alone being the last stop we had to be riding for an hour or so. Then the wait in line then...

that was my last time using ME. Not to mention the wait in line was awful (super humid in the airport). We had an infant at the time with us. We said never again after that. My first time was great though and took just over an hour to get there. So it can be good but I don't like the gamble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
I get the impatience of some (especially with kids) but my "vacation" starts when I board the plane to MCO; everything prior is stressful, but I know DME is going to get me to my destination in comfort and fun trivia on screen to boot with no need to worry about where to turn, tolls, traffic, etc.
Even with the longer time back to MCO you are still on vacation, but I get that we are robbed of an hour to enjoy the bubble a little longer...
Not sure why it matters if we don't want to ride it or not. It's not about patience for me, it's about comfort as you mentioned, but nothing about our last trip on ME was comfortable.

I also felt much safer traveling with a car seat which ME doesn't allow the use of so it worked for us. We prefer renting a car or hiring a car service. My money pays for things I enjoy and comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Also used Instacart for our last trip at the advice of fellow MO's (Thanks, helenabear!). Great experience and reasonably priced. We will definitelty use the service again!
Woo hoo! We're huge fans too! I might even ditch a town car and just hire a car service since we had such good luck.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #66
cali09
One Bedroom

Quote:
This is your perspective, which is fine to share. But the bolded sentences that label another's perspective as "impatience" and then telling others they "need to calm down" is not okay.

My perspective is that my vacation begins when I am done with the stress and waiting of travel. Poor levels of guest service is my issue, ymmv. You may not feel DME provides a poor level of service. But others do, and expressing that is fine to share as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Not sure why it matters if we don't want to ride it or not. It's not about patience for me, it's about comfort as you mentioned, but nothing about our last trip on ME was comfortable.

I also felt much safer traveling with a car seat which ME doesn't allow the use of so it worked for us. We prefer renting a car or hiring a car service. My money pays for things I enjoy and comfort.
and well said. No service, even if "free" or built into the cost of your room, is enjoyable or comfortable when having to wait 3 hours to use it after traveling for several hours already (or almost all day in our case).

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #67
ajc
Two Bedroom

Quote:
This is your perspective, which is fine to share. But the bolded sentences that label another's perspective as "impatience" and then telling others they "need to calm down" is not okay.

My perspective is that my vacation begins when I am done with the stress and waiting of travel. Poor levels of guest service is my issue, ymmv. You may not feel DME provides a poor level of service. But others do, and expressing that is fine to share as well.

and well said. No service, even if "free" or built into the cost of your room, is enjoyable or comfortable when having to wait 3 hours to use it after traveling for several hours already (or almost all day in our case).
I wasn't trying to be judgmental and your choices are your prerogative so just select what makes you happy and forget others opinion;
I am truly sorry if I offended anyone ;
I was just pointing out my perspective is to sit back and enjoy the ride; I now realize for others the ride is torture.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #68
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I wasn't trying to be judgmental and your choices are your prerogative so just select what makes you happy and forget others opinion;
I am truly sorry if I offended anyone ;
I was just pointing out my perspective is to sit back and enjoy the ride; I now realize for others the ride is torture.
It's all good. sometimes text is hard to read and I can see you weren't trying to be judgmental on it.

We all do what we like best. For me it's town car or rental car. Others like ME. Neither is right or wrong but what you like best.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #69
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:

Once we’re on property, the vacation starts. Too much outside influence before that...

and MNSSHP!

NOV 2005 Grand Floridian (cash) - engagement!
FEB 2007 Port Orleans Riverside (cash)
APR 2009 Polynesian (cash)
! New DVC Owners !
JUN 2011 Contemporary (cash)
OCT 2011 Contemporary (cash) - MNSSHP
OCT 2013 BLT/VGF opening day
MAY 2014 BLT
OCT 2014 BLT - MNSSHP
MAY 2016 AKV - MK After-Hours
AUG 2016 VGF
OCT 2016 BLT -MNSSHP
APR 2017 OKW
OCT 2017 VGF - MNSSHP
DEC 2017 BLT
APR 2018 Coronado Springs (cash)
SEP 2018 BCV
OCT 2018 CCV -MNSSHP

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #70
ajc
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
It's all good. sometimes text is hard to read and I can see you weren't trying to be judgmental on it.

We all do what we like best. For me it's town car or rental car. Others like ME. Neither is right or wrong but what you like best.

thanks for understanding.