home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #41
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Is it as good as dead since Disney denies plans to kill it?
https://www.local10.com/theme-parks/...onorail-system
Old 01-12-2018, 11:17 PM   #42
Caren90
Two Bedroom

Two words for everyone:

Jet Packs.

Stephen
Caren90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #43
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
Is it as good as dead since Disney denies plans to kill it?
https://www.local10.com/theme-parks/...onorail-system
Killing the monorail would be a huge black eye. Killing a guest by falling through an open door on a monorail would be a huge black eye. I wonder which black eye they'll go for? Or will they actually repair the system?

I think there are rumors that of a potential resort on the Epcot monorail line (not the same as the rumored Epcot resort), so maybe they plan on funding improvements/updates by developing the route and are just using bubble gum in the mean time.

Dirk
Old 01-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #44
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post

Also could they please connect all the monorail resorts via a walking path. I think it would be well worth the investment. Many would use it. I know I would.
and they could sell bricks to pay for this
Old 01-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #45
carolina_yankee
Administrator

There is some speculation (strictly speculation) that the Epcot line would be the line to be shut down with the resort and express lines kept open, using parts from the Epcot line to keep functioning.

I don't think that's likely, but it does show the importance of the MK loops.

First, you have to be able to get tons of people from the parking lots to the MK quickly and easily.

Second, you have to be able to get people from the MK resorts to the MK quickly and easily. There is not enough boat capacity to do that, and combing resort and express lines into one line means there would be no seating room for resort guests ever. Or even room, period!

Third, the MK resorts depend on the monorail to serve as an extended dining and shopping venue for the MK resort guests.

I think shutting down the monorail would be lunacy. Perhaps they could replace it with another equally efficient and attractive form of transportation, but not without heavy infrastructure costs, so I'm skeptical. Might as well just keep what you have going. It's part of your historical charm, after all.

Dirk
Old 01-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #46
flypwm
Two Bedroom

I doubt they'll shut down the monorail. At some point they need to eat the costs and fix/upgrade. It's iconic and part of WDW - it'd be like tearing down Spaceship Earth. It would signal that WDW is past its peak, and in decline.

Disney Parks is doing what, $3B a year in operating income? They can fix the monorail before beginning to tank the brand. By that I don't mean that the monorail alone would tank the brand, but it'd be a big seed in the snowball.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #47
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Life expectancy is my guess. I just know younger bridges that fall apart without upkeep. I don't recall any major patch or replacement work on the beams. Concrete weakens over time. Something will surely have to be done at some point. Maybe they can replace individual beams rather quickly as needed, but what about the supports?

I personally can't imagine a Walt Disney World without the monorail system. At some point, they will have to replace the trains and get on with it.

Dirk
Gotcha. Was curious if that was a 'known fact' or something. Yes things do weaken over time and I don't disagree that some things will need to be patched or 'fixed' of sorts. I also don't want to guess how easy/hard it is to repair or replace. But good things to think about.

Can you imagine staying at GF and not having a monorail? Bye bye flagship status. Sure you can be right next to MK but you may have to bus to get there! I mean if you are lucky you can get on the tiny boat but not all can so bus for you!

I'm not sure they'd want to shut down the Epcot line either. Though it is newer by about 10 years than the MK line.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #48
MagicJourneys
One Bedroom

If Disney is not going to maintain the monorails, I wish they would at least devise a way for people to be able to walk between GF and MK.
MagicJourneys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #49
flypwm
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJourneys View Post
If Disney is not going to maintain the monorails, I wish they would at least devise a way for people to be able to walk between GF and MK.
My solution to that is to lease this land:

https://goo.gl/maps/Krgi5H7CLSy

To a 3rd party, with the requirement that they build a hotel and the walking path connecting the GF, the new property and MK. Brand it as Disney, but try and get someone like Four Seasons involved in the project to build and operate the hotel. Make it the new flagship, right next to MK. Disney actually sucks at what it calls its upper end hotels, so this could fix a number of issues.

Of course, Disney might be holding that land for park expansion, or its not buildable, I have no idea.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #50
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
There is some speculation (strictly speculation) that the Epcot line would be the line to be shut down with the resort and express lines kept open, using parts from the Epcot line to keep functioning.

I don't think that's likely, but it does show the importance of the MK loops.

First, you have to be able to get tons of people from the parking lots to the MK quickly and easily.

Second, you have to be able to get people from the MK resorts to the MK quickly and easily. There is not enough boat capacity to do that, and combing resort and express lines into one line means there would be no seating room for resort guests ever. Or even room, period!

Third, the MK resorts depend on the monorail to serve as an extended dining and shopping venue for the MK resort guests.

I think shutting down the monorail would be lunacy. Perhaps they could replace it with another equally efficient and attractive form of transportation, but not without heavy infrastructure costs, so I'm skeptical. Might as well just keep what you have going. It's part of your historical charm, after all.

Dirk
Agreed....The MK monorail system will remain.....needs to remain.