home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #1
snowrob
Studio

Default Oct 16-23 Disney World Brothers Trip

Two of my three brothers made it out to Disneyworld for our October 16-23 trip. I don't usually write trip reports, but I figured with the state of everything this may be helpful to someone.

We started our trip flying into MCO - Overall the direct flights out of Seattle were great and the planes were maybe 30-40% full. One tip is that if you don't want to sit next to anybody fly Alaska or Delta and pick anything other than comfort+ seats. We grabbed three seats in the back half of the plane and had a couple rows in front and behind for both flights. The comfort+ seats were all filled up as I assume anyone with status got upgraded. The three of us each ended up with our own row. Masks on the flight were pretty easy, and it seemed like everyone complied. Orlando airport didn't seem too busy and the few folks that were of the anti-mask type, but they had plenty of space to go their own way.

At the airport we decided to get a rental car and fortunately we had enterprise. Both Avis and Budget had what looked like hour long lines to pickup a car. I've had this with Alamo before, but I could see folks getting irritated waiting in line.

Disneyworld - I'll summer up all of the days together and just talk about the parks and resort.

Boardwalk - We had a room at the boardwalk and everything was really clean. The room was ready before we even got there which never seems to be the case. We didn't swim, but both pools are open minus the slide. The boardwalk itself was quiet and not like its normal busy self. Most guests complied with the face coverings with the few exceptions of a few old guys (not sure why this was a trend, but older gentlemen seemed to be the worst offenders). Overall a great hotel and location, but if I had to re-pick I'd go with the Polynesian. I'm usually not the biggest Poly fan, but for whatever reason when we went to the lounge this trip and just took a couple hour break I was really impressed with how relaxing the atmosphere was while maintaining that sort of escape into the Disney bubble. Poly still had the Disney charm that I almost felt like Boardwalk was missing.

Hollywood Studios - We went here twice and made the rise of the resistance ride once (That one goes fast - be prepared). One of the days was manageable with the other day having wait times that felt like the Hollidays all over again. I'll just say this - If your intent is to go to Disneyworld for low wait times and your banking on all the new Hollywood studio rides I would lower you expectations. This place was packed! Luckily they had awesome beer at the Tap House with reasonable prices and plenty of space outside. We did go to the Cantina and its really neat and all, but avoid the food.

Epcot - We went during the weekday and the rides had long waits, but we went mainly for the booze and food. Overall this was great with lower crowds and not a whole lot of people. Given it did rain a lot, but I'm from the Northwest so it didn't bug me.

Magic Kingdom - Ride wait times were good (15-20 min wait for Space Mt). Be Our Guest was good and not too crowded. Not much else to say here other than it seemed like the park with the least compliance towards masks and being able to socially distance. This was also a very warm day with high humidity, and I'll say it isn't all that comfortable wearing a mask in Florida heat.

Animal Kingdom - Got to make it to all the rides with time to spare to head over to the Nomand Lounge. What more could you ask for.

Overall a great trip, but I probably won't be doing another one for some time. The masks aren't great in the heat and a lot of the charm is missing. The parks seem to be getting busier, and I worry that once they all start hitting the 25% capacity things will be pretty unbearable. Fast passes or a better virtual queuing system is a must. Lots of things are closed, and I guess you never really realize how much everything works together to give you that sorta magical experience. It felt like the magic just wasn't there.

A couple of other things
1. We got to Hollywood Studios early (rope drop to get in ~9:30) and were able to get onto smugglers run before the park opened. Rode it twice before opening. After that it maintained a 60-90 min wait throughout the day.
2. Wait times were often wrong - We had 30 min waits that took 10 and 60 min waits take 40. Only once did the wait time exceed the posted standby time.
3. One cool thing is that on say Smuggler runs you get the whole simulator to your party.

Good trip weird times.
snowrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Thanks for sharing the TR. Glad you and your brothers had a great trip. even with the changes. We're went in Oct, and going back for Thanksgiving.
So glad to read again that most wait times are inflated. hoping to convince DH and kids of this, so they won't be so dissuaded by the posted wait times.
We skipped MK in Oct, so looking forward to it for Nov. I agree w HS.BUSY!
Thanks again for sharing the fun and info!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:36 PM   #3
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks for the summary! Different experience for sure, but glad you enjoyed.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:47 AM   #4
sawickipedia
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrob View Post
We started our trip flying into MCO - Overall the direct flights out of Seattle were great and the planes were maybe 30-40% full. One tip is that if you don't want to sit next to anybody fly Alaska or Delta and pick anything other than comfort+ seats.
Hello neighbor! We're in Washington are you from - I'm over in Seattle (Ballard).
sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:12 AM   #5
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Glad to see you guys had a great time.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
snowrob
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickipedia View Post
Hello neighbor! We're in Washington are you from - I'm over in Seattle (Ballard).
I'm up in the San Juans - One of my brothers is down in Seattle (your neck of the woods).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Thanks for the summary! Different experience for sure, but glad you enjoyed.
Yea different for sure. The trip was a blast, but with word of the smaller crowds I feel like its only going to get busier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Glad to see you guys had a great time.
Thank you - yea overall it was a fun time.
snowrob is offline   Reply With Quote