home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #11
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Excellent summary, my good sir. Thanks for sharing. Almost feels like I was there...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #12
Sarco11
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
We just got back from a short birthday trip for our grandsons. This was our third trip to Disney World in 7 weeks. Its amazing seeing the transformation over from the first trip to the last trip, on how WDW is returning to normal.

First of all, CM's everywhere are super fantastic. There was not a CM anyplace we went that was not happy to see guests and grateful to be back working. This pandemic is has been hard on them and continues to do so everyday. They may be working, but they all have co-workers/friends that are not.

We arrived Wednesday around 5:30pm. We had an Uber take us to the resort. We were staying at Grand Floridian Villas. We did not want to deal with four stops and GFV being last. Our trip two weeks ago, we were at the Poly and it took 1.5 hours on DME to get dropped off. It was well worth the extra cost, traveling with two young boys.

Our plans for the first day was check-in to the room, go to the pool and get our groceries when they arrived between 6-8pm. We tried Amazon for our groceries this trip. Many people recommend them and they are cheaper. However, after this trip we will not use again or recommend their service. Around 6:30pm, we received n email that our order was out for delivery. At 8pm, we still had heard nothing more. At 8:30pm we received a second email stating that our address was not found. Arrgh.....How can you not find the Grand Floridian. And why did no one call, they had out phone number. Robin got on the phone and called Amazon. They told her it was too late to deliver tonight and that it would have to be 6am-8am in the morning. Groceries came around 8am the next day, but I had already ordered breakfast, since I had two hungry boys and no food. When we checked the order, we had no milk and no water......WTF. You would think after not finding the hotel, not calling us and not delivering the first day.....that they would check and make sure the order was right. We never had such bad service with Garden Grocer and they will continue to get our business even if they cost more.

We spent a lot of time at the pool again. In fact we swam every day. Dining was meh, good and great. On this trip we ate at Gasparilla(dinner & breakfast), Kona (dinner), Sunshines (lunch) T-Rex (lunch) and California Grill.

Kona was the "meh" meal and I was a bit disappointed. The apps were great....stick wings and sushi, but the main entrees were terrible. Robin ordered the Lobster Mac-n-cheese and I had the short rib. The Mac-n-cheese was not edible.....way to salty. And my short rib was chock full of fat....bleh. They did comp the mac-n-cheese off the bill, which we appreciated.

Gasparilla and T-Rex were good. I expected Gasparilla to be good, but was pleased that T-Rex was not bad as I feared. Sunshines was also better than expected. I know its just quick service, but our meals were tasty.

California Grill was wonderful as always. We snagged this reservation 2 days out and were quite happy, since the boys actually requested to go there for there birthday dinner. The were fantastic thru the meal, which was two hours. As a bonus, Cali Grill has a chocolate souffle on the menu, which is one of Robin's favorite desserts! Everything about this meal was great.......food, service and atmosphere!

It was hot in the parks, especially with the masks on all day. I don't like it and after the few hours, everyone was done with the heat and the masks. We go back again in December and I am so looking forward to cool weather with the masks. Every day the parks were busy. Not normal, crazy, crowded pre-covid busy.....but busy. With no fast passes, the lines move decent but still too much for my tastes. The parks are busies in the morning and by 2-3pm, they really start thinning out, except Epcot.

Talking to staff, the cash resorts that are open are running around 40% capacity. Which means that the DVC resorts are bringing in most of the people for the DVC resorts. Apparently weddings are back, because we saw one at the Grand Floridian over the weekend. I was surprised to see, because I missed that they were being held again at the wedding pavilion.

Transportation to the parks still sucks, in my opinion. Ironically, getting back from the parks has not been an issue at all.
Thanks for sharing! I was eyeing Kona as an alternative for the restaurants at the Contemporary, but I will hold off for now.

Was hoping for weather in the low 80's, but every time I check, seems like the forecast goes up a degree each day. I think that we will be ready for some pool time in the early afternoon each day just to get cooled down and go mask free for a bit.

Glad that you had a successful trip with the grandsons
Sarco11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:12 AM   #13
AnnaS
Add-on Aficionado

Happy Birthday to your grandsons!!!!! Great place to celebrate.

I am more concerned with mobile ordering than anything else. A little technically challenged here - I am confident I will be a pro by the second day

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:02 AM   #14
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
Happy Birthday to your grandsons!!!!! Great place to celebrate.

I am more concerned with mobile ordering than anything else. A little technically challenged here - I am confident I will be a pro by the second day

Overall. I have had great experiences with Mobile ordering. I have used it since it was first rolled out a few years ago. But at Gasparillo's, they were just really slow. Not sure if its because of not enough staff or they just are not getting the hang of handling mobile orders. They did just recently reopen and I suppose they are still trying to find a system that works for them. Other "normal" p[laces we used mobile ordering, each order was quick and smooth.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:06 AM   #15
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarco11 View Post
Thanks for sharing! I was eyeing Kona as an alternative for the restaurants at the Contemporary, but I will hold off for now.

Was hoping for weather in the low 80's, but every time I check, seems like the forecast goes up a degree each day. I think that we will be ready for some pool time in the early afternoon each day just to get cooled down and go mask free for a bit.

Glad that you had a successful trip with the grandsons
Unless you want sushi and apps, I would find a different restaurant. The Wave has not ever disappointed us.....we have been there twice in the last 7 weeks.

Our temps were around 90 each day. Breathing into the mask, with that heat and humidity, made me feel even more hot than normal. I hated the mask by noon every day. Hated it!

I can handle the mask on all day indoors and in mild weather, but not in Florida heat.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:08 AM   #16
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Something else I forgot to mention. I wanted to rent a half-day Cabana rental at the pool. Nope, during covid they are only doing half-day rentals. So each day we were at the pool, at least 2 of the 4 Cabanas were not rented at all. Why not do any half-day rentals? Makes no sense to me at all.