home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #11
disneyteach
Grand Villa

We had a great flight down, took off on time and landed early. We carried on and we got to choose our Hertz rental from the Presidentís Circle, so no waiting in line. We brought our e-pass so I quickly registered that and we were on our way! I believe we were parked at AK by 10:45. We were parked in Unicorn row S, nearly 2 hours after opening. I think weíve always been in Dinosaur, even when weíre there for rope-drop. Given past experience, I was a little worried we would have Magic band issues, but no problems at all getting in. Iím not sure how the new security works, but itís greatóquick and easy! DH was hungry for a snack so we stopped at Trilobites for the Buffalo chicken chips. Iíve always wanted to try them. They were ok. I honestly would just prefer the plain chips. They remind me of the Saratoga chips. I headed to Dinosaur next and DH was still getting used to the whole mask thing (he works from home) and he chickened out when he saw the line outside. The posted wait time was 40 min. I tried to tell him that it likely wasnít that long, but he said he didnít want to wait. We walked around for a little bit and I finally convinced him to go to Pandora. The posted wait time was 70 minutes but we both agreed to we would likely never be able to standby for this again. On our way, a pineapple dole whip with watermelon, coconut syrup, and dark rum called Kingís Cooler caught our eye so we stopped to share that. We were shocked at how far back the line to FOP went, even though we knew it was due to the distancing. It was nearly back to the Festival of the Lion King area. It moved very fast though and we were on the ride in an hour. I set up mobile ordering for Satulíi Canteen (our AK go-to) for a 1-1:30 window. We got off the ride at 1. Perfect timing! As we were getting off the ride I let them know we were there and it still took 20 minutes. They donít let you in until it says your order is ready and it seemed that a lot of people were just sitting around waiting. It was hot and all the shady areas were taken. Our lunch was delicious. I couldnít remember if I usually got the noodle base or rice base, so I got rice but after eating, Iím pretty sure I usually get the noodles. Weíre eating at The Wave tonight and Iím very much looking forward to the gnocchi, so I guess itís good that I passed on the noodles for lunch too. The CMs are very good about guiding you to where you need to be, but then we were kind of just left alone after getting our fountain drinks from the drink station. We were just kind of wandering looking for a table. We said we wished they would seat us as well. We ended up grabbing a table as another group was leaving and a CM came right over and cleaned it up for us. We did miss being able to get a refill, as that is one of the few spots on property where you have free access to the fountain machines. Disclaimer: we did not ask for a refill, we just assumed they wouldnít give us one. We did miss out on our favorite Night Blossom drink in Pandora this time; we both said had we known we would wait so long for our order to be ready, we wouldíve gotten one while we waited. After lunch, we did the Safari (posted wait time was 25 minutes and we waited about 15-but that was mostly just walking). The animals were out and about and very lively today. We didnít see any lions this time though. After the safari, we decided to try Everest. DH originally said he didnít want to ride Everest with a mask on but I guess since heíd been wearing it all day he just decided what the heck. The posted wait time was 40 minutes but I donít think we even waited 20. For some reason, this ride did me in. I do get a little motion sickness, but never on this ride. Probably the heat. I was very cognizant about by water intake because I do think itís much easier to forget to drink when youíre wearing a mask all day. DH was ready to go and since I wasnít feeling well we decided to call it a day. We stopped at the new, huge McDís on the way out and I got an iced tea and immediately felt better. We headed to Publix because we both knew we wouldnít want to go back out once we got ďhome.Ē We just arrived to BLT. Itís hard to believe itís been over a year since weíve been here. We were down in February, but we stayed at Riviera. We went straight to the room (standard studio, weíre on the 3rd floor, so a low view of the lake) with no problems using our MB getting in. We have dinner reservations at 7 at the Wave so weíre just hanging out until then. So far, a great day!
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:10 PM   #12
disneyteach
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Have a safe flight and great trip!!!

We are also leaving this afternoon around 2:30pm for WDW. Getting a car rental if a good idea with the new rules, if not use Uber/lyft.

We ate at the Wave two weeks ago. The tables are really spaced apart, no worries on people being too close. Pre-Covid, the tables in the restaurant were already generously spaced apart....one of the things I like about eating at the restaurant.
Good to know, thanks! Enjoy your trip!
Old 10-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #13
disneyteach
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Have a great time! 8am flights out of CMH are great. Not too early and not too late. Shouldn't be much traffic either (there hasn't been much traffic lately) Safe travels!
Super easy getting to the airport. We parked in the walking lot. We didnít add the extra 10 minutes needed from our new house, but it ended up being fine. I think we sat for maybe 10 minutes before they started boarding. SWA boarding process seemed to be so much faster than normal too. They called A 1-15, then A16-30 and so on. Just seemed to move much more quickly this way.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #14
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyteach View Post
Super easy getting to the airport. We parked in the walking lot. We didnít add the extra 10 minutes needed from our new house, but it ended up being fine. I think we sat for maybe 10 minutes before they started boarding. SWA boarding process seemed to be so much faster than normal too. They called A 1-15, then A16-30 and so on. Just seemed to move much more quickly this way.
I havenít tried that lot yet. I've been doing the garage since we had an issue with valet parking once. We decided we were spoiled with that lol

Will look into it for our next trip though.

Sounds like a great first day outside of EE.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:25 AM   #15
disneyteach
Grand Villa

Dinner at the Wave was delicious. I just love gnocchi but donít get it much at home, so itís always a treat on vacation. The restaurant was way more crowded than I expected. The only other time I had ever been there, it was completely dead. I donít know which is more usual, but DH & I discussed that perhaps this is due to the parks closing earlier, therefore fewer restaurants to choose from. The tables were not as spaced as I expected, in fact they added a table across from us between two other tables and the diners were definitely not spaced 6 feet apart. We did arrive about 30 minutes early and we got the table ready text just a few minutes later, so that was nice.

After dinner, I convinced DH to go sit in the hot tub. We detoured into the pool area to check out how crowded it was, and it was completely full. Mostly kids. This is at BLT, we did not look at Contemporary. On our regular trips, the pool is nearly empty in the evenings. Again, Iím sure this is due to the early park closing. In fact, if park hopping was available, we wouldíve likely walked in to MK for the evening as well.

We have breakfast at Grand Floridian Cafe this morning and then weíre headed to Epcot! We may take a midday break and ride over to Riviera on the Skyliner. We want to check out their gift shop for some DVC goodies. The 30% discount is just too good to pass up!
Old 10-15-2020, 07:38 AM   #16
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Dinner at the Wave was delicious. I just love gnocchi but donít get it much at home, so itís always a treat on vacation. The restaurant was way more crowded than I expected. The only other time I had ever been there, it was completely dead. I donít know which is more usual, but DH & I discussed that perhaps this is due to the parks closing earlier, therefore fewer restaurants to choose from. The tables were not as spaced as I expected, in fact they added a table across from us between two other tables and the diners were definitely not spaced 6 feet apart. We did arrive about 30 minutes early and we got the table ready text just a few minutes later, so that was nice.

After dinner, I convinced DH to go sit in the hot tub. We detoured into the pool area to check out how crowded it was, and it was completely full. Mostly kids. This is at BLT, we did not look at Contemporary. On our regular trips, the pool is nearly empty in the evenings. Again, Iím sure this is due to the early park closing. In fact, if park hopping was available, we wouldíve likely walked in to MK for the evening as well.

We have breakfast at Grand Floridian Cafe this morning and then weíre headed to Epcot! We may take a midday break and ride over to Riviera on the Skyliner. We want to check out their gift shop for some DVC goodies. The 30% discount is just too good to pass up!
I have to tell DH. Heís Italian and the man loves his pasta.
Keep enjoying!!
Eeyorelover22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #17
Raspus
Two Bedroom

Quote:

Disappointed to hear that the tables at the Wave have been moved closer. At least the food was delicious. Enjoy the food and wine at Epcot. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #18
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Enjoy!
Old 10-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #19
disneyteach
Grand Villa

Epcot yesterday was fantastic. It was hot, but not unbearable. We brought our cool towels but never got them out. We left BLT to drive to Epcot a little after 10:15 and we were in the park by 10:45. The longest ďlineĒ we were in was to get into the parking lot. We went straight to Soariní, which was basically a walk-on. We waited just a little bit, but not long. Unfortunately we were seated on the very end, so got a lot of distortion. I will never understand how the distortion is up to Disneyís standards. I really like how they lead you into The Land building in one direction. I wish they would keep that forever. DH has a colleague that is an AP and lives in the Orlando area, so he and his wife met us for the afternoon. They had just arrived after we got off the ride, so we headed to the World Showcase to meet them. We started with the pork slider from Hawaii, which was delicious. We made our way around the World Showcase, just eating and drinking anything that looked good. I honestly didnít have anything that I didnít like. We. Ate. A Lot. What we missed yesterday we will hit up today, along with some favorites. Our friends departed around 3 when we made it around to Mexico. DH wanted to try a beer that was in the Epcot experience so we went in there and sat down for a little bit. As we continued around the World Showcase for a second loop, we stopped in the World Showplace Marketplace. This was a nice little indoor area they had set up where we got some caramel apple popcorn, Buffalo Mac & cheese, lobster Mac & cheese, and a m&m nitro cake pop. After leaving there we decided to get off our feet and take a quick ride on the Skyliner to check out our other homeóRiviera Resort. We wanted to see if they had anything new or different in the gift shop. DH has been looking for a DVC polo shirt since the last time we were here and he canít find it in his size. As soon as we got off the Skyliner, I was reminded why I love this resort so much. Itís just so peaceful all around the grounds. I was a teeny bit sad we werenít staying there this time. I say this as Iím sitting on the peaceful beach in front of the Contemporary, though, and itís really nice here right now too. We didnít find what we were looking for at RR, so we hopped back on the Skyliner to head back to Epcot. I was so full and really couldíve left at any time but DH brought up a good point, what else were we going to do? So we finished this loop around, stopping a few places along the way, and decided to head over to Test Track. We know it will be more busy today (Friday) so we decided to knock out both big rides today. The posted wait time for TT was 65 minutes, and I think we waited around 45. I neglected to tell DH the part where you design your car was closed. Guess I just assumed he knew. He was bummed about that. It was still a fun ride. After TT, we went into Mouse Gear (didnít buy anything) then waited about 5 min for Spaceship Earth. After that we called it a day and went back to the resort to relax.

Some observations from the last two days:
- If there is not tape on the floors telling people where to stand, they do not maintain 6 feet distance (or any kind of distance)
- It makes no sense to me how they distance the lines but then bottleneck everyone at the exit of a ride.
- The later in the evening it gets, the more sloppy people get with mask-wearing. After about 5 yesterday, there were a lot of people walking with their masks down and drinking, despite the multiple PA announcements. We didnít notice that at all earlier.
- The pool opens way too late. Epcot doesnít open until 11 today and I was looking forward to some pool time in the AM. The sign says it doesnít open until 10.
- I do not like full days at the park, but the shorter hours really give you no choice. The last few years we have taken a mid-day break and itís been great. Epcot is open until 9 tonight... I really donít want to make it a 10 hour day. Weíll see what DH says. He loves full days.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #20
disneyteach
Grand Villa

We ate and drank way too much around Epcot today! We arrived around 10:30ish again and waited in no lines for temp check, security, or gates. I went to Starbucks to get a coffee, but they werenít quite open yet. We walked back to the waffle place and they had just opened so we each got a waffle (chocolate ganache for me, fruit topping for DH) and by that point Starbucks had opened and already had a line. Oh well. We took our time with our ďbreakfastĒ then started around the World Showcase, starting with Mexico this time. DH & I shared both the taco and the tostada (I preferred the tostada) and we each got a margarita. Classic for DH, Mango Smoky for meóit was tasty!) Next, we decided to ride the Three Caballeros ride to get out of the heat. There was a family behind us who were letting their kids run up right behind us and it made me very uncomfortable. The mom was even beyond the line on the floor. The teacher in me came out and I pointed out that the line was behind them. They apologized, but I have no patience for that at this point. As expected, we hit up all the places we didnít eat at yesterday or tried some different foods at some of the same booths. I feel like I didnít eat as much today, but I drank more. It balances out, right?! I think the only food I was disappointed in was Italy-the food looked & tasted like a frozen meal. But, the Italian Margarita was so refreshing and might be my favorite drink of the day. It was very hot, so we took a lot of breaks in the shade, wherever we could find it. We knew we were in for the long haul and no reason to rush anywhere. By 3, we had made it around the showcase and decided to head to some rides. We rode Figment, the Land, and Nemo, waiting less than 10 minutes for each, despite posted wait times of 20+. Somewhere along the way we discussed Spice Road Table and decided to see if we could walk up there. Itís a place Iíve always wanted to try, but DH doesnít typically like those flavors. The alcohol or the heat, or both, mustíve gotten to him because we ended up getting in there at 4:45. I was between the chefís special of chicken schwarma or the lamb sliders and the server told me go with the sliders...holy wow. They did not disappoint! Probably one of the best things Iíve had in a long time. It was just so flavorful. The mint iced tea was also very refreshing on such a hot day.

I also forgot to mention that on our first time around the WS, we happened upon an AP pop-up shop in Germany. Apparently it started a few days ago, I donít remember reading anything about it. It seemed like a lot of stuff they were just trying to get rid of. A lot of stuff was 50% off and then they gave the 30% AP discount on top of it. There was a hoodie I really liked but couldnít find it in my size. I got DD a flag Minnie Mouse stuffie (she has somewhat of a collection at this point) and a cool Mickey Mouse Epcot shirt for DS. I paid $18 for both! I love a deal. We made another trip around after dinner and DH got a few beers and another margarita. I was so stuffed at that point I couldnít possibly eat or drink anything else. The observation I made yesterday about people being more sloppy with their mask-wearing the later it got seemed to still be true. I feel bad for the CMs enforcing. They keep making announcements that if youíre not wearing your mask properly, you will be asked to leave. Maybe itís time to start enforcing and people will take it more seriously. We ended up leaving around 8, so we definitely put it a full day.

Iím looking forward to Magic Kingdom tomorrow. I donít think there will ever come a time when I donít love that park!