home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #1
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Default Quick, hot Fall break makeup trip

Traveling home from WDW, overnight in McDonougoh, GA. Hope for good traffic rest if the way, ATL and Chattanooga.
Main goals of trip: Rise if the Resistance and food/wine food, and enjoying BCV, a new resort for us. Y’all know my stress about boarding groups for Rise. Ridiculous Amt of stress. So glad and just relieved we got on. Thanksgiving trip hopefully won’t be as stressful. We still want more experiences on it. But at least we did it!
I also made sure we enjoyed that pool at BCV as much as possible. Thurs night, I took kids around 8, and stayed until 10. Next night about 7: 30-almost 10. Sat afternoon, DH joined, stayed 3-4 hours.( enjoyed it except once we saw the LSU score....) Kids loved, loved all the pools, esp the sand pool, so that goal was accomplished. We don’t usually take that much pool time. Otherwise, we very much liked BCV, But will prob choose BWV over it. Unless kids want pool , or we really want a 2 BR and can’t get it at BWV .
Thursday afternoon/ night Epcot:
Very nice. We tried lots of yummy things: we all (even DS) like the Frothy Ranen in Japan. After 5, were able to ride Soarin, SE, mission space. Rushed , rushed to finish the Remy scavenger hunt before 7. Weren’t sure we were coming back Monday . Thursday was nice
Friday was HS, and the stress of Rise. I did a different thread on that. Won’t rehash, but such joy and relief to get that pass. HS was hot as Hades that day. By 1 pm. All wait times were horrible, we were drained from heat , and just left . Also had a lot of issues with kids all wanting to do different things, which creates more hassles and stress. Everyone was tired, feet hurt, cranky, so was nice to just go back to pool. Tentatively planned to go back over later, but never happened . Oh well, we’ll be back
Due to stress if HS, and insane wait times, changed Sat to AK. Unexpected change and hadn’t planned on bus. We were late to bus stop, got there bout 7:10 for 8 opening. 3 groups ahead of us. They said they’d just missed a bus from 7:03. Next bus can about 7:35. We barely got on. Only did bec one ‘group’ was a single person, and she Agreed to Move and sit on the scooter seat. We usually drive to AKL. Bus riding really different now.
Did safari first thing, and what I think kids will remember most Are the wild dogs being out , and one had what looked like a large , meaty bone in its mouth. Dh said it looked like a foot.
Sun was checkout day . Hot , hot , hot at Epcot. No rides . Lines way too long. Mission space 65 min , test track 90-100 all day while we were there. Poor son just walked around with us while we ate etc. food booth lines very long, very busy, looked just like a regular FW weekend. Crowded and hot . But very yummy food .

Last edited by Jedimom3; 10-12-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #2
E2ME2
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
Traveling home from WDW, overnight in McDonougoh, GA. Hope for good traffic rest if the way, ATL and Chattanooga.
Main goals of trip: Rise if the Resistance and food/wine food, and enjoying BCV, a new resort for us. Y’all know my stress about boarding groups for Rise. Ridiculous Amt of stress. So glad and just relieved we got on. Thanksgiving trip hopefully won’t be as stressful. We still want more experiences on it. But at least we did it!
I also made sure we enjoyed that pool at BCV as much as possible. Thurs night, I took kids around 8, and stayed until 10. Next night about 7: 30-almost 10. Sat afternoon, DH joined, stayed 3-4 hours.( enjoyed it except once we saw the LSU score....) Kids loved, loved all the pools, esp the sand pool, so that goal was accomplished. We don’t usually take that much pool time. Otherwise, we very much liked BCV, But will prob choose BWV over it. Unless kids want pool , or we really want a 2 BR and can’t get it at BWV .
Thursday afternoon/ night Epcot:
Very nice. We tried lots of yummy things: we all (even DS) like the Frothy Ranen in Japan. After 5, were able to ride Soarin, SE, mission space. Rushed , rushed to finish the Remy scavenger hunt before 7. Weren’t sure we were coming back Monday . Thursday was nice
Friday was HS, and the stress of Rise. I did a different thread on that. Won’t rehash, but such joy and relief to get that pass. HS was hot as Hades that day. By 1 pm. All wait times were horrible, we were drained from heat , and just left . Also had a lot of issues with kids all wanting to do different things, which creates more hassles and stress. Everyone was tired, feet hurt, cranky, so was nice to just go back to pool. Tentatively planned to go back over later, but never happened . Oh well, we’ll be back
Due to stress if HS, and insane wait times, changed Sat to AK. Unexpected change and hadn’t planned on bus. We were late to bus stop, got there bout 7:10 for 8 opening. 3 groups ahead of us. They said they’d just missed a bus from 7:03. Next bus can about 7:35. We barely got on. Only did bec one ‘group’ was a single person, and she Agreed to Move and sit on the scooter seat. We usually drive to AKL. Bus riding really different now.
Did safari first thing, and what I think kids will remember most Are the wild dogs being out , and one had what looked like a large , meaty bone in its mouth. Dh said it looked like a foot.
Sun was checkout day . Hot , hot , hot at Epcot. No rides . Lines way too long. Mission space 65 min , test track 90-100 all day while we were there. Poor son just walked around with us while we ate etc. food booth lines very long, very busy, looked just like a regular FW weekend. Crowded and hot . But very yummy food .
Thanks for the TR - & I'm glad you got to ride ROTR!
I haven't been in the SAB Pool since 1998 - when we stayed at the Yacht Club during a P3 Conference. I think I could still manage that pirate ship slide!
I'm still waiting to hear from ROFR on a small BCV contract, so hopefully I will be staying there again soon! That has to be the absolute best location during F&W.
We are also there during the Festival of the Arts, so EPCOT access is awesome at BCV!
Did you ride the Skyliner and, if so, what did you think of it ?
Old 10-12-2020, 09:09 AM   #3
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Sounds like you had a good trip. So happy about Rise.

I'm pulling for a BG Nov 22nd when DS will be at Studios with us.

We did a BC stay back when we first bought DVC and did a single night for SAB. The kids loved it. They were in their early HS years. DD also had her senior pics taken at the BC with a few pics with the waters around SAB.

Be safe if you aren't home yet!
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
Raspus
Two Bedroom

Sounds like you had a great trip. Glad you got to rode ROTR. Thanks for the report.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
disneyteach
Grand Villa

Thanks for the TR! I totally understand that ROTR stress. We did that in February. Attempted BG's 3 days in a row. Got it the third. It was just way too stressful. Especially frustrating when people around us were getting BGs and said they had ridden it several times before. We just wanted to ride once!

We are headed down this week. So disappointed to hear about the long lines. I've been reading about how short they are but recently have read more and more about the longer wait times. Glad you all got to enjoy the pool so much!
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Hmmm - the title did not lead to quite the same story I might have expected. Hot....makeup....

I 100% understand about the RoTR boarding group stress which is why I hate that is what they are doing and would never support it for anything else ever again. I wish it would end for that attraction too.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #7
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks for the summary, glad you enjoyed!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:53 PM   #8
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Thanks for the update. I am glad you took the opportunity to go to WDW. Our trip over Labor Day was similar. We spent more time at the the pool then normal. It was hot, hot, hot and glad to have the pool time.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #9
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by E2ME2 View Post
Thanks for the TR - & I'm glad you got to ride ROTR!
I haven't been in the SAB Pool since 1998 - when we stayed at the Yacht Club during a P3 Conference. I think I could still manage that pirate ship slide!
I'm still waiting to hear from ROFR on a small BCV contract, so hopefully I will be staying there again soon! That has to be the absolute best location during F&W.
We are also there during the Festival of the Arts, so EPCOT access is awesome at BCV!
Did you ride the Skyliner and, if so, what did you think of it ?
We did take the Skyliner back from HS. I see it as a ride (and then secondly as a form of transportation,) 90% of the time we walk to/from HS and Epcot from the BWV area. We had a very nice ride. lots of breeze coming through, 1st cart was not a character cart, so could see more of the scenery. Started raining while we were on second leg, no thunder/lightning, but exited at IG in the rain. Not sure what they'd do if you're on it, and it starts thundering???? Good views of the back of the France pavilion. Very nice ride.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:43 AM   #10
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Adding a few more observations
We were in Room 472 at BCV, beautiful/wonderful view of a quiet pool/resort.
HOwever, the walk to SAB was as long or longer than any walk at BWV. So many folks talk about the long hallways/walking at BWV (which we don't notice/mind) , but we walked just as much at BCV. I know we were at a far end. Nice to be close to stairwell and parking lot for access, but walk to pool was long

Also, at AK, for the Gorilla trail, there is social distancing going on there, that changes the queue a bit. After the bird sanctuary area, there will be a line to get into to view the gorilla family. There's a CM letting you know that if you want to view the meerkats, you have to get OUT of the gorilla line, and go up and view them, and then get back into the gorilla line (at the end of the line or skip gorillas, if you only want to see meerkats,) Kids and I went to view meerkats, while DH stood in line. Then when you get to gorilla viewing, there are green dots to stand on, and the CM will hustle you along, they'll let each group watch for about a min/take pics, then ask you to move along.
Not a big deal, but made for less lingering around there. Not much time to take in the gorilla families.

Also, a LOT of the extended queue lines end up in the direct sun. I'd heard a blogger say bring an umbrella for MMRR, as most of that queue is outside, but I wish I'd brought one for all the rides. Toy Story mania had a short line, bout 25 mins, but it was even in the sun, for a part of that. food/wine lines more spread out, lots in the sun, but that is usual. I thought I was gonna melt at the refreshment port.
And I still say Epcot is the hottest park. If you are traversing WS, you are in blazing sun for a lot of that. no shade. not a lot of shade at HS either, AK has more shade than those 2.