home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #21
pirate431
Studio

Hmm. Well, fortunately it does seem no harm no foul if some points were returned and are bankable. Hopefully this would not be done if more points were required.

I do wonder how this happened. Perhaps the renters were complaining to the front desk and they initiated the change to provide good customer service? It seems odd that the renters would call MS and be assisted that way.

In any event, This might require some updates to my standard rental contract. It currently has language I picked up that says the owner retains “control” of the reservation but perhaps it should be more explicit in stating that the renter may not change the reservation or contact MS, except through owner. I think I will also add that a change in the reservation that results in less points being used does not result in a refund; that is implicit now but could be more explicit. (My form allows for renters to make changes subject to the limitations of the particular points used and the program rules.)
pirate431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #22
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

So, still curious about what MS had to say this morning (you mentioned you were going to call them).
Old 09-14-2020, 12:58 PM   #23
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate431 View Post
Hmm. Well, fortunately it does seem no harm no foul if some points were returned and are bankable. Hopefully this would not be done if more points were required.

I do wonder how this happened. Perhaps the renters were complaining to the front desk and they initiated the change to provide good customer service? It seems odd that the renters would call MS and be assisted that way.

In any event, This might require some updates to my standard rental contract. It currently has language I picked up that says the owner retains “control” of the reservation but perhaps it should be more explicit in stating that the renter may not change the reservation or contact MS, except through owner. I think I will also add that a change in the reservation that results in less points being used does not result in a refund; that is implicit now but could be more explicit. (My form allows for renters to make changes subject to the limitations of the particular points used and the program rules.)
For me, this confirms that my one time renting out points was a one and done. I’m just not comfortable with changes like this being made without the owners consent, even if more points weren’t used. I’ve been considering transferring out my 2020 points since we won’t be traveling any time soon, but that’s a final transaction. So, no worries with reservation changes. What a mess.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #24
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
MS is not currently putting points from late cancellations into holding. They have not said when they will go back to the normal holding policy.
Fantastic to know. Thanks! Do you know if they are unborrowing points for ANY cancelled resie? I have a late Nov resie and then a Jan resie and we might cancel one or both and I used some borrowed points. Nov resie wasn't made that long ago.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s): Nov 28- Dec 2 VGF&BCV/ Dec 2-12 Palm Coast, Sept 27- Oct 3 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #25
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Fantastic to know. Thanks! Do you know if they are unborrowing points for ANY cancelled resie? I have a late Nov resie and then a Jan resie and we might cancel one or both and I used some borrowed points. Nov resie wasn't made that long ago.
They are returning borrowed points for any cancelled reservation - for now. Just like they are waiving the holding rules - for now.

The thing is though they could change that policy at any time and DVC don’t need to tell us in advance.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #26
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate431 View Post

I have similar language in my rental Agreement. But, I also have language stating that if at some point more points are needed that I will get paid for them at the same rate as the points used for the reservation.

This just had to be initiated at the resort front desk -- room assignor at one resort working with a room assignor at another resort.

My hunch is that DVC MS wasn't involved.

Looking forward to an update

Where I'm Going 2020:
All Personal Travel is Under Construction
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #27
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
They are returning borrowed points for any cancelled reservation - for now. Just like they are waiving the holding rules - for now.

The thing is though they could change that policy at any time and DVC don’t need to tell us in advance.
I just had a conversation with a DVC CM the other day about this. Obviously, he doesn't have any crystal ball, but he said that he would be surprised if there was no notice to members of the change on holding/borrowed points.

Right now the no holding is working to my advantage. Hoping it stays this way for a little while.

Where I'm Going 2020:
All Personal Travel is Under Construction
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #28
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Talked to MS and they said it was done between the resorts. I was told it could have been a room issue, over booking or other problem. They said it was done because points were returned to me and that they would never take points without talking to me.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #29
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
Talked to MS and they said it was done between the resorts. I was told it could have been a room issue, over booking or other problem. They said it was done because points were returned to me and that they would never take points without talking to me.
I'm getting confused as first it sounded like your renter called MS directly. Instead they were talking to the front desk staff, correct? And they handled the switch? If so that's always been a gap in the system. From what MS has told me they don't want the hotel staff to do that but sometimes they still do.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:27 PM   #30
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

My question is why the renter did this at all. Wasn’t it made clear that this reservation was for Copper Creek only? I would be just as mad at the renter if not more. Better firm up the conditions now before they make charges to your room and then decide not to pay.