home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-07-2020, 06:56 AM   #11
JudieHopps
Grand Villa

Following along!

Wow, that flight looked pretty full!
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:04 AM   #12
Joeli
Grand Villa

Following! Thank you for sharing and taking the time to post all!

Upcoming:
2021 (Mar - BWV, May - PVB, Jul - SSR/DCL Fantasy, Oct - PVB)

Done:
2020 (Jan, Mar, Mar/Apr/May/May/Jun, Sept, Aug, Oct, Nov) - Swan, PVB, PVB/PVB/AKV/AKV/PVB, DCL Fantasy - (COVID-19 BOO), BCV, BWV, PVB (bungalow)
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sept, Oct, Dec) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan, BWV, BLT, BWV, RCCL - Allure of the Seas
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Lion King/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #13
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

The flight overall was very uneventful. There was only the one man that I could tell that didn’t wear his mask properly and everyone else seemed good about keeping them on. People were eating and drinking but I noticed the man across from me would sip his drink under his mask and leave it on. It was 9 am and he was having a drink and he wasn’t alone. I always find this fascinating but I don’t drink because of migraines. The seats on our plane didn’t recline and the space under the seat in front seemed smaller than 737 for SWA. Bill knew who made our plane and was giving me the lowdown on it.

About 15 minutes into the flight I knew we were not prepared, but I checked the Netflix app anyway...nope, all the downloads were expired so we failed in that department for entertainment on the plane. The flight was about 2 hours 20 minutes though so we settled in and tried to snooze. I woke up at 3:45 not needing to till 5-5:30 so that was a bummer. I don’t miss that when that happened when I was working. We still had a long day ahead so maybe a snooze would work. Neck pillows...those would have been nice too. Nope...didn’t have them! I was so out of practice for travel. It wouldn’t have mattered anyway because the blood curdling screams of the young child on board would have kept us awake anyway. So, we chatted about the plans at our son and daughter in-law’s house and the plan when we landed. In between the flight attendants going up and down the aisle interrupting us about my chips sitting in the window seat. She inquired about these chips 3 times. The first time I think she thought someone was sitting there and then it really bothered her that we wouldn’t eat the chips. In the time of Covid on a plane without soap and water I really didn’t want to be digging into chips so I was saving them for the car ride once we started on our car journey. We descended thru the clouds which caused lots of turbulence but DH also said it was due to the heat...then he went into all his techno speak and I’m sure my eyes started to glaze over. He of course rates the landing giving the pilot a 7. I think he’s only given one 10 over the years.

Very interesting deplaning. Social distancing at the ticket counter and while boarding but when we were waiting to get off the plane most people could care less and jumped up especially at the back of the plane. I was waiting in the aisle and I felt a person WAY TOO CLOSE. I could feel her pressed up against my back and when I looked down at my feet she was so close to me her sandaled foot was between my two feet as I was standing with my feet shoulder width apart. I was shocked. I was pretty annoyed and I think she finally realized what she had done. I needed that shirt that I’ve seen that says...Bibbidi Bobbidi back the f up. She did move away from me finally. I noticed in the luggage area the same thing. Everyone standing shoulder to shoulder.
Once inside the terminal the gate are was pretty full. I’m sure being the holiday weekend made these flights very popular especially the price. It will be interesting to compare to the flight home. I didn’t think the rest of the airport was that busy.

Besides the burnt roof of my mouth from the coffee I had an injury inflicted upon me while making my way out of our aisle and seats. I leaned against the arm of the seat to brace myself to grab my backpack right when Bill decided to push it up and out of the way. He wasn’t looking so when it didn’t move very well, he pushed against it harder. I’ve been trained over the years for no swearing in public but WOW did that ever hurt. Now my knuckle was white and I was in extreme pain, but then Super Glue Suzy behind me distracted me from the pain.

Sanford Airport was still easy to navigate and our bags were out pretty quick. We headed to the car rental and it seemed very familiar even though we haven’t flown into SFB since 2008. I preferred how MCO handles car rentals for Avis with the app indicating the spot number with our car but here we had to wait in line but it didn’t take too long. We made sure to note the dings in the door and the agent came to look. She thought we wanted a new vehicle which we didn’t; we just didn’t want to pay for damage that wasn’t noted. I wiped down the car and we were situated and we were both happy that Apple Play displayed Waze so we could see it easier. Too bad when i unplugged it to charge DH’s phone it wouldn’t cooperate since we were driving. Total pain but we did have along our magnet for the vent to hold the phone. We’ll know for the trip to WDW on Wednesday. It only took me 20 minutes to get the radio to play. I’m sure my kids could have figured it out in 3 seconds.

We landed about 12:20 and we were exiting the parking lot about 1:10. I saw the sign for the theme parks and had to remind myself we were heading north to the Savannah area. I watched for 417. I realized I had made a tactical mistake with our driving arrangements. I usually drive from MCO to WDW and I do almost all if the driving there, but I was navigating which meant the pilot was a tad rattled with the rental and maneuvering the HEAVY traffic even on 417. Friday Holiday Traffic was bumper to bumper all the way till we exited for the last 25 minutes on two lane highway. It was 3.5 hours and we were on a tight schedule with an hour to spare to make dinner at 6:30. We made good time even with the heavy traffic and construction. Typical defensive driving skills used to avoid drivers being pinheads with weaving, camping in the left passing lane and slamming on breaks causing near misses. Once we made it beyond Jacksonville I figured we were home free to make it on time. We did with time to spare since our DIL was not off work and home yet so we thought we’d hit Walmart which was a time killer only because it was PACKED so we kept going and circled back to their house another way but did get gas. It was BLAZING HOT with a heat index of 107 so we didn’t want to bake in their driveway while we waited. We arrived about 5 pm, said our hellos with hugs and she helped us with our luggage. She was shocked at the light load we had. We drove last fall and over the 4th and brought boxes to DS of his worldly possessions he hadn’t taken with...aka video games, consoles, etc. DS arrived about 30 minutes later and we were off to dinner meeting her parents there.

We met at Marker 107 near Richmond Hill, Ga. it was very good. My healthy salad was canceled by my sweet potato fries, but they were yummy. We were back home and getting ready for bed about 9 pm I think. It had been a long day. When I was digging thru the luggage to find our pjs, toothbrushes, etc I realized I didn’t pack my hairdryer. I was so excited when we went with two checked bags that I could bring my hair dryer. Then...I didn’t pack it. I added it to the Walmart list. I wonder where I left my hair dryer? I’m sure I set it down somewhere in the house.

We’d fly again because the traffic was so heavy over the holiday weekend. When we traveled over the 4th of July the traffic over that holiday weekend was some of the worst traffic we’ve been in. When 417 was busy going north (I think it’s north anyway) till we hit 95 I figured the entire trip would have been bad. We spent 36 hours in the car at the end of June and July. I think this trip would have been 44 hours of driving.

Saturday we spent time at Watermelon Creek Winery in Glennville GA. Love this place. Picked up two bottles of peach wine and grape jam for my parents after a delicious lunch. Went to Hobby Lobby after lunch just too look around and I bought more ribbon and lobster claws for more mask holders. These have worked great on this trip.

More later...family is done training.

Last edited by Eeyorelover22; 09-07-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:15 PM   #14
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudieHopps View Post
Following along!

Wow, that flight looked pretty full!
Yes it was.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:18 PM   #15
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Mask holder. Lobster claws go around ear loops.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #16
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Saturday continues....
We just hung around in the afternoon and I honestly donít know where the time went. DS mowed the yard...huge yard. Sounds strange but I loved watching him on his club cadet. He loves his mower😂itís like a huge toy for him. It even has headlights!! He made it in right before a huge thunderstorm hit. We could see lightning off in the distance when he was cutting at high speeds near the end. My weather channel app sent an alert of 45-55 miles per hour. It was a down pour like FL gets and didnít last long. I said add 100 miles per hour or so and youíll have a derecho. For me it was a little unsettling but it was over in about 15-20 minutes total. We showered and hit the hay after a bit of Chopped on Hulu. We got them hooked on this show in July. DIL and I love to cook/bake anyway. Little did we know Mother Nature would foil our Sunday plans....

Sunday...
We woke to no water Sunday morning. DS and DIL knew around midnight that power to their neighborhood pump house well was out. She called GA Power. It was back by 10 am tho but we did move our downtown Savannah day to Monday and Sunday became cooking and laundry day to have them set for the week. I made mask holders which their one cat was memorized by since it was ribbon and thread galore. DIL slept in since rarely does she get to💞then we worked on meatballs and I know have a delicious recipe for really healthy meatballs that Zeef (DH) loves. The day seemed to melt away faster than they do at Disney. We had everything accomplished for the week for dinners and lunches.

Friday night we were tired but yet didnít sleep all that great but I figured out it was probably their hallway night light. Saturday we slept much better with the door shut and no light. Sunday night was more quality sleep which was nice.

Itís HOT here. Holy cow. Zeef went for a walk and said how much cooler it was Saturday morning on his walk and the heat index was still 98 at around 10 am.

Monday was downtown Savannah and River Street. We set off around 8:15 since Savannah is about an hour drive. We found a place to park not too far from Turbine which is a relatively new place on River Street. Downtown Savannah is so beautiful with all the moss hanging from the trees and the tunnels it create with that canopy. DS and DIL were married at the Cathedral in August of 2018 and I fell in love with Savannah. All the while Iíve been working on Zeef for a revisit to really tour Savannah in February when itís COOLER. I want to do the trolley, the river boat and bum around when itís not blazing 🥵 hot! Mr. I Hate Traveling always has to be convinced the mask wearing in GA is very hit or miss and Statesboro is a hot spot I guess. It was HOT! So HOT! We kept our masks on for the most part and avoided crowded stores. It was not busy at all compared to our Friday evening down there in 2018 pre-Covid. Fun day and we hit River Street Sweets for some bear claws for my mom. Bought some bath bombs for DD and DIL. Leopold's ice cream had a 45 minute wait. Maybe in February the line wonít be so long. They noticed many shops gone from the area. Locally owned and chains. The Loft. Victoriaís Secret. Covid lockdown did them in. We hit a couple stores including Duck Donuts in Savannah but not in downtown before heading back and we missed the afternoon storm while walking as we had just made it to the car. Later that evening we had the delicious meatballs DIL had made the night before with Oven roasted zucchini spears.

The weekend was over in a blink. We loved that they were off 3 days because weíve only usually had one day off on a Saturday with them. It takes two days to reach their place driving from Iowa so flying to Sanford and driving up was a great twist to this trip. Zeef said he wouldnít drive it again so I worked and worked in an airfare plan. Flights out of the cornfields have been dramatically changed by Covid and the lack of air travel. We talked about how strange it was that our last trip to Disney was in January and they were with us And how much of life had changed.

Tuesday...
Work day for the kids and mental prep for Disney...Iím trying to remember all the changes but I guess Iíll just go with the flow and figure it out as we go. DIL left for work today and said itís freezing out. Itís 73 sheís lived in Savannah her entire life, can ya tell? I realized when writing this I hardly ever call DH by Bill. Zeef, grandpa (no grandkids just grand pets), William, Willy...and a whole host of nicknames...same with my kids. Oh well. Today we are picking up my purple glasses I ordered in July, picking up a few items at Kroger and visiting a place that carries Loungefly hopefully Iíll maintain self control I love Loungefly bags and wallets. I must remember the weight limits on Allegiant. They have a couple items Iíve wanted to see in person

But!!! I can always ship

Iím only not overwhelmingly sad today for leaving because tomorrow is Disney.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:02 AM   #17
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Tuesday Morning Update:
Well, I should always go with my gut. Always.
I knew I packed my hair dryer. Just knew it. I even wondered if TSA stole it but why would they? Maybe they moved stuff around and it was left out. Crazy thoughts but I just knew I packed it. My luggage looked exactly as I had packed it though with nothing out of place. Bill did buy one at Walmart for me so I didnít have to keep borrowing my DILís. Well, I just found it. I put it in with DHís black socks for cushioning in the big ziplock. I guess he thought it was the one he just bought since itís exactly the same. Youíd think he would wonder why I kept putting my hairdryer back in with his bag of socks after 4 nights but he never said a word.

Itís good to know I havenít completely lost my mind
Maybe Iíll leave it here...
I donít need it at Disney since thereís one in the room.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:48 PM   #18
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

We woke just before 5 am this morning naturally so started getting ready. We wanted to leave around 6 so weíd be out of the kidsí hair before they started getting ready for work. We had the car packed before they were up. We chatted a bit but not long and said out goodbyes. That part was sad. They both texted during the drive that they missed us. I wish we lived closer. But, we found a great way to get there on Allegiant in the future. It was an easy drive to their place. Itís so dark in rural America and at 6:30 kids were waiting at the bus stop. Thatís what happens when you live in the boonies. Waze was being weird hooked to the car so we just used it on the phone. After Bill actually turned on the lights we were goodWe hit a small slow down with construction on 95 near Jacksonville and then we were home free...or so I thought. For some reason shortly after ĎBrendaí (Waze voice) said continue for 85 miles that Wrong Way William decided to just randomly exit!! It was a short tour of downtown Jacksonville. I have to watch him like a hawk!! We fortunately were able to get back on 95 again. He said...it didnít tell me not to exit. It never does Dear...it never does. I opted for 417 and he hit Springs first. Like garage was closed so we went to Orange. We had no issues the rest of the way and arrived just before 11 am. It wasnít busy.

It was awesome to be on property again.

More later. Cooled off in the Land and Heading out again.

DVC lounge in Epcot is open from noon till 7 pm.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #19
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyorelover22 View Post
We woke just before 5 am this morning naturally so started getting ready. We wanted to leave around 6 so weíd be out of the kidsí hair before they started getting ready for work. We had the car packed before they were up. We chatted a bit but not long and said out goodbyes. That part was sad. They both texted during the drive that they missed us. I wish we lived closer. But, we found a great way to get there on Allegiant in the future. It was an easy drive to their place. Itís so dark in rural America and at 6:30 kids were waiting at the bus stop. Thatís what happens when you live in the boonies. Waze was being weird hooked to the car so we just used it on the phone. After Bill actually turned on the lights we were goodWe hit a small slow down with construction on 95 near Jacksonville and then we were home free...or so I thought. For some reason shortly after ĎBrendaí (Waze voice) said continue for 85 miles that Wrong Way William decided to just randomly exit!! It was a short tour of downtown Jacksonville. I have to watch him like a hawk!! We fortunately were able to get back on 95 again. He said...it didnít tell me not to exit. It never does Dear...it never does. I opted for 417 and he hit Springs first. Like garage was closed so we went to Orange. We had no issues the rest of the way and arrived just before 11 am. It wasnít busy.

It was awesome to be on property again.

More later. Cooled off in the Land and Heading out again.

DVC lounge in Epcot is open from noon till 7 pm.
Glad you made it safely. As an FYI I have had more issues with Waze in FL. A lot of my FL loved ones have too so we use other maps instead. Not sure what about FL is bad for Waze.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #20
Rozzie
Add-on Aficionado

Kim I am so happy to hear you finally are on property!!!!! The magic still lives and I know you will find it and embrace it.

Enjoy your trip!!
Rozzie is offline   Reply With Quote