home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-12-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
wdw1972
Grand Villa

Default Sue's Riviera Weekend - August 2020

Who/When/Where:

Who: Sue (61), DVC Member
Dates: August 13 – 16, 2020
Resort: Disney’s Riviera Resort
Experience: Very Experienced – but only 2nd stay at Riviera

INTRODUCTION:
I had my first Riviera stay in early March, just before the world shut down over COVID-19. The trip had a rough start, and my “preferred view” studio was a huge disappointment for the number of points (crappy view of timeshares off in the distance). At some point shortly after that trip I saw availability for a tower studio, and grabbed it, figuring I’d give the resort another try.

The tower studios should have a decent view, although now there won’t be any fireworks to see – sigh. These rooms sleep up to 2 people, with a murphy bed that folds down over the sofa. For a solo, they should be fine, but we’ll see what I think after getting there <g>. The biggest drawback is they are tiny – 5 square feet smaller than a value resort room! The bathroom is huge (and gorgeous), so that means the rest of the room is even smaller than something at All Stars or Pop.

When I booked, I was pretty sure my silver annual pass would still be blocked out, but I wasn’t really interested in the parks in this heat/humidity anyway. This is a short trip, so I planned to enjoy the pool each morning (for some sun – Gainesville living means pasty white skin, similar to a corpse) and with the Skyliner I can easily travel over to the Boardwalk area. Eventually I learned my pass is NOT blocked out during this trip, and since the Taste of Food & Wine Festival is going on at Epcot, I decided to book park reservations over there for all three days. I’ll stick with the morning at the pool plan, then head to Epcot later – possibly waiting until early evening/dusk.

Since I booked a tower studio, I couldn’t invite Amanda & Ari to join me, as we’d be 1 above the occupancy, and also I’m not sharing the only bed. They (along with Chris and Amanda’s mom) ended up booking a few nights at the Contemporary and will arrive Saturday, so I’ll get to see them in Epcot that day. I come in late Thursday afternoon, and leave Sunday morning to get back to work at our temperature checkpoint that afternoon.

I didn’t book any restaurants, since I prefer Food & Wine offerings. I was hoping the skyliner to Epcot runs early in the morning, as I wanted like to get the oooey gooey breakfast sandwich from Boardwalk Bakery one morning. Since Epcot doesn’t open until 11:00 a.m. I didn’t know when that line will start running. However, many Disney menus are shortened, and when I checked Boardwalk Bakery menu online 11 days before the trip, I saw only the other 2 breakfast sandwiches were being sold - bummer. Nothing at Riviera or Pop Century really appeals (hate Caribbean Beach), so I’ll most likely bring bacon & eggs to have breakfast in the studio.

The last few days leading up to the trip have been even busier than normal at work – I leave by 5-5:30 each night, but I’m in by 4:45-5:00 a.m. plus shorter days on Saturday & Sunday. The timing of this trip ended up being awful, but I don’t want to lose/waste the points. Hopefully the stress of being away & dealing with stuff remotely doesn’t offset the enjoyment!

The plans so far are:
Thursday 8/13: Drive to WDW, Food & Wine
Friday 8/14: Pool, Food & Wine
Saturday 8/15: Pool, Food & Wine
Sunday 8/16: Drive to Gainesville

The last couple of trips MouseOwners wouldn't let me post (or even access the site) from Disney, so if that happens again the rest of the report won't be posted until Sunday.

wdw1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #2
MickeyFan787
Two Bedroom

Hi Sue! So glad to see you are visiting now, I am following along for the frank review of conditions. I hope you have a safe and fun trip!
MickeyFan787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
bubster
Grand Villa

Looking forward to your report.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:37 PM   #4
Raspus
Two Bedroom

Hope you have a great trip. Looking forward to your report.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
dschwarzbauer
Grand Villa

Default Riviera

Staying in a tower studio next year so I'm interested in your report!
dschwarzbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw1972 View Post
Who/When/Where:

Who: Sue (61), DVC Member
Dates: August 13 – 16, 2020
Resort: Disney’s Riviera Resort
Experience: Very Experienced – but only 2nd stay at Riviera

INTRODUCTION:
...I was hoping the skyliner to Epcot runs early in the morning, as I wanted like to get the oooey gooey breakfast sandwich from Boardwalk Bakery one morning. Since Epcot doesn’t open until 11:00 a.m. I didn’t know when that line will start running. However, many Disney menus are shortened, and when I checked Boardwalk Bakery menu online 11 days before the trip, I saw only the other 2 breakfast sandwiches were being sold - bummer. Nothing at Riviera or Pop Century really appeals (hate Caribbean Beach), so I’ll most likely bring bacon & eggs to have breakfast in the studio.

The last few days leading up to the trip have been even busier than normal at work – I leave by 5-5:30 each night, but I’m in by 4:45-5:00 a.m. plus shorter days on Saturday & Sunday. The timing of this trip ended up being awful, but I don’t want to lose/waste the points. Hopefully the stress of being away & dealing with stuff remotely doesn’t offset the enjoyment!

The plans so far are:
Thursday 8/13: Drive to WDW, Food & Wine
Friday 8/14: Pool, Food & Wine
Saturday 8/15: Pool, Food & Wine
Sunday 8/16: Drive to Gainesville

The last couple of trips MouseOwners wouldn't let me post (or even access the site) from Disney, so if that happens again the rest of the report won't be posted until Sunday.
I just read on Disney Food Blog that they didn't have the breakfast sandwiches at Boardwalk Bakery right now.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Enjoy!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:09 PM   #8
SnowWhite4
Grand Villa

Following along. Have fun!
Old 08-12-2020, 09:59 PM   #9
PirateLinda
Two Bedroom

Have a great time! Looking forward to your trip report. Hope you get to decompress.

Upcoming Trips:
3/21 - 3/27 SSR
9/30 - 10/4 OKW
PirateLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #10
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Best wishes for a great trip! I'm looking forward to the report.

Amy's MouseOwner Trip Report List

Amy's Author Page - A Year of Disney, Camping Disney & Building Awesome Vacations

Amy's Blog
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote