home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Non-Disney Accommodations in Orlando
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #11
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreamingDisney View Post
A friend and I stayed at the Hard Rock a few years ago so our daughters who are BFF could check out Harry Potter. It was a “different bubble” than Disney but very nice and the tickets in the package included the front of the line (or whatever it’s called) saved a ton of time waiting in lines! Only certain hotels offered this as part of their package, if I remember correctly Hard Rock was the “cheapest” of the hotels on the list.
When I have checked Hard Rock is always the most expensive. Royal Pacific is the cheapest. I had a room booked there, but cancelled. I have decided that between Covid and my new role as my mother's caregiver there's no theme park visits in my future.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #12
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
Looks like we have a new forum and since a lot of people on here apparently haven't ventured outside the bubble in a while I thought I would post a couple of options

1. Luxury JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes. Very nice hotels, with a lazy river. Food prices are high as you might expect but comparable to Disney. Food was excellent. THey have a bus to Disney but I found it an easy drive. At one point they had a deal where you could reserve a room at the Ritz that came with use of a Mercedes while you were there (not sure that's still an option). Pricing generally less than Disney unless there's a convention.

2. Gaylord hotel Great theme, but HUGE place. Rooms are nice but not outstanding. EASY commute to Disney but honestly I would only stay there if I was in the area for a meeting taking place there.

3. Waldorf Bonnet Creek. Another lazy river hotel. Great service, great food. If you go for one of the RunDIsney events they run great service to and from the race. Basically on Disney

4. Marriott Village. I like these hotels, but the fact that they now charge for parking has made me move on. I understand it's the norm at 'deluxe' hotels but Courtyard, Fairfield and SpringHill suites while nice are hardly 'deluxe" Great location for outlet mall, but a little longer commute to Disney.

5. Sheraton Lake Buena Vista - Give this a pass. Nice pool, but it used to be a Days Inn and the upgrade wasn't impressive. Subpar rooms and service. Decent location however.

5. Portofino at Universal. Very nice resort. Service was better than Disney Deluxe, pricing slightly lower and you can't beat the Express Pass perk for staying onsite. Boat or walk to parks.

6. Orlando World Center Marriott - This one is on my "never again" list. Bad service, paying to park so far away you have to take a shuttle and so so rooms.

7. Town Place Suites Flamingo Crossing. Good location for park access, kitchenette, can have two bedrooms. It's been a few years, but there were limited food options close by.

8. Boheminan Hotel Celebration Great location in Celebration. LOUSY service. Good rooms. Probably won't stay there again, but it's a great location to explore Celebration and there are lots of good food options.

You can tell we have a lot of Marriott options, I collect their points for European vacations
Thanks for the reviews/info. We've stayed at the Marriott village in the past. Didn't know they charged for parking now. Also watched Flamingo Crossings come about, and have considered staying there on arrival nights. Glad to know stay was good.
Hope to try Portofino on future Universal stays....hard to get hubby to stay anywhere but Royal Pacfic, but I want to try Portofino
Appreciate all the other info. We often find ourselves with a night, sometimes two, that might need to be offsite. Also considering a future trip that doesn't include Disney resorts, more focused on SeaWorld, other places, etc, and never know where to look. or what other places are like.
Jedimom3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:59 AM   #13
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
CarolA, can you check out the Margaritaville resort and review it? It looks like a fun place, and is close to AK.

Or if another MO has already tried it out, tell us what you think, please and thank you!
This would be a good thread start in this forum since it's resort specific. Those who know may not read this thread, and I know some MO's have mentioned looking at Margaritaville in the past.

I forgot about it, but it does look like a neat option for an off-property that is still very much a resort. Don't know how pricing compares, though, for rentals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post

In the "just barely offsite" category there is the Hilton hotel on Hotel Plaza Blvd that is literally right across the street from Disney Springs. It's quite nice, and if you haven't noticed, there is now a pedestrian bridge across Buena Vista. It is closer to DS than anywhere else you can stay, except possibly the closest Congress Park rooms at Saratoga Springs.
One of our close friends has stayed there several times and likes it - even got it on Priceline for $60 more than once. That's a steal for a Disney trip. I haven't heard much about in the last few years, though, so I don't know if it's quality has held up.

I would never stay at a Hotel Blvd resort without a car because the buses are just not flexible enough, but it is indeed a great location for DS.

There is also a hotel right across from SSR's back entrance. Can't remember it's name. We had friends who stayed there once, too, and I walked over to hang with them for a bit, so it's also close to DS. Unfortunately, it looked and felt like a beige high-rise, but the rooms we large.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #14
Maddismom
One Bedroom

Great Reviews!
I've stayed at the Gaylord a couple of times and LOVED it. Primary trip was for business but added on a couple days and enjoyed the Adults Only pool and great restaurants and spa on site. Got upgraded (maybe due to Bonvoy Marriott status) so our room was larger and nice. Didn't have a car so used Uber to get to DS and felt busses were not as frequent as I would have liked.

Also stayed at Waldorf Astoria Bonnet Creek and room was nice and pool was wonderful. Restaurants pricey as expected and bus transportation not often so we used Uber to DS.

Would do a repeat stay at both again and want to try the JW as well...
Maddismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #15
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
This would be a good thread start in this forum since it's resort specific. Those who know may not read this thread, and I know some MO's have mentioned looking at Margaritaville in the past.

I forgot about it, but it does look like a neat option for an off-property that is still very much a resort. Don't know how pricing compares, though, for rentals.

Dirk
I’ll do that as soon as I wake up! Night, y’all...
Old 09-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #16
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Not sure Disney Springs is considered off site but we have enjoyed our stays at
The Double Tree and Buena Vista Palace.

Both were a few years back. Did not care for the busses there but the buses in Disney Springs were very reliable and regular.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #17
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post
Not sure Disney Springs is considered off site but we have enjoyed our stays at
The Double Tree and Buena Vista Palace.

Both were a few years back. Did not care for the busses there but the buses in Disney Springs were very reliable and regular.
I have a vague memory that Disney owns the land along Hotel Resorts Blvd out to 535, but of course not the hotels themselves. Maybe someone can verify or correct. As to what is "off site", that's a coin flip for that street.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:43 PM   #18
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
I have a vague memory that Disney owns the land along Hotel Resorts Blvd out to 535, but of course not the hotels themselves. Maybe someone can verify or correct. As to what is "off site", that's a coin flip for that street.
Yep. Hotel Blvd is Disney property. Probably land leases to the hotels.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:56 PM   #19
LOVINDVC
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

One of our close friends has stayed there several times and likes it - even got it on Priceline for $60 more than once. That's a steal for a Disney trip. I haven't heard much about in the last few years, though, so I don't know if it's quality has held up.

I would never stay at a Hotel Blvd resort without a car because the buses are just not flexible enough, but it is indeed a great location for DS.

There is also a hotel right across from SSR's back entrance. Can't remember it's name. We had friends who stayed there once, too, and I walked over to hang with them for a bit, so it's also close to DS. Unfortunately, it looked and felt like a beige high-rise, but the rooms we large.

Dirk
The Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista is a terrific place. Great location, just cross the bridge to DS, two huge pools, in-house dining selections are good. We stayed there a couple years ago. It is our off-site go to.

SSR OWNERS SINCE 2004
LOVINDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #20
MMC1
Grand Villa

I really appreciate this . I love Bonnet Creek Hilton for non -Disney relax weekend trip. The lobby upper level indoor / outdoor bar view of pool and great thunderstorms plus fancy fire pit flame on both sides gives plenty of seating. Excellent service . Also outdoor pool bar has 2 fire pits and covered tables with great Bar. Love walking to Waldorf past golf course.

I had 4 July booked at Margaritaville but cancelled figuring Fireworks were cancelled everywhere but that resort area Sunset Walk still had them . If Disney cancels fireworks for 2021 I will def book Margaritaville Resorts . I want to walk around the cottage neighborhood . Some of them are 3 story and a few have thatch roofs !
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote