home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #61
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

In reading everyone's responses, I kind of see where different vacation styles play into whether one likes Disney transportation or not. As I said before, we have met some great people along the way with our transporting and I do love seeing things (resorts, people, even construction to see the forthcoming changes) while being chauffeured around. So, while in transit, I guess I consider it a part of my entire vacation. But reading various anti Disney transportation threads I see a pattern of "wasting time" and "getting there faster" which leads me think there is another vacation style out there that the focus is specifically on what is planned, and the "getting there" is not included. Very interesting to see how many different attitudes there are while in ones happy place.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #62
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
In reading everyone's responses, I kind of see where different vacation styles play into whether one likes Disney transportation or not. As I said before, we have met some great people along the way with our transporting and I do love seeing things (resorts, people, even construction to see the forthcoming changes) while being chauffeured around. So, while in transit, I guess I consider it a part of my entire vacation. But reading various anti Disney transportation threads I see a pattern of "wasting time" and "getting there faster" which leads me think there is another vacation style out there that the focus is specifically on what is planned, and the "getting there" is not included. Very interesting to see how many different attitudes there are while in ones happy place.
The buses do get a bad rap. For the most part riding the bus is just fine. If we can walk we do so because we're moving, feeling productive and less 'lemming-like'.

Ok, I admit it, the humongous baby coaches makes me feel badly for every poor sucker that is dragging one aboard. Sometimes you can tell the ones who have never used one before and cannot figure out how it folds along with those that try to fold one with every extra gadget they could purchase attached to it followed by the person who is just so embarrassed about folding it but it's still taking up a maximum amount of space. I always walk to the very back of the bus to avoid watching the debacle because their angst is dinging my vibe. Then there's the kids that have obviously no idea now to sit still without be strapped to their seat with their mystified confused adult that can't figure out what is the problem - really, the need to explain to the kid that they need to pick a seat and remain there on their own will until the transport stop didn't occur? Afteralll, how are they suppose to know this when they're strapped into seats on moving vehicles all their life. Which are only topped by the parents who should be breaking their day to let the kids nap but instead are hoping they'll fall asleep before the bus stops so they can toss the kid in the stroller and continue their day - which means we all get to listen to the kids emote and the parent either address it, ignore it or lose it themselves. Yeah, I'd rather walk.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #63
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
An example -- when I took my token bus ride during my recent trip, from WL back to Epcot, we were heading south toward (or actually on) World Drive when something strange happened. We took some exit in the construction area, and turned back around and went to Fort Wilderness!

This is the adventure of taking a bus. You never know when there will be an unadvertised intermediate stop, which is a polite way of saying you're never really sure where the bus goes.

After our stop at Fort Wilderness, I'm a little foggy about what happened next, but my best guess is that we went south on Vista Dr and Bonnet Creek Parkway to Epcot Drive and then to Epcot. Quite an adventure! Though in retrospect, the boat and two monorails was in fact the better option.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #64
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachclubmum View Post
Last trip I was so happy to see that a couple of the valet lanes had been changed over to self parking for the villas. MUCH easier to get a spot now...more like the parking at BCV.
That is, indeed, excellent news. We're back in September.

Cheers.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #65
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

I can verify that the extra row at BC is for real and very welcome.
When I checked in at BC they asked me if I had a car. I don't recall that being asked in the past, though it's possible it happened. When I asked about a possible parking charge, the CM recited to me the rule that exempted me from the charge, so they are clearly up to speed on that.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:03 PM   #66
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:
I wonder how the differing vacation styles play against whether the family has been to Disney a million times, or theyíre relatively new (including new DVC members).
Sometimes we still feel that we need to rush to get places, but thatís usually because we didnít give ourselves enough time to get to an ADR, or our 4th FastPass is available in a different park. Otherwise weíre in relaxation-mode and enjoy the ride.
Sitting in the last row in the bus where the engine is makes those chilly nights back from Disney Springs a little better. Sitting under the dripping AC in the monorail is not fun..
Old 05-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #67
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
I wonder how the differing vacation styles play against whether the family has been to Disney a million times, or theyíre relatively new (including new DVC members).
Sometimes we still feel that we need to rush to get places, but thatís usually because we didnít give ourselves enough time to get to an ADR, or our 4th FastPass is available in a different park. Otherwise weíre in relaxation-mode and enjoy the ride.
Even though we've been a bunch, I'm in a hurry if we've decided to rope drop. Also, I just don't like waiting around for anything (New York Type A). If I'm going somewhere, I just want to get there.

Once I get the rope drop stuff done, though, I get much more relaxed and very little matters.

The other things that matter is the F&W Culinary and Beverage demos. If we're at another park and need to get there, we need to get there. Then it becomes chill.

Cheers.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #68
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Even though we've been a bunch, I'm in a hurry if we've decided to rope drop. Also, I just don't like waiting around for anything (New York Type A). If I'm going somewhere, I just want to get there.

Once I get the rope drop stuff done, though, I get much more relaxed and very little matters.

The other things that matter is the F&W Culinary and Beverage demos. If we're at another park and need to get there, we need to get there. Then it becomes chill.

Cheers.
Agreed - NY Type A family

New to DVC but doing Disney since literally as long as I can remember. My earliest memories are trip right before my 3rd birthday, honeymooned at disney we are celebrating my sons 21st bday next trip and itís his 20th trip so I donít consider us newbies...

Out biggest issue is buses out of parks. One can adjust what time to arrive at parks much easier IMO but the buses back at park closing are horrible.

When we are ready to leave we go..walk to car turn key done...As brp said if Iím going somewhere I just want to get there waiting to leave is not for me...
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #69
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
Ok, I admit it, the humongous baby coaches makes me feel badly for every poor sucker that is dragging one aboard. Sometimes you can tell the ones who have never used one before and cannot figure out how it folds along with those that try to fold one with every extra gadget they could purchase attached to it followed by the person who is just so embarrassed about folding it but it's still taking up a maximum amount of space.
And we're always suitably impressed by those that either have tons of experience or have practiced. Last trip - bing! Baby out while standing at the door to the bus Then wham! Folder grabbed at one spot and fold up neat as could be! I swear it took them 5 seconds in total to do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
An example -- when I took my token bus ride during my recent trip, from WL back to Epcot, we were heading south toward (or actually on) World Drive when something strange happened. We took some exit in the construction area, and turned back around and went to Fort Wilderness!

This is the adventure of taking a bus. You never know when there will be an unadvertised intermediate stop, which is a polite way of saying you're never really sure where the bus goes.

After our stop at Fort Wilderness, I'm a little foggy about what happened next, but my best guess is that we went south on Vista Dr and Bonnet Creek Parkway to Epcot Drive and then to Epcot. Quite an adventure! Though in retrospect, the boat and two monorails was in fact the better option.
The Epcot bus from WL always stops at FW (unless it were packed I'd guess. Same on the return - it goes Epcot-WL-FW. So, not so strange!
Old 05-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #70
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen99 View Post
Agreed - NY Type A family

New to DVC but doing Disney since literally as long as I can remember. My earliest memories are trip right before my 3rd birthday, honeymooned at disney we are celebrating my sons 21st bday next trip and it’s his 20th trip so I don’t consider us newbies...

Out biggest issue is buses out of parks. One can adjust what time to arrive at parks much easier IMO but the buses back at park closing are horrible.

When we are ready to leave we go..walk to car turn key done...As brp said if I’m going somewhere I just want to get there waiting to leave is not for me...
I'm with you on those points, not NY but still Type A.
BTW I love it when someone says "literally", and literally means "literally"!