home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #41
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter929 View Post
I think I will hibernate entire 2020 and probably a good chunk of 2021.
And when this hell blows over I will go on a vacation and will not go back home until I get really homesick
Our current plan is to break out in April with a trip to US and then back to WDW in July. Time will tell, but we're optimistic.

That said, we wouldn't go anywhere near a cruise right now. Between the higher potential of infection and the possibility of being stuck in a state-room for weeks on end, that's simply a bridge too far!
Old 11-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #42
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Vaccine to me makes it more likely there will be cruises this summer. Probably still a lot of restrictions, but at least we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:10 PM   #43
carolina_yankee
Administrator

With soaring COVID numbers and this cruise ship having a COVID outbreak, Iím not expecting cruising to start any time soon. Maybe summer at the earliest, but those are for the guinea pigs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...ribbean-covid/

Dirk

Old 11-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #44
amydevoe
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
With soaring COVID numbers and this cruise ship having a COVID outbreak, Iím not expecting cruising to start any time soon. Maybe summer at the earliest, but those are for the guinea pigs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...ribbean-covid/

Dirk

We just saw the 'Cruise with Dave and Ben' YouTube video about this. They are on board. They had 2 earlier videos from the same sailing and it seem the ship did everything right to try to prevent this from happening. But you don't know if everyone on board quarantined before leaving the UK.
amydevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #45
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydevoe View Post
We just saw the 'Cruise with Dave and Ben' YouTube video about this. They are on board. They had 2 earlier videos from the same sailing and it seem the ship did everything right to try to prevent this from happening. But you don't know if everyone on board quarantined before leaving the UK.
That's the problem. There is no way cruising works without herd immunity or guaranteed treatment. It's an aerosolized virus with a lag-time before symptoms appear or tests show infection. You can do everything right and still get it if you are in a room with other people. Protection mitigates spread, not eliminates.

I think most here know I desperately want all this to be over and I don't have a problem with going out to masked, socially distant things, but when it comes to cruise ships as closed systems of people in each others space for several days at least, one infect person will most likely create an outbreak.

Dirk

Old 11-13-2020, 02:55 PM   #46
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
That's the problem. There is no way cruising works without herd immunity or guaranteed treatment. It's an aerosolized virus with a lag-time before symptoms appear or tests show infection. You can do everything right and still get it if you are in a room with other people. Protection mitigates spread, not eliminates.

I think most here know I desperately want all this to be over and I don't have a problem with going out to masked, socially distant things, but when it comes to cruise ships as closed systems of people in each others space for several days at least, one infect person will most likely create an outbreak.

Dirk
Agree. This thing is just too contagious. Just another anecdote from someone I know: he believed he caught it from the hospital he was working at. He attended a small birthday party and infected everyone there. It wasn't until several days later he started experiencing symptoms and was able to get a rapid test that confirmed infection. He reached out to everyone he came into contact with but by that time he had already infected over 10 people. He described the symptoms as the worst flu ever and ended up getting steroids but avoided hospitalization and has recovered.

Given that it can spread so easily from pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic people that may not be picked up by testing, cruising is just too risky right now. Fingers crossed a vaccine can be made widely available sooner than later.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:37 PM   #47
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado

We have a cruise booked for April 30, 2021. I also booked BLT for the same time because, truthfully, I don't see this cruise happening. We've already received an email from DCL saying we have until 15 days prior to cruise date to cancel so that indicate they don't think the cruise is going to happen either.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #48
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
We have a cruise booked for April 30, 2021. I also booked BLT for the same time because, truthfully, I don't see this cruise happening. We've already received an email from DCL saying we have until 15 days prior to cruise date to cancel so that indicate they don't think the cruise is going to happen either.

We had a mid July 2021 cruise and moved it a long time ago for the same reason. General public vaccinations aren't slated to start until the spring. I agree, that probably will not happen. We moved our cruise to Nov 2021, but I am not confident that I want to go then either.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #49
CAS9RN3
Studio

My dream cruise is booked for the end of July. I am SO hoping it is a go! As a back up we also have one booked at the end of November and my sister and her husband are also booked.
CAS9RN3 is offline   Reply With Quote