home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #21
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Beautiful family photos! Thanks again for taking the time to share. Very nice on the robe.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:43 AM   #22
Kuky
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Did you do any other activities on the daily ‘Iwa? For example any of the free ones like movie night on the lawn or storytelling by the fire pit? Or premium ones like ‘ohana T-shirt stamping or star gazing? The last time we came, 5 years ago, we did quite a few activities. We learned to hula dance, learned how to play the ukulele, put together a small toy sized outrigger canoe and decorated the sail. We then got to float it in the ocean. We did two different crafting series: making a luahula bracelet and feather flowers. They are wonderful tangible memories from our last trip. This time around it feels like there are less activities. Makes me wonder how often they change.
Kuky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #23
beemertec
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuky View Post
Did you do any other activities on the daily ‘Iwa? For example any of the free ones like movie night on the lawn or storytelling by the fire pit? Or premium ones like ‘ohana T-shirt stamping or star gazing? The last time we came, 5 years ago, we did quite a few activities. We learned to hula dance, learned how to play the ukulele, put together a small toy sized outrigger canoe and decorated the sail. We then got to float it in the ocean. We did two different crafting series: making a luahula bracelet and feather flowers. They are wonderful tangible memories from our last trip. This time around it feels like there are less activities. Makes me wonder how often they change.
I did a couple of the tours on-site. DW grew up in Hawaii so she wasn't interested, and the kids only wanted to hang out at the pool.

Our last night, we went to the stargazing. I had to talk them all into even doing that. Once there, we all enjoyed it. We had 4 planets that were in good viewing distance. I would recommend it, but see how the sky is before you sign up and ask how many are signed up. We did the 8 PM and there were 14 people including a handful of young children, maybe 3-6 years old. They had a hard time looking through the eyepiece properly and kept bumping the telescope requiring corrections. This meant that we didn't get to see as much as we may have.

As we were leaving, no one was coming up for the 9 PM session. On one hand, that would have meant much more time to look through the telescopes, which is a good thing. On the other hand, the wind was picking up and that has a major effect on clarity so everything would have been more blurry. It is something that I would do again in a heartbeat even though the kids and wife may not.

As far as other activities, it was difficult to plan anything with in-laws visiting. MIL stayed with us, but SIL lives on Oahu and BIL was staying in Waikiki. They both like to stay out late and sleep late. We are the opposite.

beemertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #24
skywatcher1206
One Bedroom

Default Great Report

Thanks for sharing! It sounds like it was a great trip. On my bucket list for my family someday.
skywatcher1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #25
Jesper
One Bedroom

Great report, love the pictures. We were there a few months ago on our first trip to HI, and thought it was fantastic. You said you'd been to better resorts. Would you mind sharing a few names of what are the best resorts you've been at in HI? (We're planning a trip in 2020, but not to Aulani again)
Old 09-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #26
reblzmom
Grand Villa

What a great report. I cant decide if I am more envious of the Aulani part or of all those miles you must have to get the Delta One seats.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #27
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemertec View Post

I took this picture because I thought it was funny. Can you see what I am laughing at?
5.11 next to a 7/11?
mustinjourney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #28
beemertec
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
Great report, love the pictures. We were there a few months ago on our first trip to HI, and thought it was fantastic. You said you'd been to better resorts. Would you mind sharing a few names of what are the best resorts you've been at in HI? (We're planning a trip in 2020, but not to Aulani again)
They were on Maui, but the Sheraton Blackrock, Maui Outrigger (Wailea) and Renaissance (Wailea) all made us feel more welcome and special. All of those trips were over 10 years ago though. The Wailea resorts were almost 15 years ago.

Of course, the best reception is always at my MIL's house. The driveway is blocked, canopies are set up, and 30 plus feet of tables are set up with at least 12 feet being full of homemade Filipino food. There is not really any hotel that can compare with that so it doesn't count for purposes of this comparison. I am just rubbing it in that I get super special treatment on Maui.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #29
beemertec
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblzmom View Post
What a great report. I cant decide if I am more envious of the Aulani part or of all those miles you must have to get the Delta One seats.
We were very lucky. When we were first looking, the actual cost of the seats was running $3000-$4000 each. I use Chase and my card gives me a 50% bonus on my points if I book travel through Chase. One day I checked and the seats were just over $2000 each. With my bonus, they cost around 135,000 points per seat. It is still a lot of points, but we do as much of our business spending as we can on various Chase cards for the points and transfer them to the personal card for flights. We average about 1 million points per year which is worth about $15000 in travel.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #30
beemertec
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
5.11 next to a 7/11?
Yep. My son looked over and asked where the 6-11 was.