home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #61
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking Thanks for the heads up

I was able to re-book one leg of HHI trip Spring Break (March 16) for 3800 less points.

WooHoo.

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:58 PM   #62
reblzmom
Grand Villa

I check often since you never know what they will do. We had an early morning flight down because the later flight was very expensive. Looked about a month ago and the price was now cheaper than the early flight. Changed it, got points back. This also got me direct instead of through Atlanta. I happened to look last week for our flight home on 10/6 - the flight at noon was now 6k points (for 2) cheaper than our 10AM flight. Yes please. Made that change too. We do buy the EBCI so I realize we will be later in the queue but, oh well.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #63
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking Does it matter when u check?

Im wondering if its bettter to check during the week.

I remeber reading pricing can be better on Tues or Wednesday verses the weekend.

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #64
TexasChick
Grand Villa

So this is weird...my MIL is going on a trip with us. She couldn’t book her flights until late on the morning of the schedule release. They went up a ton by the time she booked. This morning one of her legs of the trip went down by 4000 points. When she tried to rebook for 4000 points less, it said no change. She called me and asked me to look into it because she’s out of town, and had to do something. I tried, and the same thing happened. I was staring at the flight at 4000 points less as a new booking, but no refund if changed. I called SWA, and they said they couldn’t see the lower fare at all. The person suggested I book the lower fare as a one-way and cancel that leg on the RT ticket making that a separate one-way ticket. That’s what we did, and it worked. Also, it said there were only 3 tickets left at the lower points price before we booked it for her. Now, it says there are 2 tickets left, but SWA couldn’t see that either on their end. What in the world?!? Anyone else ever have this happen to them?

Last edited by TexasChick; 09-15-2018 at 04:36 PM.
TexasChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #65
BobParr
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbahamadada View Post
I use MO as a proxy for monitoring SWA price reductions. Whenever I see a post indicating a drop in fares, I'll check mine.

I've learned over the years that their is no point in checking Spring Break dates, those prices only seem to go up. Other than that . . . you can have great success/luck catching price drops.
Generally, that is the case. However, the flights I just rebooked (with the 5K drop in points PP) were over spring break.

Rare, but it happens.
BobParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #66
Themag5
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
So this is weird...my MIL is going on a trip with us. She couldnít book her flights until late on the morning of the schedule release. They went up a ton by the time she booked. This morning one of her legs of the trip went down by 4000 points. When she tried to rebook for 4000 points less, it said no change. She called me and asked me to look into it because sheís out of town, and had to do something. I tried, and the same thing happened. I was staring at the flight at 4000 points less as a new booking, but no refund if changed. I called SWA, and they said they couldnít see the lower fare at all. The person suggested I book the lower fare as a one-way and cancel that leg on the RT ticket making that a separate one-way ticket. Thatís what we did, and it worked. Also, it said there were only 3 tickets left at the lower points price before we booked it for her. Now, it says there are 2 tickets left, but SWA couldnít see that either on their end. What in the world?!? Anyone else ever have this happen to them?
I just had this happen to me the other day for a February trip. The one leg of the trip was 185 for weeks and said three left. When I called to book, she said she could only see that they were $200. I had on my screen the $185. No way did that make sense, I had been looking at that for a long time...could not be a coincidence that that exact time I called someone got the flight for 185. So weird.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #67
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themag5 View Post
I just had this happen to me the other day for a February trip. The one leg of the trip was 185 for weeks and said three left. When I called to book, she said she could only see that they were $200. I had on my screen the $185. No way did that make sense, I had been looking at that for a long time...could not be a coincidence that that exact time I called someone got the flight for 185. So weird.
Itís definitely some kind of disconnect. It still says 2 left at 13,190 which is what itís said since this morning. Even after I booked her one leg separately, when they canceled the one leg of the RT, I was still seeing 13,190, and they couldnít see it. I had asked them to check again. So weird. Itís a lot easier with points to just mess with it because itís only $5.60 that go into travel funds. For a cash ticket, it would be harder.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #68
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

Quote:
So this is weird...my MIL is going on a trip with us. She couldnít book her flights until late on the morning of the schedule release. They went up a ton by the time she booked. This morning one of her legs of the trip went down by 4000 points. When she tried to rebook for 4000 points less, it said no change. She called me and asked me to look into it because sheís out of town, and had to do something. I tried, and the same thing happened. I was staring at the flight at 4000 points less as a new booking, but no refund if changed. I called SWA, and they said they couldnít see the lower fare at all. The person suggested I book the lower fare as a one-way and cancel that leg on the RT ticket making that a separate one-way ticket. Thatís what we did, and it worked. Also, it said there were only 3 tickets left at the lower points price before we booked it for her. Now, it says there are 2 tickets left, but SWA couldnít see that either on their end. What in the world?!? Anyone else ever have this happen to them?
I have had this experience several times, with cash and with points. The workaround has been to book as a new itinerary while the fare shows up online, and then cancel the previous itinerary for travel funds. The first time this happened, I ended up losing out on a substantial fare credit for four tickets because I called in to SW and they weren't able to modify. By the time the workaround was shared, the flights were booked at the lower fare and it wasn't worth reticketing at the new price. On the other hand, with the workaround, I have gotten credits in excess of $100 fare difference, and while it's frustrating to have to pay twice, I always parlay the travel funds into a new trip.
2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; PVB; VGF; PVB; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ AS; 1980s ~ FW, Cont.
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #69
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
I had that happen when we were trying to get home ahead of Irma last year. I could see the seats but I couldn't modify my ticket. SWA couldn't see anything, then the seats were gone. I looked again later and they were back. Booked them as a new ticket and called SWA to get them to make the change. I got chastised by the agent for not modifying. I explained what happened and she admitted she would have done the same thing. She then rearranged everything but it was very stressful.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #70
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblzmom View Post
I had that happen when we were trying to get home ahead of Irma last year. I could see the seats but I couldn't modify my ticket. SWA couldn't see anything, then the seats were gone. I looked again later and they were back. Booked them as a new ticket and called SWA to get them to make the change. I got chastised by the agent for not modifying. I explained what happened and she admitted she would have done the same thing. She then rearranged everything but it was very stressful.
The "chastising" comment reminded me that one SW agent told me that they could refund a newly booked, lower fare ticket and modify the existing reservation to that fare, if they are notified within 24 hours of system glitch happening. Not sure if that's true; could be like when you call in to MS and get different answers depending on who you get
2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; PVB; VGF; PVB; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ AS; 1980s ~ FW, Cont.
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote