home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #11
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
Please share what you end up deciding. I wish I had the time to test them out...only thing I have time for is reading this board!
I will! There are so many reviews out there, it’s hard to know where to start. My challenge is I have to find something I like AND that Jim “password management, what password management?” will use!

Dirk
Old 07-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #12
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I will! There are so many reviews out there, it’s hard to know where to start. My challenge is I have to find something I like AND that Jim “password management, what password management?” will use!

Dirk
From the link I saw some "free" managers. Let us know if you do go with a "free" one and how user friendly it is.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #13
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
Please share what you end up deciding. I wish I had the time to test them out...only thing I have time for is reading this board!
I've installed 1Password, Dashlane and Keeper and have paid for Dashlane and Keeper as trials.

This article from NY Times The Wirecutter was really helpful:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...word-managers/

They recommend 1Password for paid or LastPass for free, and especially recommend 1Password for Apple users.

I like Dashlane's layout and ease of use the best. I thought 1Password had a trick up its sleeve for iOS devices, but turns out I can do the same thing with any password management app.

It will come down to Dashlane or Keeper for me, and I suspect I won't be wrong either way, though $35 richer for Keeper compared to Dashlane. (They gave me a huge discount on a family plan when I registered but didn't complete the purchase because I got distracted. Within a minute or two I got a "Wait! Come back! Here's 25% off!" email, so I said "sure.")

Keeper has better 2 Factor Authorization features, which can be a bit aggressive, and I'm not sure I need them. I need to check settings. Dashlane seems to be easier to initiate any time I need to get into it.

Keeper is clearly more secure than anybody else because of the way they do things, but that might be like saying it's the difference between NSA and CIA, so does it matter?

I do like that both have easy to use sharing features for spouse to be able to get in. Keeper has the capacity to get back in if you forget your master password through a question authentication process, which Dashlane does not have.

On the family plan, each family has their own vault with their own security and each member controls who has access, even among family, so family plan doesn't mean the administrator gets to see into other vaults. It's just a bulk option as far as I can tell, though there may be some easier secure document sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
From the link I saw some "free" managers. Let us know if you do go with a "free" one and how user friendly it is.
LastPass seems to be the only free program that widely gets good reviews. I've not looked at close enough because nearly every review seems to prefer the paid plans, but then say "LastPass is the best of the free." However, LastPass also has features that can only be unlocked by subscription. They just offer more before subscription kicks in.

I've not played around with them because I'm not going to use them - more because I only have time to test a couple and Dashlane / Keeper emerged at the top of my heap.

Dirk
Old 08-15-2018, 06:58 AM   #14
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I have used LastPass since it came out with no issues. I also use Firefox as my primary web browser and the two work well together.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #15
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I forgot about this thread.

I ended up testing and keeping Keeper. Dashlane was a close second but didn't work for family plans.

Frustratingly, as a part of this process, I've learned better how to manage Apple's own password manager, generator, but that only works in the Apple eco-system so I'm keeping Keeper for everything.

Dirk
Old 08-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #16
Joeli
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I forgot about this thread.

I ended up testing and keeping Keeper. Dashlane was a close second but didn't work for family plans.

Frustratingly, as a part of this process, I've learned better how to manage Apple's own password manager, generator, but that only works in the Apple eco-system so I'm keeping Keeper for everything.

Dirk
Thank you for taking the time and reporting back!

Upcoming:
Mar 2019 - PVB
Jan 2019 - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea
Nov 2018 - Swan
Sept 2018 - BWV/AKV (Kidani)

Done:
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote