home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #81
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
At Christmas 2016 MK opened at 7am every day for the week until NYE. I think it was normal practice and has been since. Until 2020 of course.
No surprise there, but the instance(s) I'm thinking of were I think in early Dec, when it really wasn't that crowded.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:44 PM   #82
zulaya
Grand Villa

I'm wondering how long this will last or if it will end up being a short-lived experiment like the Character Caravan that was put in place in from Oct 2001- Sept 2002.

https://allears.net/walt-disney-worl...acter-caravan/

This took the place of "Early Entry" into the parks.

DVC Member since 2002.

Next trip: Hopefully 2021
zulaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:29 PM   #83
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
No surprise there, but the instance(s) I'm thinking of were I think in early Dec, when it really wasn't that crowded.
Been there, done that. DD and I were the only two to be at the MK bright and early. Good times!
Old 01-12-2021, 04:26 PM   #84
Maddismom
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrspepe View Post
Sad for us...we only ever used the evening hours. During our last big family trip, January 2019, the evening EMH worked really well for us. We had no waits at all.
Same for us! Teenagers especially liked the evening hours and I must say it was fun being in MK at midnight and even until 2 am during our holiday trip when EMH went that late or should I say early
Maddismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:07 PM   #85
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddismom View Post
Same for us! Teenagers especially liked the evening hours and I must say it was fun being in MK at midnight and even until 2 am during our holiday trip when EMH went that late or should I say early
This is the big difference in recent years. Between the cut back from 3 hours, and the earlier close times in general, the late night advantage of EMH was really gone. I remember trips in the '08-'09 timeframe in which we were in the parks until 2a, now you're lucky if EMH goes past 10-11. The new EMH times are the old regular close times, so the crowds are just much, much, larger than they used to be.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:46 PM   #86
disneyteach
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post
It may be 30 minutes 'early' at first, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the long-term effect is that off-site guests are really entering 30 minutes late. In other words, what used to be a 9am open would become 9 and 9:30, not 8:30 and 9!
I don't know...I think, if anything, it will actually be an hour early for on-site guests, just not advertised. Kind of like how the parks are right now anyways.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #87
Saaz124
Studio

For us this change won't affect us much. EMH meant huge crowds all day long.
We steered clear of those parks on those days. Walking around MK or Epcot late at night was kind of cool at times, but the crowds usually made us go elsewhere. The early-in EMH didn't seem to be as bad.
Saaz124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #88
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddismom View Post
It turns out that DW wasn't too thrilled about the evening EMH on our trip in ~2009 when we started at DHS at ~8am for early EMH and left MK sometime around 2am. Fit EPCOT in between them. Just found that out recently. She was a good sport though.

Last edited by D C; 01-13-2021 at 11:33 AM.
D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:56 AM   #89
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaz124 View Post
For us this change won't affect us much. EMH meant huge crowds all day long.
We steered clear of those parks on those days. Walking around MK or Epcot late at night was kind of cool at times, but the crowds usually made us go elsewhere. The early-in EMH didn't seem to be as bad.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:27 PM   #90
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrspepe View Post
Sad for us...we only ever used the evening hours. During our last big family trip, January 2019, the evening EMH worked really well for us. We had no waits at all.
We rarely, if ever, caught EMH in the morning. We adore Disney at night, so this will be a big negative hit for us.

We will likely use the 30 minutes early at times, and I do like how it is evenly spread out.

Hopefully these pull backs or alternative options dip back in over time.

DME is going to be a giant hit. We always used it and we always appreciated the bubble being extended to the airport.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote