home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Springs
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
Jedimom3
Two Bedroom

Default Disney Springs movie theater/Solo premiere

Any opinions on the AMC movie theater in Disney Springs? Specifically anyone gone on an opening night/weekend?

We will be in Disney when Solo premieres. DH says we can wait til we get home to see it and not take time away from Disney. Blasphemy! Kidding. I could probably manage that, but I was just wondering how insane this location might be on opening night/weekend, if a good venue in general, or if there are any other nearby theaters that might be better.

Will probably end up waiting. but on the off chance we extend our trip (if I'm released from work early and can add vacation days,) we would consider seeing it in Orlando

The only other movie I waited significant time for was Empire....We were on a huge family trip up the east coast that summer. I remember being in Williamsburg and seeing the poster at that tiny theater there, and my mom saying 'we didn't come to Williamsburg to see a movie!" We made it back home the week before it left the theater, so it's also the only one I've only seen once in the theater (until this new one, TLJ,)
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
DeniseKayC
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
Any opinions on the AMC movie theater in Disney Springs? Specifically anyone gone on an opening night/weekend?

We will be in Disney when Solo premieres. DH says we can wait til we get home to see it and not take time away from Disney. Blasphemy! Kidding. I could probably manage that, but I was just wondering how insane this location might be on opening night/weekend, if a good venue in general, or if there are any other nearby theaters that might be better.

Will probably end up waiting. but on the off chance we extend our trip (if I'm released from work early and can add vacation days,) we would consider seeing it in Orlando

The only other movie I waited significant time for was Empire....We were on a huge family trip up the east coast that summer. I remember being in Williamsburg and seeing the poster at that tiny theater there, and my mom saying 'we didn't come to Williamsburg to see a movie!" We made it back home the week before it left the theater, so it's also the only one I've only seen once in the theater (until this new one, TLJ,)
I believe the theater in Disney Springs is the kind that you not only buy ahead of time, but you pick your seats ahead of time as well. Cuts down significantly on the craziness.

If you do plan to go, I would definitely purchase far in advance and get your seats locked down, then all you have to do is show up! Without buying in advance I would guess you may be shut out opening weekend.
DeniseKayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
noreen99
Two Bedroom

We are traveling during the same time...with a huge Star Wars fan.

Not sure if the Galatic night scheduled for Sunday will have an effect on opening weekend at Disney Springs. I am pretty much guessing that it could swing crowd levels either way.

It's my understanding that those nights have previously sold out pretty quickly, yet there were tickets available this morning.
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
cw62803
One Bedroom

We went on the opening weekend of Finding Dory. We were there early in the day, so it wasn't jam-packed (and ticket prices are lower.). It was an awesome experience seeing a brand new Disney movie on Disney property.
cw62803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw62803 View Post
We went on the opening weekend of Finding Dory. We were there early in the day, so it wasn't jam-packed (and ticket prices are lower.). It was an awesome experience seeing a brand new Disney movie on Disney property.
Did they do anything special for finding Dory? I ask because my oldest just booked Thanksgiving week in hopes of seeing Wreck it Ralph 2 premiere on site.
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #6
cw62803
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen99 View Post
Did they do anything special for finding Dory? I ask because my oldest just booked Thanksgiving week in hopes of seeing Wreck it Ralph 2 premiere on site.
Just the movie when I went. If I remember correctly, they had a pre-release DVC showing earlier.
cw62803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

We went to 2 movies there last Dec. We saw Thor Ragnarok in the dinner theater area and we saw Last Jedi on opening night in regular seating. For both movies we purchased seats ahead of time and picked out seats.
The reserved seats part was nice. Overall I was not impressed. The theaters are not kept clean or well maintained and the service was meh. On the night we saw Thor, it was really, really slow- and so was everyone working there. Staff was nice enough, but they will help you when they get around to it. Restrooms were not clean and were in need of maintenance. Food was ok, just slow service and there were only maybe 4 parties in that theater.

When we saw Last Jedi on opening night, lines at concessions were insane. I know it was busy, but they knew that was going to happen. Restrooms were really bad, again, they know itís going to be a sell out, bring in extra staff! Also was annoyed about seating. The chart we used showed that we were 2 seats from an aisle. We were 2 seats from a wall. Who runs theater a whole row of theater seats all the way to a wall? I had to ďgoĒ before the movie finished ( as always which is why I always sit near aisle) and had to crawl over an entire row of people to get out and to get back in - not happy about that. Also, found those reclining seats to be well worn.

We would probably go again if there was something we wanted to see, but it was not what I was expecting. Tickets were expensive and web site gives impression that this will be a higher end experience. Definitely did not meet expectations. The old style theater near my house which doesnít even have 3D screens gives a far better experience, as it is clean, well maintained and they move very quickly to get you in the door, through the concessions and into your seat.

Disney Springs is a great location to have a great movie experience. Itís a shame they are not giving you one. Again, not saying donít go, just donít expect anything special.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

This is one of the reasons that SSR is one our favorite locations, we love DS. We have seen a new release Disney movie on each visit for the last ... 10? years.

We have not caught first day releases, but that kind of thing can be crazy anywhere. Since there is limited seating it can never be as deathly crowded as MK on NYE.

Another option, we have gone to the dine-in theater several times. (same complex, other side by Orange Garage). Because of the reduced seating it never feels overly crowded. However, opening day of Solo will probably be completely booked by now. Might be worth checking the times; you can purchase your tickets online.

https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-th...ney-springs-24
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarado8899 View Post
This is one of the reasons that SSR is one our favorite locations, we love DS. We have seen a new release Disney movie on each visit for the last ... 10? years.

We have not caught first day releases, but that kind of thing can be crazy anywhere. Since there is limited seating it can never be as deathly crowded as MK on NYE.

Another option, we have gone to the dine-in theater several times. (same complex, other side by Orange Garage). Because of the reduced seating it never feels overly crowded. However, opening day of Solo will probably be completely booked by now. Might be worth checking the times; you can purchase your tickets online.

https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-th...ney-springs-24
I just checked, screen times are not even released yet. That may very well be an option if you keep your eye on it.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #10
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
We went to 2 movies there last Dec. We saw Thor Ragnarok in the dinner theater area and we saw Last Jedi on opening night in regular seating. For both movies we purchased seats ahead of time and picked out seats.
The reserved seats part was nice. Overall I was not impressed. The theaters are not kept clean or well maintained and the service was meh. On the night we saw Thor, it was really, really slow- and so was everyone working there. Staff was nice enough, but they will help you when they get around to it. Restrooms were not clean and were in need of maintenance. Food was ok, just slow service and there were only maybe 4 parties in that theater.

When we saw Last Jedi on opening night, lines at concessions were insane. I know it was busy, but they knew that was going to happen. Restrooms were really bad, again, they know it’s going to be a sell out, bring in extra staff! Also was annoyed about seating. The chart we used showed that we were 2 seats from an aisle. We were 2 seats from a wall. Who runs theater a whole row of theater seats all the way to a wall? I had to “go” before the movie finished ( as always which is why I always sit near aisle) and had to crawl over an entire row of people to get out and to get back in - not happy about that. Also, found those reclining seats to be well worn.

We would probably go again if there was something we wanted to see, but it was not what I was expecting. Tickets were expensive and web site gives impression that this will be a higher end experience. Definitely did not meet expectations. The old style theater near my house which doesn’t even have 3D screens gives a far better experience, as it is clean, well maintained and they move very quickly to get you in the door, through the concessions and into your seat.

Disney Springs is a great location to have a great movie experience. It’s a shame they are not giving you one. Again, not saying don’t go, just don’t expect anything special.
Oh yes, this is not a deluxe villa. These are super crowded, high traffic, movie theaters. I will say that during lower traffic times it is much more tenable with light traffic and a causal atmosphere. I despise crowds.

I did not find ticket prices were not far from our local prices, in fact, as disney things go, probably one of the cheapest things we do at disney. The dine-in side is better, but more of a Alamo style with food that beats your typical QS, but subpar from your average TS. Maybe akin to Sci Fi in quality and price.

Personally hate the "upscale" places around here that cost me $200 to take the kids to the movie for attempted "upscale" food. We do hit Alamo Drafthouse when we can. The regular theater is just an average AMC theater, so if you go in expecting "Disney" you are bound to be disappointed.