home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Springs
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 12-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #1
Joel0917
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Allen Park, MI
Posts: 1,034
Default Star Wars secrets of the empire VR review

Did this last night with my family. 4 of us. They were having some technical issues and we waited an hour for our 545 time. We finally put our VR gear on about 650pm. It's a bit disorganized getting people in line with the correct times. A bit more training would help.
Once inside u have to self serve your tickets and get a wrist band. One person enters all parties names and digital waivers for kids.
Then u join another line where folks get a mission briefing 8 at a time and select the color of your storm trooper. U do this by scanning your badge. It gives u about 45 seconds to do this and then stops. It is not easy. U have to have your wristband scan about 6 inches away and it doesn't tell u and one guy is helping 8 people.
My son didn't get his down and he got upset and started crying. They did tell us in the next room they can scan u in directly which they did.
U then wait in another line where 4 at a time u wait to get your gear on. Back pack and a pretty heavy headset.
They are very thorough in setting u up. But a wife was a bit grossed out by how they don't really clean everything super well. Think of a 100 degree summer day and how gross those vests will be to put on after someone was nice and sweaty.

So at this point we are an hour in and we're like...this better be worth it.

And holy crap!!!! It was amazing. This is not some cheap PlayStation VR. This was amazing. 360 degree. U are a storm trooper and u see everyone in your party as a storm trooper! U shoot guns, battle a fire monster, fight tons of storm troopers and then battle Darth Vader. U do walk rooom to room, fly in shuttles and so much more.
Amazing amazing amazing.

My wife knows nothing about Star Wars and she loved it. My ds10 is a huge fan and LOVED it. So did dd13.
We paid $154 for the three of us. They did apologize a lot for the delay. But if one part breaks down then it all backs up. And they still have to get everyone through who had an earlier time. The computer doesn't stop selling to make up for the down time so once it goes down, they can't recover until the end of the night.
Id say do it early so
Less back up. Any questions?
__________________
Sep 97 - First WDW trip
Since then wdw: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
2014,2015
Stayed: SSR, AKV,AKL, THV, All star music, Pop Century, AofA, BLT, CBR.
Disneyland: 1998,2010, 2014, 2016
Stayed: VGC in 14/16
2016 - SSR/AKV and BLT
2017 BLT, SSR, AKV and coronado
Disney cruise: 2007, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016
Wonder 2x and Fantasy 4x
Upcoming:
July 18 - Disney Magic Barcelona
F&W - AKV
NYE - BLT
Disney Fantasy March 2019

Last edited by Joel0917; 12-29-2017 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Joel0917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
Chris71855
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 41
Default



Super fun. Same thing happened with our group as well, there were some technical issues so we waited for about an extra hour.

We never made it to Daryl Vader though, we only saw his menacing older brother.
Chris71855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
PSULion22
Grand Villa
 
PSULion22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 3,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris71855 View Post


Super fun. Same thing happened with our group as well, there were some technical issues so we waited for about an extra hour.

We never made it to Daryl Vader though, we only saw his menacing older brother.
Lucky you. That level just has you filing a ton of TPS reports. Daryl is an ass.

PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
Rigby
Two Bedroom
 
Rigby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel0917 View Post
Did this last night with my family. 4 of us. They were having some technical issues and we waited an hour for our 545 time. We finally put our VR gear on about 650pm. It's a bit disorganized getting people in line with the correct times. A bit more training would help.
Once inside u have to self serve your tickets and get a wrist band. One person enters all parties names and digital waivers for kids.
Then u join another line where folks get a mission briefing 8 at a time and select the color of your storm trooper. U do this by scanning your badge. It gives u about 45 seconds to do this and then stops. It is not easy. U have to have your wristband scan about 6 inches away and it doesn't tell u and one guy is helping 8 people.
My son didn't get his down and he got upset and started crying. They did tell us in the next room they can scan u in directly which they did.
U then wait in another line where 4 at a time u wait to get your gear on. Back pack and a pretty heavy headset.
They are very thorough in setting u up. But a wife was a bit grossed out by how they don't really clean everything super well. Think of a 100 degree summer day and how gross those vests will be to put on after someone was nice and sweaty.

So at this point we are an hour in and we're like...this better be worth it.

And holy crap!!!! It was amazing. This is not some cheap PlayStation VR. This was amazing. 360 degree. U are a storm trooper and u see everyone in your party as a storm trooper! U shoot guns, battle a fire monster, fight tons of storm troopers and then battle Daryl Vader. U do walk rooom to room, fly in shuttles and so much more.
Amazing amazing amazing.

My wife knows nothing about Star Wars and she loved it. My ds10 is a huge fan and LOVED it. So did dd13.
We paid $154 for the three of us. They did apologize a lot for the delay. But if one part breaks down then it all backs up. And they still have to get everyone through who had an earlier time. The computer doesn't stop selling to make up for the down time so once it goes down, they can't recover until the end of the night.
Id say do it early so
Less back up. Any questions?
Thanks for the review. Can't wait to check this out. There's a great writeup about this on rollingstone.com if anyone's interested. Any idea how far in advance you can book this? We'll be back down in June. Thanks!
__________________
Rigby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #5
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 30,697
Default

Sounds very cool, thanks for the review. Won’t do it solo, but could be convinced with a group.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
MMC1
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
Thanks for the review. Can't wait to check this out. There's a great writeup about this on rollingstone.com if anyone's interested. Any idea how far in advance you can book this? We'll be back down in June. Thanks!
Tried to google article but did find the more current article about Gaming Disorders officially recognized by World Health Organization
(WHO)
The Orlando Sentinel has article also about this Disney Springs

Opened Dec 15 in Disney Springs and Jan 5 Disneyland Downtown Disney.
$29.95 tickets available (calendar) thevoid.com Hours: 9a.m. - 11:45p.m.
WDW calendar thru Feb 14 dates and DL already selling timeslots thru March23

Last edited by MMC1; 12-30-2017 at 10:20 AM. Reason: add info
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
disneyteach
Two Bedroom
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: OH
Posts: 661
Default

This sounds so cool! DH & DS would love this so I might try to get them set up when we go in May.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #8
Jedimom3
Two Bedroom
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Tennessee via South Louisiana
Posts: 818
Default

Thanks for the review. Hope they can get the kinks worked out, or at least not overload the schedule and allow for tech issues. Sounds like a lot of fun!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:00 PM   #9
ealvarado8899
Two Bedroom
 
ealvarado8899's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 961
Default

Can you tell a tad more about it?

Specifically:
  • How much time do you get in VR? Is it until you die or complete something?
  • Anyone in your group in glasses? Glasses are often a huge problem for VR, I know some headsets are so close that you don't need glasses.
  • I see the cost in another post says $30 each, but you said you paid $154 for 3 which is ~$50 each.
  • Do you know if the hours of operation followed the hours of Disney Spring?

Sound fun! Our next visit is in March so I might try and fit this in!
__________________
----------------------------------------------------
Next Visit
June 2019 - OKW (unless I change my mind again)
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:46 PM   #10
IslaTurbine
One Bedroom
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 212
Default

Thanks for the review. I'd really like to my DS this February but they are only selling tix through 2/14. I'm hoping they'll add more dates.
IslaTurbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 AM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software