home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > "Mick"-boxing (a.k.a. The Exercise Forum)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Default 2021 Walt Disney World Marathon & Disney Princess Half Marathon gone virtual!

https://www.rundisney.com/advisory/

During this unusual time, race organizers around the world continue to pause on hosting in-person race events that draw large crowds. As we look at the 2021 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend and 2021 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend, we will convert both of these races to virtual events, similar to our offering for the 2020 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend.

While we share our Guestsí disappointment that we will not be running together in person, we have based this decision on the unique circumstances of hosting a road race experience on this scale under the current environment.

Participants who registered through runDisney.com will have the option of receiving a full refund for the race. Those who are registered with a U.S. mailing address may convert their existing registration to the new virtual event that can be completed from home, a local running track or favorite running trail.

Eligible runners who participate in the virtual race will receive a medal for each distance they complete and the option of a race shirt, in addition to the satisfaction of completing the race theyíve trained for. Registered participants will receive an email beginning September 23 with instructions on how to make their registration selection before October 7, 2020.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Default Marathon 2021 just went virtual

Run Disney just sent e-mail. Converting to virtual race. Can get refund if you want. We had 5 runners in the 10K. Will take refunds.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s): 8/31-9/2 AKV (club) & 9/2-7 BCV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Run Disney just sent e-mail. Converting to virtual race. Can get refund if you want. We had 5 runners in the 10K. Will take refunds.
Definitely. I can do all of my virtual running right here without paying anyone

"...in addition to the satisfaction of completing the race they’ve trained for."

What an amusing attempt to get people to not request a refund

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; 09-22-2020 at 04:07 PM.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Definitely. I can do all of my virtual running right here without paying anyone

"...in addition to the satisfaction of completing the race they’ve trained for."

What an amusing attempt to get people to not request a refund

Cheers.
IKR
DDs want to do it for the stupid medals. Ridiculous. I am getting a refund. Unless they want to pay me the $129 each (for a $15 medal), LOL. Edit to add...guess it would be a $50 medal since it includes an $80 gift card. Still ridiculous.

Next trip(s): 8/31-9/2 AKV (club) & 9/2-7 BCV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Old 09-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #5
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
IKR
DDs want to do it for the stupid medals. Ridiculous. I am getting a refund. Unless they want to pay me the $129 each (for a $15 medal), LOL. Edit to add...guess it would be a $50 medal since it includes an $80 gift card. Still ridiculous.
I only want medals for races I've actually run. Then again, I've run a few over the years

Cheers.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I only want medals for races I've actually run. Then again, I've run a few over the years

Cheers.
Wowza! Them's a lot of medals. Great job!! This 10K would have been my first. Oh well. Guess I can slack off on training now.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:44 PM   #7
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Ooops. I posted too. Can you delete mine or merge. Sorry.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #8
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Default RunDisney Marathon Weekend & Princess are Virtual

RunDisney has announced that neither Marathon or Princess weekends will take place at Disney but you can do a virtual run and they will mail you a real medal.

https://www.rundisney.com/events/dis...athon-weekend/

https://www.rundisney.com/events/dis...athon-weekend/
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #9
Cjkmiller
Two Bedroom

I saw this yesterday and it made me so sad. I have run in the Princess weekend for 6 years and I love it. Over the years we now have 9 of us running different race including my DD10 who runs the 5k with us. I donít know whether to cancel the trip or not... do virtual and still go and run around disney property?? I donít know if that would make me sad. I know there is no way to distance in a corral or on the course or how to run in a mask... just further proof this isnít ending any tome soon. I hate reality sometimes.
Cjkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #10
bigbahamadada
Grand Villa

I've done a few RunDisney events and enjoyed them. Not really sure I understand the appeal of "virtual" races (other than to Disney, of course).

The Virtual Castaway Key Challenge seems like a double slap of reality . . . you can't race and you can't cruise -- but how about sending us a couple hundred bucks to remind of you the current state of affairs?????
bigbahamadada is offline   Reply With Quote